Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Basic Figure Line  (Read 57334 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Basic Figure Line
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Yodasnews.com is tweeting from the Hasbro slide show.  Nothing major beyond the Hoth wave yet (Echo Base Han is what we expected, still has the horrible torso joint though).

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2010, 04:14 PM »
Yakface's facebook page has pics of the slides, actual AT-AT, Cloud Car, boxed Snowspeeder.  Some of this stuff I guess is not the Vintage basic figure line but here you go anyway. 

Vinty basic figuers I think were: 

Dengar
Han Solo Echo Base
Leia Hoth
Luke Bespin
At-At Cmdr
Dak Ralter
Boba Fett - looked like a new cape?
Cloud Car Pilot - mustache
Darth Vader
C-3PO

Mail-A-Way Rocket Firing Fett

Exlusive 4-Lom/Zuckuss Convention 2 pack - Available online
Darth Maul/Uncle Owen Lars - Visionairies convention 2 pack
Camie/Fixer - 2 pack
Snowspeeder
Cloud Car
Remote Control Falcon
Remote Control HailFire Droid

Roleplay Boba Fett Helmet
Roleplay Greivous spinning lightsaber

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2010, 04:19 PM »
The following is a paraphrased quote from a forumite here who is at Toy Fair. I didn't want to give his name in case he didn't want to be named so here's just the info form ToyFair:

The AT-AT and two other OT vehicles will be available in Kenner style vintage packaging at TRU while the general release will have the new blue, cloudy Captain Rex packaging. Only the packaging is exclusive.

The MSRP on the vintage line will be $7.99 while the Clone Wars and Legends will carry a $6.99 MSRP. The new Galactic Battle Game will come with Clone Wars and Saga Legends figures.

You may be happy to know that it looks like we're getting a Mando Guard in the CW line as well as Aurra Sing, new Grievous and Battle Droids. Cad Bane on his speeder. Looks like abou 31 figures in the CW line this year.

Confirmation on the Mandolorian with speeder bike in the Deluxe line. New Interceptor Tank. The Hailfire Droid I in the R/C line, comes with a figure and missiles you can launch from the remote. Also, Battle Packs for CW, one of which supports the Hailfire droid.

The ESB Han solo has been confirmed as the "welding" version, where he appears on the Falcon with Chewie on Hoth. New Hoth Leia coming along with others we've already seen; Luke, Dengar and AT-AT Commander. New C-3PO on his was as well as Dak and Cloud Car pilot which Hasbro confirmed last week in a Q&A.

The Rocket Firing Fett will have J-slot and a small missle with a longer launching version. Classic 5 points of articulation and paint apps like Kenner. 5 POPs for the offer.

Galactic Heroes line will have an AT-AT also. New GH figs will include some from the EU like Republic Commandos.

The Teek figure we saw this week will be in a Disney exclusive Star Tours boarding set.

Confirmation on the Camie and Fixer comic pack for Celebration V exclusive. Also, 4-LOM and Zuckuss.
Darth Maul and Owen Lars are SDCC exclusives.

Great, so higher price for collector figures, yet the CW gets a game piece and costs less. Go figure. I suppose it's because Hasbro will produce less figures for the vintage line so this is their way of making up the difference.

I'm not buying these for the card style. I just can't justify that anymore. If these are new figures great, I'll get them, but if they are just repacks then it's a pass for me. If it's a slight repaint then it's a pass, if it's a slight upgrade in articulation, it's a pass.

Anyone else feel like they are being burned by the higher price of the vintage line?

Hopefully the majority of the figures will be all new and warrant a purchase from us, otherwise I don't really see the point. They'll just keep driving away we long time fans. So be it then.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2010, 04:36 PM »
I don't mind the higher price at all.  First off, Clone Wars figures have much less articulation, and while wvery well made, have less paint opps too.

Anyway, I don't mind paying a dollar more for somthing that is aimed at ME, an adult collector with different tastes than an child.  Honestly, I'd pay 10.00 a fig if I was guaranteed oddball figures like Dr. Ezavan or Dak on retro cards.

And, it's really only a dollar more. 

Look, I'd just rather deal with the differences in prices, than give up the collector oriented focus that SW has had for years.  I would stop collecting if they stopped making background charcaters and one-line players.  What would be the point?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Carding is sharp, but I worry about a few things. First, thieves are running wild with the BAD parts; these are going to be super easy to tear into and take figures. Second, the punch-hole. If a figure you want is in the very back of the pegs, you have to take EVERYTHING off the pegs to get to it.

Also the MSRP usually never comes true. Remember, to stores Star Wars is Star Wars. It might take a few weeks but eventually everything will settle in at the same price. (probably $7.50)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2010, 08:10 PM »
Just looking through the pics and info a bit (JTA currently has the slide show up, but I'm sure it is on its way here soon too)...and it all looks pretty great to me.  So glad to see the vintage line look back, and that it is hanging around for awhile.  I think the overall size of the line is pretty good, and I was surprised to see we'd be getting all those rumored/confirmed ESB figures in the same wave to kick things off (eleven of them total I believe?).  Some are just slightly changed, but they all look pretty nice.  That's one problem (for me at least), the only lines I've really ever collected carded and loose are the VOTC/VTSC lines - this line will be tempting, and that could mean trouble.  Time to start saving up :).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:48 PM by Brian »

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Second, the punch-hole. If a figure you want is in the very back of the pegs, you have to take EVERYTHING off the pegs to get to it.

Please, someone who was at Toy-Fare, does Hasbro plan to have stick-on J-hooks or something?  I think the very feature Diddly is talking about is going to a huge problem for collectors at retail.  I'm not too worried about having to take 7 figures of the peg to get the 8th (ok, stop laughing now, I know its mythical to see 8 new figures at retail...).  What I am worried about is what is going to happen to the cards every time they are taken on and off the pegs.  Add to that the shoppers who will just tear the figure off the peg, and then won't buy the figure, so they'll end up in a pile at the bottom of the pegs.

I'm almost exclusively an opener, so I'm not too worried about the shape of the card, but there might be a few of these Vintage ones I keep carded.  Which seems to be a fairly common sentiment, if I'm reading the mood of JD right.  I have the distinct impression that come November there are going to be a lot of complaints from people who will be posting some variation of "I saw _____ at retail, only thing was the card was ripped off the peg, I'm still holding out for a card in good shape/not mangled."

Hopefully Hasbro will use plastic sticker style hooks that will come off the card cleanly or a similar solution.
I am not the Stig

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2010, 02:08 PM »
The cards have the vintage punch, but with a plastic re-inforcement on the back of the card that was designed to keep people from just pulling it off the pegs and ripping the top of the card.

Also, on the subject of the punch/hole - I've seen people talking about getting "unpunched" cards if they buy cases online - this may NOT be the case.  Hasbro said was that they were not sure HOW they were going to be packed in the factory.  They said it's possible that the maufacturer may ship them "unpunched" (to be "punched" when pegged), but they said that manufacturing may also punch them ahead of time in order to square up the placement of the plastic re-inforcements.  They made no guarantees on "unpunched" cards.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2010, 03:33 PM »
And a lot of the discussion about that after the show was that the card-cutting process isn't the same today as it was in 1978...  I know I wouldn't count on the machine leaving the holes "unpunched" because they don't work that way anymore really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2010, 03:55 PM »
And a lot of the discussion about that after the show was that the card-cutting process isn't the same today as it was in 1978...  I know I wouldn't count on the machine leaving the holes "unpunched" because they don't work that way anymore really.

You've never heard of "kiss-cut" then Jesse. It's still used in printing all the time. It's a readily available process.

I'm in advertising/design/printing don't forget. We use this process ourselves several times a year.

Just a couple of years ago the VOTC line had unpunched cards. That process hasn't changed, believe me. If Hasbro wants to make it happen they will.

Since these new Vintage style cards aren't going to be in a clamshell though, there really isn't a need to send these unpunched, save for those few collectors who want their cards cherry.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2010, 04:17 PM »
The question though is Hasbro going to go to their factories and ask them to do special set-ups on the machines or run these through separate machinery, to appease packaged fans?  I doubt that. 

Almost anything's possible to be duplicated, but in the 1970's/1980's the cards were cranked out of the factories that way.  That's changed today.  Is it even possible for them to get their current factories to do this for them?  That's debatable and only someone there knows.  I have no doubt it's possible to get done though of course.  I just wouldn't count on it happening since I imagine it takes some changes in the production process to happen that way.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2010, 02:45 PM »
I gave up the carded collecting a while back, and while I may be tempted to keep a few of the new figures carded, I don't think there is anything that can turn me back in to a carded collector. The high price of figures has been a big deterrent to purchasing much of anything, and it sure isn't going to turn back in to two of everything.

The one piece I don't understand is the pack-in anger. I think a mail away is a better deal than stands, slides or cards, and is just about the same as a BAD. Yes, you have to pay shipping this way, but the vinty cardbacks weren't going to work very well with a BAD element in them. It would have ruined the design behind the new cards.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Sorry if I missed the memo, but the little Fett stickers are easily removable - right?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2010, 06:18 PM »
Sorry if I missed the memo, but the little Fett stickers are easily removable - right?

That's what's been said, Mikey.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2010, 09:45 AM »
I never collected carded figures. The only carded figs I collected are the VOTC/VTSC lines and the McQuarries figures, but this year I will probably get a carded set to look good with the VOTC/VTSC, I am excited  :)  while my wallet :'(