Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Basic Figure Line  (Read 57311 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2010 "Vintage" Basic Figure Line
« on: January 3, 2010, 09:49 PM »
I wonder if they are finally rereleasing the old vintage molds?

There have been dozens of rumors that the "new" movie line will be using the "vintage" black/silver card style and the DPCI name adds more evidence to that.  It sure will be fun when all the vintage purist guys see those 2010/2011 prequel movie waves using their hallowed cardback.   :-X
« Last Edit: January 9, 2010, 12:04 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2010, 11:30 PM »
I've never totally gotten the anymosity to PT figures on vintage style cardbacks...  I gotta be honest.  I mean I understand there weren't any PT characters at the time and things, but to me they're trash you're throwing away after you open it anyway. 

I hope there are no altercations in the toy aisle. :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2010, 12:10 AM »
There have been dozens of rumors that the "new" movie line will be using the "vintage" black/silver card style and the DPCI name adds more evidence to that.  It sure will be fun when all the vintage purist guys see those 2010/2011 prequel movie waves using their hallowed cardback.   :-X

I welcome this cardback design/look for the movie/realistic line. In my opinion, the vintage cardbacks (and also what was similarly used for the VOTC/VTSC/VTAC waves) is a "classic" look that works well for both OT and PT figures. I know it would never happen, but I think it would be great if the realistic line stayed in this packaging style from now until it ended.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2010, 09:35 AM »
I welcome it as well.  I am really looking forward to many of these (Tarkin for example) if they pan out.  That includes PT figs.  I think our only regret will be that we don't get all the figures we want on these cards (which PT Obi will get repacked?  Will we see Slave Leia again?).

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2010, 10:15 AM »
It sure will be fun when all the vintage purist guys see those 2010/2011 prequel movie waves using their hallowed cardback.   :-X

We are NOT amused.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2010, 10:46 AM »
I wonder if they are finally rereleasing the old vintage molds?

I doubt it would happen, but who knows...Hasbro has been playing around with a few vintage GI Joe molds as of late though.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Although I can sort of understand those who don't want PT figures on "vintage" cardbacks, I'm all for that style of card as well.  I loved the VOTC/VTSC figures, and the OTC line was along the same lines, and there's just something about a silver/black look that really says Star Wars to me.  I just like having those big character pictures on the cards, as well as the whole nostalgia factor of it.  I think we're going to see something similar to the vintage cardbacks, but maybe slightly different (like the way the 25th Joes had the silver on the cards at first, or something like that).  The problem is that I might be tempted to collect carded if they are close enough to the VOTC/VTSC/vintage lines.  Aside from a couple sub-collections and miscellaneous figures, those are the only things I've bought carded and loose - if the whole line has that spiffy look, it might be more tempting.  I guess those who don't like the PT figures on the cards can just toss the packaging, or stick to the OT figures.  Calling them "vintage" seems silly in a way, but oh well.  I'm really looking forward to what Toy Fair will show us regarding the "movie" line.  Sort of nice to see the big vehicle possibly continuing, I really hope it is an OT offering.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2010, 12:53 PM »
I'm pleasantly surprised if Hasbro mixe sthe retro-styled vintage cardback w/ both PT/OT characters. However, I wonder if SL will continue with the new look going out. Unless SL has a new cardback all to itself...  ::)
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2010, 01:34 PM »
I don't know how many, if any, vintage figure molds still exist.  Even in 1996/97 when Hasbro did that Classic 4-pack for TRU they had to create molds off vintage figures to get it done.  I don't expect to ever see vintage style figures again, unless it's a 1-off for a convention exclusive or some type of then and now set like they just did for the Joe line.

But even the old O-ring Joe molds have about had it. I was surprised to see that then and now set at Target this year holiday season.

I'm not entirely in favor of PT characters on vintage cardbacks.  It's all part of that "what's old is new again" thing that I don't always care for.  I liked the OTC and Saga Collection cards which had a vintage feel to them without being direct copies.  I'm fine with something like that.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2010, 12:04 AM »
ToyArk has a bit of scoop on the 2010 "Vintage" line...

BASIC FIGURES 087-06-1351 - 3.75 VINTAGE - $7.99 Hasbro will be releasing vintage cardbacks for this years basic figure collection. The pics show (VOTC) was used to illustrate the vintage look and the direction of the line. We will see the actual product at this years Toy Fair.

• Collectors focused sku
  • Collection of the best figures on the market
  • Episode 2 figures on vintage cardbacks for the first time
  • The return of the Bounty hunt series (foiled packaging)
« Last Edit: January 9, 2010, 12:05 AM by Jeff »

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Basic Figure Line
« Reply #10 on: January 9, 2010, 12:25 AM »
• Collection of the best figures on the market - in other words - Repacks  ::)
• Episode 2 figures on vintage cardbacks for the first time  ::) ::)
• The return of the Bounty hunt series (foiled packaging)  ::) ::) ::)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2010, 12:51 AM »
• Collection of the best figures on the market - in other words - Repacks  ::)

Well, they had already mentioned in the Q&A that there would be plenty of repacks in the Fall, so that's not a surprise.  Hopefully we can get some of the "better" repacks - I'd love to see Stormtrooper Han/Luke on a kenner-esque card.  Same for the Jawa.

And the return of the "UGH" foil stuff?  pass.  Not going to worry about playing that game...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 9, 2010, 01:02 AM »
I'm expecting to get more info at Toy Fair, but I sincerely hope this new Vintage line isn't repacks. The original selling point of the Vintage line was, besides the packaging, that these were NEW figures, and the best versions of those figures to boot. (of course not all of the Vintage figures were the "best" but c'est la vie) It feels like this is just being done to piss off the Vintage collectors. That "Best Figures" line scares me too, because I'm thinking that's another excuse for Hasbro to give us MORE Goddamn Plo Koons and Saesee Tinns. ::)

Oh, and that foil line was a flop the first time they tried it. Pretty awful idea, considering the amount of carded collectors who no longer collect carded.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: January 9, 2010, 01:24 AM »
I sincerely hope this new Vintage line isn't repacks.

This is what they said in the Q&A:

"In Fall, there will be waves for EpII, III, V, and VI (although not in that order) with about 24 new/retooled characters for Fall debuting along with a number of "greatest hits" (package refreshed) to round out the waves. "

Then, another rumor said something to the effect of 24 new/upgrade figures and 16-21 repacks for ~40-45 figures in the Fall 2010 line.

I really think this is a great move on Hasbro's part.  Depending on the execution (ie, who they pick to repack), I'm sure a number of once-upon-a-time carded collectors (such as myself) will consider reverting back to buying figures to keep carded, which can only help the bottom line...  (I can already feel myself heading that way again and grabbing some of these carded to compliment my existing VOTC/VTSC/VTAC carded collection  ::)).

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 9, 2010, 01:50 AM »
I was talking about this with a fellow collector the other day and we were wondering how many people were going to be disappointed when the "vintage" line will basically be repacks with a handful of new characters thrown in, with the cardback being the only distinct part.

I think some people hear "vintage" and all they can picture is card after card of new, definitive versions of all their favorite characters, in some case OT only, and I can almost guarantee that's not what it's going to be.  It's going to be figs that you can find on the pegs now, just with new card backs.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"