Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Basic Figure Line  (Read 57317 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Basic Figure Line
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2010, 08:41 PM »
I'm all for Wedge, ANH or ROTJ.  I'm kind of curious about the idea the ANH wave is being broken up - I wonder if that means the themed waves are over at the end of this year (sooner?).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2010, 01:49 AM »
I wonder if that means the themed waves are over at the end of this year (sooner?).

In that same Q&A answer, they mention the Spring 2011 TPM wave should be the last "theme" wave.  After that, things will get mixed, which unfortunately scatters the ANH stuff through all of 2011 instead of 1 wave - from JTWR Q&A:

The EpI will be an intact wave in Spring 2011, but the EpIV wave has been distributed across the rest of the year. Because the Vintage packaging won't change going from Spring 2011 into Fall, there will no slowdown or interruption in the waves so if everything runs as planned, new Spring waves will be out every 6 weeks or so.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2010, 02:21 AM »
Source -Jedi Temple War Room Q and A.

What's the deal with this?  Jedi Temple Archives is asking 2 questions and then 2 more under the guise of Jedi Temple War Room, which is what, just their forum name?

Are you kidding?

So where is your outrage at SSG & Collection Station for their coordinated Q&A efforts? 

Let's also take into account Sandtroopers & The Jawa which are both under the same umbrella.

Remember Rebelscum & their affiliate Cool Toy Review? 

Oh, and there's also Jedi Insider which is part of TNI...both participating in the Q&A. 

And then there's this very site which has staff here and at Han's Hideout.

Care to rethink the statement?

To be fair, I don't think efranks is showing "outrage" by asking a question Nick.  I was sort of confused by that myself this past round when clicking around different sites.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2010, 03:04 AM »
Source -Jedi Temple War Room Q and A.

What's the deal with this?  Jedi Temple Archives is asking 2 questions and then 2 more under the guise of Jedi Temple War Room, which is what, just their forum name?

Are you kidding?

So where is your outrage at SSG & Collection Station for their coordinated Q&A efforts? 

Let's also take into account Sandtroopers & The Jawa which are both under the same umbrella.

Remember Rebelscum & their affiliate Cool Toy Review? 

Oh, and there's also Jedi Insider which is part of TNI...both participating in the Q&A. 

And then there's this very site which has staff here and at Han's Hideout.

Care to rethink the statement?

I care to rethink whether or not I believe you're guilty of general asshattery maybe.  Why are you jumping on my ****?  You have a vested interest in the sites I singled out?  You sound like Mark from YN.

First of all, I didn't know Collection Station and SSG were affiliated with each other.

Second, Sandtroopers and Jawa were separate sites with separate owners that merged as were Han's Hideout and JD (only less on the "merge" and more on the "bought" side of things) which seems less of a head shaker to me since they started out as independent sites.

RS and CTR, on the other hand, don't compete in the same Q&A's; RS asks the Star Wars questions, CTR gets the other Hasbro properties (and other companies) which gives them the unique position of being above this petty argument.

I'll give you TNI and Jedi Insider.

JTA and the Jedi Temple War Room seems more of a blatant ploy to get 4 questions in each round seeing as how JTWR even states this is their "inaugural" session while they've been submitting questions, and posting the answers in the forum, just fine as JTA all along.

And if you're looking for all sorts of outrage, you forgot one; 16bit and Galactic Hunter...that's pretty similar to the JD/Han's Hideout arrangement.  If you're going to get pissed, make sure to go all the way.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2010, 12:01 PM »
I wonder if that means the themed waves are over at the end of this year (sooner?).

In that same Q&A answer, they mention the Spring 2011 TPM wave should be the last "theme" wave.  After that, things will get mixed, which unfortunately scatters the ANH stuff through all of 2011 instead of 1 wave - from JTWR Q&A:

The EpI will be an intact wave in Spring 2011, but the EpIV wave has been distributed across the rest of the year. Because the Vintage packaging won't change going from Spring 2011 into Fall, there will no slowdown or interruption in the waves so if everything runs as planned, new Spring waves will be out every 6 weeks or so.

It will be a bit of an adjustment not having "themed" waves anymore, but I guess that is how it used to be.  I mean, I remember the POTJ waves being largely mixed, and that was some of the most fun I had collecting a line.  Plus, with that unified "vintage" look, I could see how they could mix it up a bit.  I will say that I have sort of gotten used to getting a big "update" to a particular movie or area at once though (like Cantina aliens, Hoth, etc.)

I really like hearing the news (assuming it holds up) that we'll be seeing waves throughout the year next year.  This large Feb/Mar to Fall gap each of the last few years seems to have annoyed many of us, and it would be nice to have a more regular flow of product throughout the year.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2010, 12:41 PM »
From JTA:

Specials:
VCP01) 4-LOM™ (C5/JediCon exclusive)
VCP02) ZUCKUSS™ (C5/JediCon exclusive)
VCP03) BOBA FETT™ (Redemption item)

Wave 1:
VC01) DENGAR™
VC02) CLOUD CAR PILOT™
VC03) LEIA™ (HOTH™ OUTFIT)
VC04) HAN SOLO™ (ECHO BASE™ OUTFIT)
VC05) LUKE SKYWALKER™ (BESPIN™ FATIGUES)
VC06) AT-AT COMMANDER™
VC07) C-3PO™
VC08) DACK RALTER™
VC09) DARTH VADER™
VC10) BOBA FETT™
VC11) 4-LOM™

Wave 2/3:
VC12) DARTH SIDIOUS™
VC13) ANAKIN SKYWALKER™
VC14) SANDTROOPER™
VC15) CLONE TROOPER™
VC16) OBI-WAN KENOBI™
VC17) GENERAL GRIEVOUS™
VC18) MAGNAGUARD™
VC19) CLONE COMMANDER CODY™
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Hot **** on the Magnaguard!

So they are sticking an ANH sandtrooper in this wave?  

kinda surprised the AT-AT driver isn't in there somewhere.  I guess he could fit into the Legends line...

edit: also kinda disappointed that MeruMeru (the Wookie), or however you spell his name,  isn't in there.  But I guess I shoulda known since the "no all new figure" vibe is out there.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:53 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Weird...  those numbers don't match what was shown at Toy Fair - example below. 

VC02) CLOUD CAR PILOT™

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2010, 01:36 PM »
I thought the list looked off as I have #VC05 assigned to the AT-AT Commander and VC10 for 4-LOM.  ???
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2010, 02:34 PM »
I think we can attribute the mismatched numbers to the Toy Fair cards being mockups.  FWIW, one of the Boba Fett's on display at Toy Fair was the VOTC version.

The info that JTA received from Hasbro was sent out as a followup to the most recent Q&A session.  That info is only a couple of days old compared to what we saw at Toy Fair.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 02:36 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2010, 02:38 PM »
I think we can attribute the mismatched numbers to the Toy Fair cards being mockups.  

I'm sure that's part of it, it just seemed funny to me that the numbers changed from the mock-ups I guess.  Seems odd to number them a certain way for the mock-ups and then change it all... they must have their reason for it I guess.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2010, 03:14 PM »
It's definitely peculiar.  But then Hasbro did publicly say that the TLC RED line was going to include the BD24 General Grievous only to pull it from the case assortments.  Better that they make these changes now before the line makes it to retail.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2010, 03:57 PM »
I'm surprised to see Cody in the ROTS wave.  He's still shipping in the latest ESB case assortment.

I'm also surprised on the Sandtrooper.  ANOTHER F-ing Sandtrooper?  Really?  I think we had a rumor about that somewhere but since we've had them on the pegs pretty non-stop for the last three years I thought for sure they'd skip it.   The only positive is it could be the pack-in from the Dewback which, as long as it includes the new rifle, wouldn't be a bad thing.  I might even buy one.  Still.

I figured from the beginning, or at least since Toy Fair when they showed wave 1 to be all resculpts, that we'd see a lot of characters we already have, but to see not only characters we have but probably figures that are currenlty shipping just makes this more of a waste of time.

The only really collectible thing about this vintage line is the 6x9 piece of cardboard shipping with the figures.  There may be a handful of worthy upgrades, but the more I see, the less I think I'm going to be buying.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2010, 07:13 PM »
As someone who's wanted to see a Sandtrooper on the vintage card forever now, I'm happy to see it.  If this is correct, this means the ANH figure Hasbro mentioned in the recent QA is not Wedge; if he's coming this fall, he must be in the ROTJ wave.

Also happy to see Cody on a vintage card, even if I just bought him... the Magna Guard, too.  Here's hoping he's updated.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2010, 09:59 PM »
I think the reason the Sandtrooper is included is that it is one of those figures/characters that everyone sort of thought should have been seen in the original vintage line (along with others like Stormtrooper Han, Tarkin, Rebel Fleet Trooper, Slave Leia, etc.).  I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those recarded as well.  Personally, I don't really mind seeing that either - for the most part.  It looks like a lot of these waves will be upgrades and repacks, so as long as they use the true "best of the best" and don't start sticking older POTF2/POTJ/EPI/SAGA figures on these cards, I think it would be alright.  It does seem like they are going to hope the appeal of the "vintage cardback" will push the sales of a lot of these, because we have seen a lot of them not only recently (Cody), but often (Sandtrooper).

As for the ROTS wave, it looks like we're getting another wave of upgrades and repacks for the most part.  It will be interesting to see what is a resculpt and what isn't if this is what the wave really is.  From the pic we've seen, it looks like Grievous is just a repack with a new cape.  You would think Cody is a repack since he was just re-done.  I could see Anakin being a re-do, as Hasbro has stated in the past that he wasn't quite perfect.  Sidious is likely all new, as with the Magna Guard (we hope anyways).  Obi-Wan I would think is a repack, since the Pilot version is pretty much perfect for most I think.  I'm not sure what else they could do with the Clonetroopers, aside from improve articulation (hips) or something.  I'm pretty happy with them the way they are now.  A little disappointed to not see at least one all-new, never before made figure (like Merumeru as an example), but it could still make for a nice wave.