Author Topic: Boba Fett Mail-Away Offer?  (Read 64667 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Boba Fett Mail-Away Offer?
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2010, 03:32 PM »
At least we will be able to tell the difference between this and the "real thing". I wish we were getting one that looks like the prototype or maybe done in Holiday Special colors.  ;)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:33 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2010, 05:24 PM »
Do it Hasbro you have the molds.

Actually they probably don't, based on the condition of most 1980s toy tools these days.

The story of the 1995 Classic 4-Pack was that these were new figures based on the original *figures*-- not molds-- and were slightly downsized with the modern-sized foot peg hole.  It wouldn't stun me if this new Boba Fett were new tooling that's very faithful to the original but not quite an original Boba Fett.

(Personally I thought this was a bit of a drag of a choice.  I was peeved it wasn't a modern sculpt figure with a firing rocket in vintage "Kenner" colors when I first heard about it.)
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2010, 08:59 PM »
(Personally I thought this was a bit of a drag of a choice.  I was peeved it wasn't a modern sculpt figure with a firing rocket in vintage "Kenner" colors when I first heard about it.)

Count me in on those sentiments as well. I just can't wrap my head around what the appeal of this figure could possibly be.

If you're going to go vintage-looking, then why not make the figure that was actually shown in the offer stickers? The final Boba Fett figure looks NOTHING like that figure.

Instead they make a figure that LOOKS like the vintage Fett that was released only this one has the ability to have a spring loaded missile which, due to child safety standards that were put in place (and caused the original Vintage figure to be changed), is pretty much the same missile we got with the 300th edition Boba Fett. So again, it's off the mark from being the same type of mechanism that would have been offered by Kenner had some kids playing with BSG toys not decided to end it all by shooting the missiles down their throats.

In reading a lot of their Q&A answers, they frequently will mention whether or not a figure or vehicle meets a specific "need" for the line, has support of current media or fits into the bucket of a kind of play-pattern they are after. I can't think of one condition where this "new" vintage Fett fits into ANY of those buckets. Kids won't want this, there's no media to support it and since the figure doesn't fit in with the Animated Line or the Modern Vintage line, there's no compatible play-pattern.

I know that there are a lot of folks here who are really excited by this figure and admittedly, I will send away for one to put into my carded Vintage line collection. I do however, see this being a promotion just like the Captain Rex one where they extend the deadline for getting your money and PoPs in because they manufactured WAY more than what the demand is.

I would have rather seen them release a Boba Fett styled like the Clone Wars 3-D cartoon figures!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2010, 10:30 PM »
By the sounds of it, kids didn't want Legacy/realistic movie figures anyway. This figure and the new Vintage line in general isn't aimed at that demo either, it's aimed at the adult collector market that is left and at those who still appreciate modern collecting's roots with the added support of it being the 30th Anniversary of ESB.

In my opinion, it's a brilliant and unexpected move - an occurrence that is rare these days from Hasbro.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:32 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2010, 10:41 PM »
It wouldn't stun me if this new Boba Fett were new tooling that's very faithful to the original but not quite an original Boba Fett.

It was said at Toy Fair, and I think I repeated it here in the thread for everyone (somewhere), that this is a totally new sculpt actually that tried to be as faithful as possible to the original, but which will have subtle differences (none specifically were mentioned).  Definitely new though...  That was one of the things that will ultimately set it off from originals too, should the inevitable fakery come about.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:07 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2010, 10:54 PM »
Wow, are those really the photos?  That looks awful.   >:(  Why can't they just make it like the prototype shown?!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2010, 10:20 AM »
By the sounds of it, kids didn't want Legacy/realistic movie figures anyway. This figure and the new Vintage line in general isn't aimed at that demo either, it's aimed at the adult collector market that is left and at those who still appreciate modern collecting's roots with the added support of it being the 30th Anniversary of ESB.

In my opinion, it's a brilliant and unexpected move - an occurrence that is rare these days from Hasbro.

Yeah, I think Hasbro has even come to the concession that the Legacy, now Vintage Collection, is pretty much strictly for collectors.  I think that's why you are seeing them pull out all the stops as far as bringing back vintage packaging, slowing down the releases, focusing on "ultimate" versions of each release, and now this Fett mail away.  They are trying to appeal to the collectors primarily with this line now, and I guess if kids buy some too - all the better.  I for one sort of like the Fett mail away.  Its obviously something I (or most of us) wouldn't ever be able to get a "real" version of - so it is a nice nod to our audience I think.  I'm curious what the back of the card will look like on this one.  Since the rest of the "Vintage Collection" has a back different from the vintage line (but the same as VOTC), I'm wondering if they'd go with an "old school" back for this or not.  I don't believe it was shown, unless I'm just forgetting, but that would be kind of nifty.  I could see them having some sort of back explaining the history of the figure or something too.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2010, 10:22 AM »
(Personally I thought this was a bit of a drag of a choice.  I was peeved it wasn't a modern sculpt figure with a firing rocket in vintage "Kenner" colors when I first heard about it.)

I couldn't agree more. I am not crazy about this at all and would love a modern Fett in old school colors. That way it would contribute to my display as a generic Mando.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:25 AM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2010, 10:35 AM »
I'm curious what the back of the card will look like on this one.  Since the rest of the "Vintage Collection" has a back different from the vintage line (but the same as VOTC), I'm wondering if they'd go with an "old school" back for this or not.  I don't believe it was shown, unless I'm just forgetting, but that would be kind of nifty.

I would hope it's something old school.  Heck - I don't get why the standard vinty line can't have the backs like the old cards...It worked for GI Joe a few years ago.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2010, 11:11 AM »
I'm not sure I've seen this answered anywhere; did Hasbro mention at Toy Fair if you'll need POPs from the Vintage Collection figures to mail away for Fett or will they take Saga Legends and CW POPs as well?  And, what assortments?  Only the new 2010 assortments or will the 2008-2010 CW/SL/TLC assortments also work?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2010, 11:43 AM »
I don't have all my TF notes with me at work, but IIRC it sure sounded like only the new 2010 Vintage figures will be included in the Fett offer by using pack-in stickers and not POPs.

I can double-check my notes when I get home or maybe someone else (Jesse, Nick) could chime in with what they recall...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2010, 02:08 PM »
I'm curious what the back of the card will look like on this one.  Since the rest of the "Vintage Collection" has a back different from the vintage line (but the same as VOTC), I'm wondering if they'd go with an "old school" back for this or not.  I don't believe it was shown, unless I'm just forgetting, but that would be kind of nifty.

I would hope it's something old school.  Heck - I don't get why the standard vinty line can't have the backs like the old cards...It worked for GI Joe a few years ago.

I agree, I was sort of hoping they would go "all vintage" with the cardbacks, and have the old style backs with "31" figures or whatever (I guess in this case it could be 37).  Having pics of the figures on the way, with the colored backgrounds behind them and everything, would be kind of cool - just like the old days.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2010, 03:48 PM »
I think you're right Jeff, that the Vinty figures have a pack-in sticker and they're all that's included with that offer.  I wouldn't be shocked to see another Clone Wars offer later after the Vebb stuff's up.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 1, 2010, 10:37 AM »
This vintage re-release could be different from the vinty original if it comes with a corrected stand pose, that means
in 1978-1980 Fett stands tilted to the side. In the add his posture looks straight.

I suppose this because my vinty Fett stands tilted to the side.

Although there were two tri-logo repacks near 1985 which corrected his stand.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 6, 2010, 04:05 AM »
I wonder what the date stamp will be. Will be very displeased if it says 2010.  :P
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"