Author Topic: Boba Fett Mail-Away Offer?  (Read 64777 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Boba Fett Mail-Away Offer?
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2010, 03:41 PM »
whoa.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: 2010 Boba Fett Mail-Away Offer?
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2010, 04:05 PM »
I almost read that as he will be truly in a Replica Vintage Sculpt Style.
I will place my bets there. I think this is more than a deco, he is old school.

I knew it! I personally would have rather  see n a modern Fett repainted Vintage style.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2010, 04:13 PM »
I knew it! I personally would have rather seen a modern Fett repainted Vintage style.

Same here. To me, this is just YUCK

When I was a kid, the vintage figures were "cool" because there wasn't anything any better.

Now we've had several years of figures that are A LOT better in terms of sculpting and articulation.

Why couldn't this have just been a Vintage-deco of a modern sculpted figure? Just like the 2005 Early-Bird-Kit was modern versions of the 1978 EBK figures.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:14 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2010, 04:28 PM »
Sweet!  I for one am a happy Fett.  Outside of Jabba - I don't own a single vintage SW figure.  I had a feeling Hasbro would do this after releasing the vinty Snow Job.  I've just never found the time to start tracking down an "original" loose collection.  Hopefully this will motivate me to get on the ball.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2010, 08:16 PM »
This is pretty sweet.  I would have been happy with a "modern" one as well, but I do think it is kind of cool that they are doing this.  This, combined with the vintage packaging and big "OT" kickoff to this line really is great I think, and probably is a nice "collector push" by Hasbro as well.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2010, 11:19 PM »
I love it!  I'll be getting a couple of these at least.  Wow.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2010, 01:20 PM »
OMG I totally figured this was the direction Hasbro would go in! This is most definitely going to be one of my few prized figures! I'm glad Hasbro didn't try to do some lame repaint of the current Evo. figure!

Hasbro is definitely back!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2010, 04:33 AM »
I like this, as from a long-time collector's POV, getting a holy grail item...  sorta...  is nice, because a rocket firing Fett was just never in the cards for me and my collection.  To me, coming from the manufacturer (sure it's not "Kenner" but it's the descendant ultimately), this is nice.  I'm more tempted to put it into my vintage display than my modern one, and likely will go that route.

I'll never own a real original, and this has subtle differences in the sculpt, and so with that I'm happy to add it as almost something that was missing from my vintage set that I just had resigned myself to never actually being able to afford.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2010, 11:04 AM »
It's going to feel a little weird to open one, but I'm sure there's going to be plenty. It'll sure be a conversation piece to those who remember, but don't collect.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2010, 12:19 PM »
I'll never own a real original, and this has subtle differences in the sculpt, and so with that I'm happy to add it as almost something that was missing from my vintage set that I just had resigned myself to never actually being able to afford.

This is sort of my thought - it's a cheap way to add a nifty "rocket fett" to a vintage collection and to me, it's just as legit as one of the custom ones that are out there in the vintage world.  It may not be a first-shot or a prototype like some of the big vinty collectors have, but I think it's a neat idea for a mail-away from a line that is doing all it can to pay homage to the original vinty line.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2010, 07:50 PM »
and to me, it's just as legit as one of the custom ones that are out there in the vintage world.

I even put it higher than those.  They're neat, but they're ultimately a custom.  At least this was made by the people that hold the license, ya know?  So I'm digging it and looking forward to it.  There's things I probably would've liked more, but this is good enough for me really.  It's nifty, unique, kind of weird, and it ties into the vintage.

I was never in the hunt even for a real one, so this is great for those of us who wouldn't even consider plunking the cash down on the real deal...  It's unique too, for Hasbro.  I applaud the thinking outside the box.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2010, 08:02 PM »
So this isn't an exact replica of the vinty version?  What was changed and why?  Not that it really matters as I'm going to pick a few of these up, but it would be nice to know I guess.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2010, 09:07 PM »
This release of a vintage figure must serve as an example to release others items that were hard to collect

this means a re-release of vintage jawa, death squad commander, tie pilot, yak face

Do it Hasbro you have the molds.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2010, 09:23 PM »
This release of a vintage figure must serve as an example to release others items that were hard to collect

this means a re-release of vintage jawa, death squad commander, tie pilot, yak face

Do it Hasbro you have the molds.

I'm a little conflicted on that one.  I see your point about wanting easier access to some of the harder to find items from the past (though not sure how "rare" those are outside of Yak Face).  The difference here is that there were extremely few of the rocket firing fetts made, so it's much harder for anyone to obtain.  While somewhat expensive, you can get pretty much any of the original figures (ex variations) for about $100 or less on the secondary market.

I also think that one of the desirable parts of having a collection is owning things that are rare.  If everyone has it, then you take away the special part of your collection that is limited to just you and a few others.  I think people that worked really hard or spent a lot to acquire rarer pieces would be pretty ticked off to see replicas made.  Look at the handful of collectors who are already upset about going back to the vintage style cards. 

It is one thing to pay tribute to the classics of old and honor them with something like this.  It is something else entirely to just wholesale copy what has been done before. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Is there a site with history on this figure?
I know about J and L slots but I'm at a loss to remember if any of them actually fired the rocket.
I know none were ever released to the public.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...