Author Topic: Boba Fett Mail-Away Offer?  (Read 64668 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Boba Fett Mail-Away Offer?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2010, 09:35 PM »
I kind of wonder what the opinion of those who have invested time and money - lots of money - into authentic rocket firing Fetts.  This one is so clearly different in execution that there would never be any confusion, but the patina is kind of off in a way - now everyone will 'have' one.

I personally think it's great, and in a way, it's Kenner/Hasbro completing the collection.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Wasn't there a vintage boxed set released in 97 or so that pissed off many vinty collectors?  I understand your post Justin, but there's many of us out there that haven't delved into picking up a vintage line so this is a wonderful opportunity for us.  Look at Transformers and all their reissues over the years.  All the vinty stuff lost value, but do I care?  No.  I'm just glad to have certain pieces in my collection.  Slap in the face? Yes - and I can understand that people like you (vinty collector) would be pissed about stuff like this who spent all the time and $.  What was the answer to a question posed to Hasbro at Toy Fair? - Do you make toys or collectibles?

Toys (i think was the answer)

Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Wasn't there a vintage boxed set released in 97 or so that pissed off many vinty collectors?  I understand your post Justin, but there's many of us out there that haven't delved into picking up a vintage line so this is a wonderful opportunity for us.  Look at Transformers and all their reissues over the years.  All the vinty stuff lost value, but do I care?  No.  I'm just glad to have certain pieces in my collection.  Slap in the face? Yes - and I can understand that people like you (vinty collector) would be pissed about stuff like this who spent all the time and $.  What was the answer to a question posed to Hasbro at Toy Fair? - Do you make toys or collectibles?

Toys (i think was the answer)

I think you misunderstood my post.  I'm not pissed at all about it - quite the contrary.  I also have the Collector's 4-pack from 1995 and thought it was a cool set.  I'm talking about other die hard collectors being upset, like those bothred by the vintage care re-releases, not myself.  If anything, I've been very complementary of things like this and the move to the vintage cardbacks.  I'm not in favor of re-running vintage molds, but wouldn't be up in arms about it either.

There are certainly a fair number of collectors out there and despite the question about what Hasbro makes (of course they're going to say toys), the vintage line and rocket fett are targeting collectors.  If some are pissed about rereleasing vintage cardbacks, I assume even more would be upset about them re-releasing several vintage molds again.  I don't think it's as much about value of their toys decreasing as it is satisfaction in having something relatively rare in your collection.  That's my take on it anyway.  Most vintage collectors try to shy away from things like repro guns, so having to worry about repro figures as well might not be such a welcome move.

Besides, I doubt the vintage molds hold much appeal as toys for kids.  If a re-release of the vintage molds primarily just appeals to collectors and a fair amount of them would be upset by the move, there doesn't seem to be a lot of opportunity for success.  And for collectors like yourself who might be interested in tracking down vintage figs, why not just buy up actual vintage figs?  If you're willing to spend $8-9 per figure, you can acquire a pretty nice vintage collection without any re-releases.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2010, 11:21 PM »
If a re-release of the vintage molds primarily just appeals to collectors and a fair amount of them would be upset by the move, there doesn't seem to be a lot of opportunity for success. 

Which is exactly why it's ONE figure that is a mail-away and not at basic retail.  It's a fun mail-away.  That's it.  It's not intended to be a sign they are willing to do more or anything - just a neat cap to bringing back the vintage look.

Kenner did the 4-pack in '95 and now 15 years later we get this Fett.  Maybe they'll do another in 2025.   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2010, 02:48 AM »
iFett,

Hasbro said in their presentation that they weren't able to duplicate the rocket firing Fett exactly, so there will be subtle differences.  To me, those differences should suffice everyone who wants an original and those who are content to get this...

As far as how others feel?  I guess I really don't care if some guy with a real rocket firing Fett is pissed off.  But my hat's off to him for having the real deal, and I'm still envious if it makes him feel better.  But I'll never own one, and I wouldn't put the time into owning an original.  If someone offered me one at a price I felt I could justify (which probably wouldn't ever be near enough to what it's worth), I'd love to own an original...  This won't diminish that "desire" in me as a vintage collector myself.

To me it just makes something very similar (again, not exact) that will be cool to own, and I'll still never own an original...

I don't totally get the carded anger though.  These cards are close and all, but the figures/bubbles are obviously different, and the back of the card's nowhere near original, so can you really be that annoyed with those?

What I don't care for is attempting to fake things, fake buyers and take advantage of them...  But these things have noticeable enough differences that anyone who's made themselves aware should be able to avoid the fakers.  It's like repro weapons.  If you know what you're doing, you'll not get scammed on those either.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2010, 09:45 AM »
Yeah, completely noticeable, like, oh, I don't know - the figure on the card?!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2010, 11:33 AM »
As long as they're clearly dated 2010, I think it's a cool promo.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2010, 11:52 PM »
Finally got around to high-resing the slides...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2010, 12:56 PM »
wow thanks for that!  initially, to me, getting this thing loose was not really a big deal - but I really do like how it looks MOC - I'll likely keep it that way.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2010, 08:51 PM »
Is Fett coming carded or in the little baggie?

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2010, 09:00 PM »
Carded like in the pic above.
Going to open mine.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32 PM »
I'll be getting two (problem solved).   :)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2010, 09:55 PM »
This is awesome. I can't wait to order this! 8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2010, 07:34 AM »
Carded like in the pic above.
Going to open mine.

cb

Sweet!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Very awesome, i hope to mail away for a few of them.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"