Author Topic: How do you display varying sized figures?  (Read 541 times)

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
How do you display varying sized figures?
« on: November 8, 2009, 05:21 PM »
OK, I keep going back and forth so I thought I'd bring this up as a topic of discussion.  When it comes to Marvel and DC, I collect the gamut when it comes to sizes.  I limit the characters I collect (females for Marvel, females and Batman villains for DC) but I have the small stuff like the Infinite Heroes and Marvel Universe and also items as tall as the 13" DC Direct figures, Marvel Icons and even Comiquettes for Marvel.  I can't seem to find the right display combinations though.  At first I displayed by character, but I didn't like having the larger items with the smaller items.  I then went by series/size, but when I did that I got a few characters or lines that only had one or two examples and they seemed disconnected from the rest of the display.

One thing I have determined is that I don't like mixing statues and action figures for the most part.  If it's a larger line (like the Women of the DC Universe busts or Marvel Comiquettes) I group them by series, then one-offs or smaller lines I do by character.  That seems to work pretty well.  I'm trying to get a good balance with figures, try different things out and see what I like, but in the meantime I thought I'd see what other people that collect varying sized figures did.

John

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Everyone is ignorant, but on different subjects.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you display varying sized figures?
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I don't mix and match sizes.  My 12" stuff all goes on a shelf, my 4" figs on a shelf, etc.  Legends/DCSH stuff might get mixed together, but they're pretty close.  The only exception to the rule is if I'm totally out of space somewhere - I think I may have one shelf on the bottom of a display where I had to put together 12", famous covers, and some smaller scale stuff, just because none of it warrants a shelf of it's own.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. " -Jack Handey

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2009, 02:43 AM »
Scale's a big deal for me, and so I separate scales.  I tend not to venture out of the 3.75"-1:18-ish world though either.  I'd be into more 1:6 stuff if I could afford (or rather, if I could justify) such an investment.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender & FFURG.com Staff/Representative, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2009, 10:48 AM »
I kind of wish I had this problem to deal with.   :P 

I don't have a lot on display but what I do have I tend to split up on scale. 

I have much of my AT-AT Driver collection on display and keep the carded figures together then the 3.75" stuff is together.  I do have a misc. shelf that has similar sized stuff like Kubrick, Lego, Bust-Ups, trading cards and that type of stuff.  Right now I also have my 12" scale stuff on that same shelf but at some point I plan on moving to a larger cabinet and when I do, the plan is to have the 12" stuff all together.

E...
"Microsoft and Sony are acting like divorced parents fighting over kids.  MS tries to lay down the law, Sony buys them beer and pot." - @DanStapleton

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 12:19 PM »
The display case I have has all the 6" size figures, except for the bottom shelve which has me Alien Queen (McFarlane), my Staypuff Marshmellow Man, and dancing Caddyshack gopher, the rest are on a glass shelve in my colloction room that I have moved all my 12" Sideshow and Transformers to.
"...Duh, Winning!"

I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!