Author Topic: Do You Still Use (Or Have) a VCR?  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Still Use (Or Have) a VCR?
« Reply #15 on: December 1, 2006, 07:24 PM »
I have one in my room. I use it to tape shows I miss, and it's also used to play video games since the TV in my room is like 10 years old.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 1, 2006, 07:56 PM »
I only use mine for one specific purpose: to transfer slideshow reconstructions of lost Doctor Who episodes to DVR and then to the PC for editing and burning to DVD.  The BBC only tolerate the supply of these stories on VHS because the quality is so poor.

It looks a bit strange hooked up to the system when I don't have any (non-Who) videos anymore.
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 1, 2006, 09:34 PM »
I still use mine to record shows and I get better reception with my TV antenna if I run it through the VCR.
Throw an Ewok at him

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 1, 2006, 10:06 PM »
I haven't had one for well over a year.  I keep thinking I should buy one before they are not sold anymore, but with the original trilogy available on DVD now, I don't know if it is really worth it for me.  I don't have a huge VHS collection, the various sets of the trilogy make up most of it.  Although my copy of the Star Wars Holiday Special is on VHS.   :P

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 2, 2006, 11:22 AM »
I've never bought a VCR, and in the past ten years, only owned one for about six months.

When I got married 8 years ago, we got a DVD player as a wedding gift, so when we moved into our new place, that's what we had.  When I graduated from college, someone gave me a VCR as a graduation gift, and we used that so our daughter could watch all the old kids' VHS tapes that Mrs. Sprry75 still had.

That VCR didn't last long, though; it conked out after about six months (probably because my kid pretty much had The Little Mermaid on a 24-7 continuous loop).  By then we'd upgraded even the kids' shows to DVD, so there was no need to replace it.

I kind of hate VCRs and VHS tapes, too.  It's weird.

But I vividly remember when my mom and dad brought home our first VCR back in 1983--it was this gigantic Magnavox top-loader about the size of a microwave oven.  I thought it was pretty badass, though.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2006, 11:24 AM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 2, 2006, 07:24 PM »
Yeah, we still have a couple here.  Every once in a while we pop in something we have recorded on VHS.  However, my wife does want a DVD recorder.  Not sure if that will happen this X-Mas though. 

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 4, 2006, 10:57 AM »
As of about a year ago, our household is officially VCR-less. My wife ran that machine into the ground.

I bought my wife a tivo for Christmas last year, and got a splendid deal where all I had to pay for was the lifetime subscription ($300). I'm glad we got it then, too, because that lifetime subscription program was eliminated in March, but we're unaffected.

My wife uses tivo so much that I have no clue how she ever managed to survive with just the VCR.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 4, 2006, 12:30 PM »
I'd love to get a DVR as recording Satellite programming can be a pain the ass with a VCR.  Thing is, as an existing customer, we get the shaft in regards to upgrading our equipment.  We don't qualify for the free receivers and what not. 

As well, I don't have a phone jack that is accessible in the vacinity of my television.  So that poses a problem in regards to the DVR receiver downloading the schedules every night. 

Then again, my regular satellite receiver is not hooked up to a phone line and the calendar works OK....

Is the DVR different in regards to the phone line?  From what I've read, it's mandatory.

???

« Last Edit: December 4, 2006, 12:31 PM by ruiner »

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 4, 2006, 01:11 PM »
I still own a VCR, and only for one VHS tape. Al Jolson's "The Jazz Singer". It has yet to be released on DVD, and it has yet to show up on Comcast. If it does, I can DVR it. Til then, the jurassic POS is staying put.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 4, 2006, 08:52 PM »
I still have my vcr but haven't recorded any programs in maybe 10 years. The box has been rarely plugged to the outlet in the last 8 years.

Mold developed in a whole lot of my tapes so I chucked most of them. There are several that I plan to crack open and clean, at which point, I'll still need the vcr so I can transfer them onto my computer.