Author Topic: The Apple iPad Thread  (Read 20482 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: The Apple iPad Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 8, 2012, 01:50 PM »
Dud.  Aside from a pretty screen, is there anything about New iPad that makes you go "WOW!!"?

I was an early adopter for iPad and then upgraded to iPad2.  There just isn't enough new features for me to feel like I want to upgrade again.  I don't have a baseline comparison for what the new processor speed would mean for how I use the iPad and although, I use the 3G service, I don't feel the need for extra 4G speeds when I'm not in my home wifi.  I do like the thought of the improvide display... my wife's iPhone screen looks awesome.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 8, 2012, 02:15 PM »
4G is nice.  I guess I just expect more, and Apple needs to know that they need to WOW! next time out or that "Can they do it without Steve" question will get louder and louder.

I think that's absurd.  You can't revolutionize the industry every 3 months.  They're absolutely still on the leading edge of all of this stuff, they are by far the most popular and profitable, and the iPhone 4s proved that even their upgrades to existing models sell like crazy.

There really aren't any "can they do it without Steve" questions by the way.  Allegedly, Jobs laid out a 10 year plan or something along those lines, Tim Cook has been in line to take over for years now, and Apple's stock is performing like crazy. 

No one is really worried about Apple at this point.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2012, 02:22 PM by Rob »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 8, 2012, 10:12 PM »
A ten year plan in the tech industry is outdated by the end of year two.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 9, 2012, 08:56 AM »
4G is nice.  I guess I just expect more, and Apple needs to know that they need to WOW! next time out or that "Can they do it without Steve" question will get louder and louder.

I think that's absurd.  You can't revolutionize the industry every 3 months.  They're absolutely still on the leading edge of all of this stuff, they are by far the most popular and profitable, and the iPhone 4s proved that even their upgrades to existing models sell like crazy.

There really aren't any "can they do it without Steve" questions by the way.  Allegedly, Jobs laid out a 10 year plan or something along those lines, Tim Cook has been in line to take over for years now, and Apple's stock is performing like crazy. 

No one is really worried about Apple at this point.

I preface this by saying that I am not an Apple hater by any means; I LOVE my iPad. 

That said, if you think they are on the leading edge, then I think you need to do some research.  I think that because of the nature of their platform, Android is the edge.  And while Apple is the leader, and profitable, they have lost some significant market-share to, of all things, Kindle.  They have MAJOR competition coming this year from Microsoft (whose product will be an enterprise-level solution, unlike iPad).

And people are definitely saying asking questions about direction.  I am not saying those questions are justified in reality, but perception can be reality.

Also, even if Steve DID lay out a "plan," what good is any plan that does not react to market conditions?  To me this is more of a negative than a positive.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 9, 2012, 09:27 AM »
I've got to agree. I've been playing with Windows 8 both technical and the new consumer previews and I've got to say I'm impressed. At first glance it going to take some learning to use Windows 8 since this is the biggest change since Windows 95. However, I've been designing some apps for the Metro-style start screen and this really is a big innovative jump over anything that is currently out there. I'm really looking forward to picking up an ARM based tablet with WIN8 on it. There is also this cool ultrabook coming from Lunovo called Yoga. It's a ultra thin note book where the screen flips around to form a tablet.

My family loves their Kindle fire. We take it in the car to watch movies. The kids play games on it. I've rooted it so I can put on some of my test programs on it. It's a functional little pad for a great price and they havn't broken it yet.

The iPad 3 is what the iPad 2 should have been last year but Apple likes to announce things every year instead of every other year. Its a high powered nice machine. The screen is fantastic and the addition of the 4g/LTE radios should make Verizon very happy. But still I see better things coming down the pipe when I went to Comdex.

I have a friend that builds pools. For years he never built his own pool because the technology kept getting better and better. He finally did jump in but he is constantly upgrading it. Its hard to buy gadgets when something better is always coming soon.

It say if you have a ipad2 there is no reason to upgrade unless for some reason you need it to be even faster with a great screen. But if you don't and you have money laying around buy the iPad 3. its got a great support system. If you don't have money or have a family & kids, buy the Kindle. It also has a great support system. No other tablet has that at least until Windows 8 comes out. 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Y'know...iPads are fun, but kind of useless.  I bought one in the summer hoping to work on it, but it is quicker and easier to pull out a pad and a pencil to write down an idea, or do a sketch.  Blogging was clumsy.  I did enjoy Garageband, but when I sent a file to my laptop to work on more some more, the files weren't compatible.

In the end, we use it mainly for games, and for 600.00 I could have had a Xbox and a bunch of games.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2012, 09:28 PM »
There are applications for the iPad that are great.  And in other cases a laptop or desktop can do a better job.  The touchscreen interface is a significant barrier to getting a lot of work done.

For media consumption, like viewing movies or using it like an eReader?  It's great.  And I've been thinking about getting one for music applications where I can ditch my old sheet music texts and just put an iPad on a music stand for performances.  There's even a USB footpedal you can use to change pages.  And the tablet format is also good for making presentations.

I also think that generally a tablet (not just the iPad) is good if you're travelling and you don't want to haul a laptop with you.  Laptops used to be a secondary computer for people that they would use for travel, while the bulk of their files were on a desktop.  Fast-forward to now, and desktops are fading and people are using laptops as their primary computers, and a web ready tablet is their travel device.  I know that I don't want to travel with my laptop, even if laptops have slimmed down significantly.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 09:48 AM »
For media consumption, like viewing movies or using it like an eReader?  It's great.  And I've been thinking about getting one for music applications where I can ditch my old sheet music texts and just put an iPad on a music stand for performances.  There's even a USB footpedal you can use to change pages.  And the tablet format is also good for making presentations.

My friend uses his ipad for music sheets during performances. Its great for that kind of thing.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2012, 11:28 AM »

For media consumption,
+1111111
The iPad is a wonderful device for consumption, but it is lousy (with a few exceptions) as a creative device.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 01:36 PM »
And while Apple is the leader, and profitable, they have lost some significant market-share to, of all things, Kindle.  They have MAJOR competition coming this year from Microsoft (whose product will be an enterprise-level solution, unlike iPad).

Of course they're going to lose market share.  They started off with pretty much 100%.  There was only one way for them to go.  But while they don't have the percentage, they still have increasing sales.  I don't care if Android sells phones too, or Amazon is selling Kindles.  I'm watching Apple's stock go from $200 to $350 to $500 and it's at $590 today.  I'm not wrapped up in the Microsoft vs. Apple stuff, I prefer their products, I view them as superior, and I'm reading over and over again that AAPL is headed towards $900 or $1000.  That's my genuine level of interest in the whole thing.  But yeah, I'm not seeing anything from these other companies that makes me think that they are any more cutting edge / leading edge than Apple.

And people are definitely saying asking questions about direction.  I am not saying those questions are justified in reality, but perception can be reality.

They still have direction... the Apple TV will be the next big thing, and they'll sell a gazillion iPhone 5's later this year. 

Also, even if Steve DID lay out a "plan," what good is any plan that does not react to market conditions?  To me this is more of a negative than a positive.

I'm sure that Tim Cook has an appreciation for flexibility.  I'm just saying they have ideas in the pipe, and many if not most of these ideas take years to develop anyway.  Apple is perfectly stable for now and there isn't an innovation gap at this point.

The iPad is a wonderful device for consumption, but it is lousy (with a few exceptions) as a creative device.

Don't disagree there.  I'm certainly not getting one to run After Effects or Photoshop on.  It's for internet, movies, games... it's great for traveling, etc...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:44 PM by Rob »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 05:28 PM »
I think iPads are what you make them; the app library is astonishing.  I'm amazed at the amount of work specific apps that are available in my field--it's truly revolutionizing the legal industry.

Plus you can play Angry Birds on it.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2012, 12:14 AM »
Apple TV is a joke compared to the XBox.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2012, 11:36 AM »
Apple TV is a joke compared to the XBox.

I'm not talking about the $100 box that you can buy now, I'm talking abou the actual television set they're developing.  No one knows specifics about it yet.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2012, 01:12 PM »
I'll give you a prediction detail or two:

It will cost 2-3X a similarly sized model from another brand, and it will never see a sale or a price drop, it will just get updated features.

Maybe this will be a touch-screen TV and my toddler will finally get the TV to react to him touching it like the iPad does.  LOL.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2012, 02:33 PM »
I'll give you a prediction detail or two:

It will cost 2-3X a similarly sized model from another brand, and it will never see a sale or a price drop, it will just get updated features.

Maybe this will be a touch-screen TV and my toddler will finally get the TV to react to him touching it like the iPad does.  LOL.

Probably, and they'll probably sell a zillion of them, and other companies will scramble to make their own.  Then people can talk about how Apple is losing market share in this new type of TV.