Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB  (Read 106660 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB
« Reply #345 on: August 2, 2010, 09:24 AM »

My only real question is, why are Han's legs always so skinny?

Why has Han's face not looked like Harrison Ford on 95% of his releases?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 2, 2010, 10:57 AM »
So for everyone that got one, how would you rate the new 3P0 compared to the older releases? I've been using the ROTS one forever now and am trying to decide if this new version is worth the upgrade.

Personally, I hate almost all of the threepio figures.  I shouldn't, but seems like the most appropriate one was the old POTF2 version.  The others are all too skinny or just don't look right.  I think Jay was mentioning this latest one doesn't even show his mid-section (abs) wiring, which just seems lazy to me.  I hope we have a long time before another threepio comes out unless they find a way to do it right.  Adding electronics like R2 has in a vew versions would be a nice touch as well.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 2, 2010, 11:52 AM »
They just need to use the B.A.D. sculpt for C-3PO, why they don't is quite ridiculous.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 2, 2010, 01:01 PM »

My only real question is, why are Han's legs always so skinny?

Why has Han's face not looked like Harrison Ford on 95% of his releases?

Yeah, I thought they nailed it on the original VOTC Han, that was the best likeness we ever got. I don't see why they don't just keep reusing that head for every Han release going forward.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 2, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Been seeing the remnants of this wave around over the last few days, and I honestly think I'm going to wait a while before picking any up. I'm more interested in the vehicles, which are already going to add up, and nothing from this wave really screams "must buy" yet. Definitely going to pick up a few of the figures, but I'll probably wait a few weeks for the figures to hit widespread.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #350 on: August 3, 2010, 03:53 AM »
I forgot this about one figure from the wave but was just reminded...

I was annoyed that Leia got a really liberal paint wash!  Why on earth would she have that, first, and why on earth would they give her the paintwash when they're cutting paintwashes back on other figures that need them but don't get them?  Very odd decision to me.

There's no "clean" variant of this being found, is there?  Some have turned up on Ebay very clean...  I was worried the dirty one was the production figure, and sadly it is.  Is she ever looking like Pigpen in the movie?  Even on the Falcon she didn't look like she was working all that hard.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 3, 2010, 02:45 PM »
I dunno if the wash varies from figure to figure, but the wash on mine seems pretty subtle. You can tell it's there, but she doesn't really look like she's been rolling around in the dirt or anything. I like it myself. Brings out all the little folds and details in the costume nicely I think.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #352 on: August 3, 2010, 08:39 PM »
I'm kind of curious to see if clean ones are going to be easy enough to find or what...  Both looks surfaced on Ebay, and one was much more distinctly dirty than the other which looked like almost no wash was used.  I'd prefer clean...  she was on Hoth, not Dagobah, but I saw no difference at Target when I bought mine so I dunno. :(  If I see a clean one I'm buying it though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 3, 2010, 09:59 PM »
I picked up Bespin Luke, Hoth Leia, Echo Base Han, and Dak.  I've only opened Luke.  I've always been an opener, but these are kind of hard to tear into.  They're so...pretty.
"Really?  Sorry."

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 3, 2010, 11:07 PM »
They really are tough to open. I always use a knife and try to cut through the bubble without tearing the card too much and then put the card away somewhere. I don't know why really, since I'll probably never do anything with it, but they're just so hard to throw away.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #355 on: August 3, 2010, 11:10 PM »
I opened C-3PO tonight and I like him a lot more than I thought I would.  I think the removable plating doesn't look right in the package and once you fiddle with it, it actually looks pretty decent

The two gripes I have is the removable armor itself and the coloring...it just doesn't look right, almost greenish

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #356 on: August 3, 2010, 11:11 PM »
I tore mine open, but faced the same dillemma.  I was hanging onto VOTC/VTSC cardbacks for eons but pitched them due to the space they wound up taking up.  

There's SUPPOSED to be a way to lift bubbles off cardbacks with little or no damage to the card itself.  I've heard of it working for different people, using goo-gone, sort of soaking around the bubble, lifting it, and then letting the card dry (which apparantly it dries and doesn't damage it much if at all).

It's interesting really, but I haven't ever tried it.

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 4, 2010, 04:08 AM »
I swore I didn't need them, but I ended up getting the cloud car pilot and the at at commander and I'm glad I did. The level of detail on this wave continues to amaze me.

That cloud car pilot is tiny though!  C3-P0 and him are in a league of their own. I've been pondering a head swap with a Dak for an extra cloud car pilot, as they've both got a skull cap of sorts.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 4, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Yeah I don't want to tear the packages either for the ones I get. I remember carefully cutting clear cases of the VOTC figs and cutting the bubble so I could put them back together to keep the 'look' decent enough. Just gotta watch for 'repackaged' figs as you KNOW people will buy em, cut em and repack em with older figs and dummies at walmart won't know the difference.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 4, 2010, 03:53 PM »
The two gripes I have is the removable armor itself and the coloring...it just doesn't look right, almost greenish

Echoes of the Japanese "green" C-3PO?  I have one of those, for whatever reason I rationalized it with back in the day.  I wonder if there's a backstory to the green coloration from the POTF2 days in Japan that carried forward to this version?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.