Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB  (Read 106668 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2010, 01:37 PM »
I don't care if it's General Veers, AT-AT Commander, or if Hasbro mislabels the final package and calls him Greedo.  I just want several of the figure as openers.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2010, 02:44 PM »
agreed - if the head sculpt doesn't change he is just gonna be a basic imp commander - he won't be replacing my Veers.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2010, 03:21 PM »
I agree that there's definitely the potential for some confusion on the subject.  Especially since we only ever see Veers in the AT-AT Commander uniform/armor.

He also appears sans armor to inform Lord Vader about Admiral Ozzel's incompetence.  But I think that's what you meant by uniform/armor.

I like all four, but I'm most pleased that we're getting an updated Dengar and a new Imperial is good, even if he'll have to report to ole' swivel elbows.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2010, 03:49 PM »
Yes, he is seen actually several times without the armor...  He's standing with Ozzel, Piett, and Vader at one point as well. 

Also a good point about the rank badge by Dressel.  The rankings in Empire were pretty sorted out by the military advisor, much like in A New Hope, and so that rank isn't the same as Veers (as Dressel made clear with his picture support), so that to me helps this character along as a "generic" Officer, as it's my understanding from sourcebooks that Generals don't generally (no pun) ride along into battle like that, and its Veers' willingness to don armor and go headlong into battle that makes Vader actually like him a lot.

It also ultimately got him killed in the cut footage too.   :-\

But other source material shows the officers in charge of AT-AT's, and they're a lower rank, with 2 lower ranks below him on each deck making sure I guess everyone gets out the door ok.  Kind of like making sure the kids get off to school alright. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2010, 04:35 PM »
I agree that there's definitely the potential for some confusion on the subject.  Especially since we only ever see Veers in the AT-AT Commander uniform/armor.

He also appears sans armor to inform Lord Vader about Admiral Ozzel's incompetence.  But I think that's what you meant by uniform/armor.

I should clarify my point that Veers is the only Imperial officer ever seen in that commander's armor.  I'm certainly aware of his scenes on the Executor, such as when he briefs Vader about the fleet having dropped out of hyperspace.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2010, 04:50 PM »
I just want to know if that armor comes off as well as the helmet and if there is a cap to place on the figure's head. While I'm not enthralled with the "angry eyes" Imp officer, he'd make a decent army builder. A quick head swap would do. And a small whittling away of a set of pips would make him a different rank.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2010, 07:42 PM »
I think on the AT-AT Commander, I am most curious about the lower armor section.  If it's molded to his belt or tunic, I won't be happy.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Hasbro seems to have some really curious choices to start a new line of figures with.  As for these, I'm passing on the AT-AT Commander, and will probably put the last Dengar's head on the new body.  Leia is wonderful, but her POTF2 boots are actually more film-accurate than the typical Hoth boots like those on the new version (no big deal there though).  Luke looks a good bit better too.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2010, 11:49 PM »
Do we know this is the first wave that they are starting with?  I know it's the first pics we have seen of course.  If it is the first wave then yeah I agree it's not the strongest they could come up with.  You just know if they redid Luke Bespin then a Vader of some sort is sure to near.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Even though I know the focus is going to be on the new figures (and rightfully so), I'm curious as to who Hasbro is going to include in this wave as repacks.  Logic would suggest that the four new figures would be at least 2 per case (despite nobody being more than 1 per case in recent Legacy assortments this year), with four repacks; with the supposed return of the vintage-styled cardback, it could be a good way for Hasbro to suck in non-carded collectors to buy the repacks. 

Personally, I think the best choice of four figures to recard would be the AT-AT Driver (since the AT-AT will hopefully be out by the time this wave hits), the non-bearded Hoth Rebel Soldier we never got the first time around, a kitbashed Snowspeeder Wedge (using the Luke SS body and the head from the Target X-Wing), and either Zuckuss or 4-LOM (mainly because we've gotten all four other bounty hunters on vintage reissue cards by that point, and it would be a neat nod to the vintage line by including both of them with their "correct" names).

Back to the new figures, though, I have to say that I'm already more impressed with the AT-AT Commander figure than I ever was with General Tarantino Veers back in 2006.  The way those cut-elbow arms stuck out at a permanent 90 degree angle always bothered me, so this one seems like a nice upgrade.  Leia is very needed at this point, and Dengar seems like a nice upgrade.  A new Bespin Luke I could have done without, but the head sculpt is better than the vintage 2007 version, so count me in for one of those, too.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2010, 11:31 AM »
James from JediNews chimed in on the discussion over the AT-AT Commander over at the other(R) site.  He said that Hasbro specifically identified the figure as an AT-AT Commander, NOT as General Veers.  It's nice to have some firsthand confirmation to put this to bed.  And I still have some hope that we might see at least a couple more figures for this particular wave.  A Dack Ralter would be most welcome to go with the new Snowspeeder!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2010, 02:31 PM »
Hasbro has pretty much al but confirmed the Echo Base Han (Hoth/Bespin hybrid), right?  Only makes sense he'd be in this wave.  I don't think we've seen everything 'new' yet.  Didn't they say somewhere it'd be 6 waves of 6 (new) figures each?

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Something like that...but I wonder how many "new" figures we'll get.  We know there's a few in the ROTJ wave, but I worry that most of the year will be very nice upgrades.  While I'm OK with that, it doesn't excite me much as new, never-done-before characters.  Could be a bit of a "meh" year.  But all the new vehicles are looking good.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: February 1, 2010, 01:20 AM »
I dig your idea on the Wedge kitbash Dr. Padawan, but my only gripe there is Luke's height as alaways.  It's a great sculpt, but a great one for Luke.  I'd much prefer seeing the Evolutions hybrid Snowspeeder body used for a Wedge kitbash.  They've got the head and that's a suitable body to me... 

The AT-AT Driver's a good idea for a repack but he's the only figure lingering from the ESB2.0 wave near me right now, so I sort of worry too.  The Saga one lingered as well.  That's a figure that maybe doesn't have the umph of other armored Clone-ish type guys, I dunno...  AT-AT or not AT-AT to support him.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 1, 2010, 09:43 AM »
James from JediNews chimed in on the discussion over the AT-AT Commander over at the other(R) site.  He said that Hasbro specifically identified the figure as an AT-AT Commander, NOT as General Veers.  It's nice to have some firsthand confirmation to put this to bed. 

And yet, some will continue to believe he's being called Veers no matter how confirmed he's not.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."