Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB  (Read 106665 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 10:28 PM »
I like Leia and Luke, since the Luke we got in 2007 wasn't all that great. Dengar was inevitable, but welcome, but I'm scratching my head about Veers. Because of the AT-AT, I can understand his inclusion.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:29 PM by inadvertent imitation »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 12:44 AM »
Not excited by any of these.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 02:34 AM »
I think the Leia is a big improvement and a necessary one.  The others all look great, but they wouldn't have been at the top of my list by a mile.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 05:13 AM »

-Veers Guy...  I'm curious to see if there's a removable belt or hat included.  Otherwise it looks ok to me.  I can't tell much by the headsculpt but to me the face looks like Veers.  

I don't think it's Veers.

The face sculpt is a complete miss if it is, and the rank on his upper chest has 3 blues and 3 reds, Veers has 4 blues and 4 reds.  

Is this figure actually being called "General Veers" or "AT-AT Commander"?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:15 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 07:31 AM »
I guess I am a sucker for anything Hasbro throws the word "Vintage" on.   These things are all good enough and welcome to my collection.

The Leia is definately an upgrade and needed. 

The luke has enough changes (hips, head, hands) to make it worthy to replace my previous version.

Dengar SA was on my list (not sure how high, but still it beats getting another Gungan Jedi Clone Cantina Alien Droid)

AT-AT Commander is good too, if it is Veers, it is an upgrade that last one had limited Articulation, if it is a generic ATAT Commander then there is needed to finish off the SA versions of Vintage/OT Characters that is the focus of my collection.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 09:44 AM »
I'm a little mixed on these as well. Excited because it initially seems like they're going to stick to re-do's of the original 93, but disappointed in the selection of the first offering. Leia is easily the best choice followed closely by Dengar. Luke seems superfluous except for want looks like ball joined hips and the At-At commander looks horrible. And this is coming from guy who eats up anything imperial and asks for more. The only redeeming quality could be the fact that he could be called At-At commander rather than Veers.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 09:48 AM »
I guess I am a sucker for anything Hasbro throws the word "Vintage" on.   These things are all good enough and welcome to my collection.

I feel the exact same way.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Hoth Leia- nice!!!
Bespin Luke- nice, but a Hoth Luke would have been better
Dengar-nice!
Veers-nice, but Bespin Han would have been better
I will buy these figures.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 10:03 AM »
Not excited by any of these.

Me either. It amazes me how they utterly fail to capture the likeness of the characters from the films. None of those 4 looks anything like the actors in question.

Articulation and detail are great, but give me a well-sculpted face and proportionally accurate body parts. Not Popeye arms like that crappy Veers.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Is this figure actually being called "General Veers" or "AT-AT Commander"?

We don't know for sure yet - RS and some sites called him out as Veers, but like Jayon and I said two pages back, he'll probably just be "AT-AT Commander" since that's what the original vintage card said.

Well, that could just be Hasbro being cute - the Kenner figure was just called "AT-AT Commander", so if this is really an homage to the Kenner line/cards, that may be all they are planning on putting on the card.

Well since it is the new "vintage" line, he would just be called "AT-AT Commander" echoing the 80's vintage carded figure nomenclature.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:07 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Great job for Hasbro

Leia retakes the combination of 80´s vintage yellow pullover with cream/grey boots updated, also her face looks like carry in a nice way

Bespin Luke is an excellent update in the head, he looks movie accurate. Also the paintjob is perfect and the utility belt has more details than vtac version.

Dengar well accurate, it seems he has longer legs in 2010 release. Its like seeing his armor parts in another position

Veers looks like he doesn´t have the cap, so we could see his face hair details, a variation in the chest and stomach position of the armor.

I hope Hasbro changes its mind and releases them before August

All four are a must for my collection

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 10:22 AM »
I find it really funny that almost every site where there's discussion about these figures are completely disregarding the reporting of Jedi News in their article.  They specifically call the figure an AT-AT Commander and not General Veers.  They did the reporting and got the images from Hasbro UK.  Folks might want to take that into account.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Yeah, I sort of think that's what we're going to see as well.  Like it has already been said, the previous version really looked a lot more like Veers than this new version's face sculpt, so it may just be "AT AT Commander" and that's that.  I think that would be fine for most too, since the previous version of Veers was pretty well done.  I'm surprised that there is a lot of people down on these figures.  Sure, maybe they weren't what we expected/hoped for character selection-wise, but I think the figures themselves look pretty great.  Like a few others have said, I'm actually pretty happy we're getting a new Bespin Luke, since the last VTSC version wasn't quite as good as it could have been.  Between that one and this new one, I think we've definitely got a definitive Bespin Luke that can be retired and re-released from now on.  Hoth Leia is an upgrade many of us have been waiting for, and Dengar - while well done previously - has that nice SA upgrade to go with the rest of the Hunter crew.  Hasbro really has been doing some pretty good work the last couple years, and it seems like there isn't nearly the excitement for the line that there used to be.  I remember when the VOTC figures first showed up online (or even the prequel movies figures), and the forums were buzzing for days.  It doesn't seem like we see that level of excitement with new leaks or info anymore, at least for the most part.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2010, 10:31 AM »
I find it really funny that almost every site where there's discussion about these figures are completely disregarding the reporting of Jedi News in their article.  

I'm willing to give people a little wiggle room on that.  Yesterday when the pics first popped up, Jedi News was getting hammered - lots of folks saw the pics re-posted someplace else and never had a chance to read the article that went with the pics due to traffic.

But yeah - you're right.  They do say "AT-AT Commander" at JN.uk (a fact that was pointed out on page 1 of the thread) and like I said above, based on the original Kenner card that makes the most sense to put on the US card.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:34 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2010, 11:37 AM »
I agree that there's definitely the potential for some confusion on the subject.  Especially since we only ever see Veers in the AT-AT Commander uniform/armor.

If it is indeed an AT-AT Commander, this does give Hasbro a generic army builder that they can offer.  The army builders have always gone gaga over Imperials.  I think the army builders would be far more likely to troop build with a generically named figure than one with a specific character name.  It's a psychological point, but a potentially valid one.

Still, I've got to wonder if the folks at Hasbro regarded the vintage AT-AT Commander as a figure that hadn't been remade in the modern line.  Perhaps this is a case of them trying to cover the bases on that slow march towards completing modern resculpts of all of the Kenner vintage figures.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:40 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback