Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB  (Read 106655 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1
« Reply #60 on: February 1, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Okay, maybe I'm just not as into this as some, but does it really matter if they call him Veers or just AT-AT Commander?  We're getting the same figure either way and most of us are openers, so I don't get the heated debate on whether he's a generic commander or a specific character.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 1, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Okay, maybe I'm just not as into this as some, but does it really matter if they call him Veers or just AT-AT Commander?  We're getting the same figure either way and most of us are openers, so I don't get the heated debate on whether he's a generic commander or a specific character.

True dat
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #62 on: February 1, 2010, 11:23 AM »
I agree.  The figure is the figure.  A name is worthless once he's in a diorama or on a shelf of 100s of other figs.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 1, 2010, 11:37 AM »
As a carded collector I'd prefer the name over a no name, but in this case I dodn't care as much since I have a Veers already and like the idea if it's in homage to the original ATAT Commander.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 1, 2010, 11:55 AM »
Hasbro has pretty much al but confirmed the Echo Base Han (Hoth/Bespin hybrid), right?  Only makes sense he'd be in this wave.  I don't think we've seen everything 'new' yet.  Didn't they say somewhere it'd be 6 waves of 6 (new) figures each?

Yeah, I don't remember the exact quote now either (I'm sure someone can track it down), but I think when they were discussing the "post Legacy" line for 2010, that there would be four waves of six figures each (one each for ESB, ROTJ, ROTS, and AOTC), and then waves for ANH/TPM coming in 2011.  I also thought they mentioned waves of 6 figures each (new/updated), alongside some "greatest hits" style repacks.  That being said, we'll probably see 2 more "new" figures for this wave...the aforementioned Han (which I think is confirmed) and one other.  I'm hoping that last figure will be something more obscure (maybe along the lines of Torryn Farr), and then the repacks will be one per case.  We've heard several times now that they are scaling back on the really collector focused figures, so I'd be surprised if we see more than one per wave and then probably packed one to a case (like Willrow).  I can't remember if Hasbro had mentioned any other ESB figures in previous Q and A's, aside from that Han.  I know we had several confirmations for the ROTJ wave at one point, so we might be able to figure that out.  I think the AT-AT driver might be a good call for a repack, although we just got one...and the Snowtrooper might be another one.  I'm really hoping we'll see the clean shaven Hoth Trooper here, but I think Hasbro said it would be in a battle pack.  It would be great to see that individually carded in this wave though.  Maybe there will be repacks of recent figures like Snowspeeder Luke as well, even though we're already getting a Luke in the wave (same could be said for the VTSC Hoth Han, but that might be way too similar to the new version).

Overall, I guess I'm ok with that formula if this is how it will be from now on.  I can see how seeing four figures that we've seen before in some capacity might be a little boring, but - at least from these pics - they all look pretty nicely done to me, and I look forward to picking them up.  Plus, it seems like more and more of our "want lists" - particularly for the OT - have been filled with resculpts lately, so it may work out well.  Have maybe four upgraded figures per wave, and two all-new ones, and some smart repacks and it could make for some nice waves.  I still don't understand why we're not getting Bespin Han, instead of this other version, but I'll happily buy it either way.  I'm still hoping we'll see the entire ESB wave, and hopefully the wave after, at Toy Fair.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: February 1, 2010, 12:01 PM »
(I'm sure someone can track it down)

:)

From Q&A @ Dewback Patrol:

In Fall, there will be waves for EpII, III, V, and VI (although not in that order) with about 24 new/retooled characters for Fall debuting along with a number of "greatest hits" (package refreshed) to round out the waves.

Yeah, about 24 "new" figures and then more GH/repack figures.  While it is not confirmed, it has been rumored that the "Echo Base" Han and one other 'new' figure (?) will indeed end up in this wave but were not quite ready for photo day by UK Toy Fair.

Personally, I think they held back the Han figure just to spite me.   :P
« Last Edit: February 1, 2010, 12:03 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #66 on: February 1, 2010, 03:30 PM »
Hopefully characters like the Blue Deco Jango will not count towards the 24 "New/retooled" number. there are a few characters that I would love see upgraded with deco changes. Also droid repaints can give us new without tooling.
I would love to see the following figure that do not count toward the 24:

Blue Suit Evo Jango
Spirt Obi-Wan using the Legacy Tool
Spirit Yoda using the VOTC Tool
Mustafar Obi/Anakin with burnt deco/sith eyes
Hoth Rebel Trooper with blonde beard/frost deco like you are seeing on the new ROC figures

You get the drift. We may get some unexpected new. 2 weeks to go to get a glimpse!
« Last Edit: February 1, 2010, 04:09 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 1, 2010, 03:40 PM »
Personally, I think they held back the Han figure just to spite me.   :P

Maybe they wanted to wait until Toyfair so you can see it in person, Jeff?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 1, 2010, 03:48 PM »
I agree.  I think they wanted to hold something back for Toy Fair.  We're just a little under 2 weeks away.  

OR....that new Echo Base Han Solo might be part of a battle pack.  As it is, this wave has 2 core characters in the lineup for this particular wave.  Having Luke, Leia AND Han Solo in the same assortment seems almost extreme.  Plus, we know there's a Hoth themed (exclusive) battle pack on the way with the Rebel Trooper head variant.  Echo Base Han may be in that set.

It makes me think of the prognosticating that comes from the Q&A process.  Hasbro gives plenty of indications about what figures are on the way.  But as for whether a figure may be in the basic figure assortment, as part of a battle pack or some kind of exclusive?  That can lead to some potential confusion.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2010, 03:48 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 1, 2010, 04:27 PM »
One thing the actual vintage style means nowadays is the tendency to launch a rendition of an already released figure from the 93 figures basic line of 70īs, 80īs, So I donīt know if they could use the name vintage style to launch a version of an outfit that is not alreday released like the Dagobah landing pilot Luke, Han from Echo Base, Toryn Farr and so on.

But, when reading some rumors telling aotc figures would get a vintage style treatment, I thought: Hasbro might expand this line to include figures that appeared since potf2 and didnīt have a previous version in the 1977-1984 era, like Slave Leia, Dagobah fatigues Luke, the imperial technician and so on.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2010, 07:18 PM by EpicGon »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #70 on: February 1, 2010, 08:19 PM »
That's my hope.  I'd love to see some of those figures (Wedge, Slave Leia, Tarkin, Cantina Band Member, etc.) represented in the line.  I know they won't do every one of those, given they're not "Greatest Hits" material, but it'd be a nice treat in a collector focused year.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 2, 2010, 09:39 AM »

True dat

It actually matters to me in a purist way. At least I appreciate the fact that he's called At-At commander.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 1 - ESB
« Reply #72 on: February 3, 2010, 10:03 PM »
So Dak - is he in this wave, or somewhere else?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: February 3, 2010, 11:00 PM »
On the Veers/Commander issue I can see it mattering from an accuracy standpoint and I'm not sure if that's what Anton meant or not...  But with the ranking differences and things, I could see it mattering to some.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 4, 2010, 12:01 AM »
I am kind of confused by the vintage stuff.  Are we geting all vintage style cardbacks on every OT figure.  Or are they making a seperate other line to?  Like Dak...are they making a vintage style card for him to???  I guess so?