Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 2 - RotS  (Read 76013 times)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 2 - RotS
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2010, 09:13 PM »
True, I remember watching the movie back in 2005 and thinking how strange that George Lucas would make a manipulative Sith Lord like him so... wild for a Star Wars movie.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2010, 01:29 AM »
I always found his wildness rather fitting. This is a guy who's been planning and scheming these events for decades, and to finally see everything coming together and finally taste that sweet victory is sure to make anyone pretty wild. That said, the Palps does look quite good upon viewing the blown up pics, he looks to have the poofy sleeves, which is the one thing none of the ROTS Palps have as far as I know, that's the one detail I was hoping for since they always seem to leave it out.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2010, 07:34 AM »
True, I remember watching the movie back in 2005 and thinking how strange that George Lucas would make a manipulative Sith Lord like him so... wild for a Star Wars movie.

I agree with Greedo - have you ever seen someone who is SO pleased that their plan came to fruition that they are giddy with excitement?

Well, that's how I always viewed that scene with Sidious fighting Yoda.

Think about how long he's wanted to take on his "little green friend" in battle.

In ROTJ, Luke also picked up on it when he told the Emperor that is over-confidence was his weakness.

Clearly, in the battle with Yoda, his over-confidence is getting the better of him, so much so that he does loose his lightsaber and there is a brief glimpse during the fight when they are shooting lightning at each other that he does look like "oh shoot this isn't going as well as I had planned" and then at the last second, he actually wins by blasting Yoda off the ledge.

Even Robot Chicken picked up on this in their skit where Darth Vader calls the Emperor after the first Death Star blows up, Palpatine is talking with two advisors at the beginning and the dialogue picks up with Palpatine saying "So I threw the whole senate at him. The WHOLE SENATE!" and then laughing.

So for me, I think the head sculpt is perfect, now if we could just get a SA ROTS Yoda that he could duel with I'd be happy.  :P
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:35 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2010, 02:39 PM »
I like this trend of using a plastic hood... it works just right and looks more realistic compared to a softgoods hood. The TLC ESB Palpatine's plastic hood was also sculpted so realistically and perfectly.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Although I do think all the figures in this wave look pretty nicely done, it is sort of boring in a way as well.  Really, only Palps and MagnaGuard seem "new"...but both look really good.  I'm excited for the Anakin as well, as it sounds like it will be the "ultimate" Anakin (Sith eyes) and could easily be made into an ultimate regular Anakin in the future as well.  The Evolutions figure was just about perfect anyways, and a few tweaks could get it there I think.  The others (like Obi-Wan and Grievous) are already excellent figures, and I can understand putting them out there again.  I'm on the fence with whether or not to pick up a carded set of the prequel ones or not.  I know I'll be in with the OT figures, and I really like these types of cardbacks, so I might get sucked into these as well.  We'll see.

On a side note, we've discussed it before on here, but it really is too bad Hasbro can't jump the gun and put some nicely sized pics of upcoming stuff (like this wave) on their website before it leaks to retailers or fan sites in general.  I remember the days of when they actually had product updates over there (even then it wasn't often), but it doesn't seem like they even bother anymore.  Not a real big deal I guess, but it would be kind of nice to get some "official" updates now and then, particularly through these big dry spells we've been having the past few years.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2010, 05:14 PM »
On a side note, we've discussed it before on here, but it really is too bad Hasbro can't jump the gun and put some nicely sized pics of upcoming stuff (like this wave) on their website before it leaks to retailers or fan sites in general. 

It's funny because right before I logged on and read your post, I was on Hasbro's website and sighed after seeing their latest product info was a preview of what was to come in 2009. ::)

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2010, 10:20 PM »
it looks that the white sandtrooper in this wave is a repack from tlc dewback and sandtrooper

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 1, 2010, 01:32 AM »
it looks that the white sandtrooper in this wave is a repack from tlc dewback and sandtrooper

It is.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 1, 2010, 11:45 AM »
100% REPACKS = Sandtrooper, Obi-Wan, Cody, Clone

Not that I doubt you, but where was it confirmed that the Clone Trooper was a repack? The clone looks different to me for some reason, and it's surprising that the same SL/ROTS picture that has been used for the last 5 years or so wasn't used again here.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 1, 2010, 11:58 AM »
100% REPACKS = Sandtrooper, Obi-Wan, Cody, Clone

Not that I doubt you, but where was it confirmed that the Clone Trooper was a repack? The clone looks different to me for some reason, and it's surprising that the same SL/ROTS picture that has been used for the last 5 years or so wasn't used again here.

The Episode III Clone Trooper was confirmed as a Greatest Hits offering in THIS RS Q&A SESSION.  The official photography (at least in the Brian's Toys listing) was a little washed out, so it's tough to make out all of the details on that one.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: June 1, 2010, 12:10 PM »
The clone looks different to me for some reason, and it's surprising that the same SL/ROTS picture that has been used for the last 5 years or so wasn't used again here.

Just because Hasbro confirmed him as a "greatest hits" repack, that doesn't necesarily make him a repack of the RotS#41 sculpt.  They are using the #41 Clone over in the Legends line, so maybe they picked a different Clone for the Vintage?

Like Nick said, none of the pics make it easy to tell which clone it may be.  Some folks are seeing the Evo sculpt there, but I can't tell which it is.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 1, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Does anyone else get the feeling that Hasbro is really banking on the packaging making this line a success? I dunno, to me it just seems risky to have all these "greatest hits" repacks on top of having them readily available in Saga Legends as well.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 1, 2010, 12:26 PM »
The clone looks different to me for some reason, and it's surprising that the same SL/ROTS picture that has been used for the last 5 years or so wasn't used again here.

Just because Hasbro confirmed him as a "greatest hits" repack, that doesn't necesarily make him a repack of the RotS#41 sculpt.  They are using the #41 Clone over in the Legends line, so maybe they picked a different Clone for the Vintage?

Like Nick said, none of the pics make it easy to tell which clone it may be.  Some folks are seeing the Evo sculpt there, but I can't tell which it is.

The helmet is definitely bigger than the clone 41.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2010, 12:27 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 1, 2010, 12:31 PM »
If the Clone Trooper is indeed a repack of the Evo sculpt, then I'll most definitely buy it! :P

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #89 on: June 1, 2010, 12:33 PM »
Didn't the Evo sculpt have a non articulated torso? That image there looks to have the ball-joint torso.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird