Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 2 - RotS  (Read 76037 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 2 - RotS
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2010, 12:43 PM »
Based pics on the back of the other figs though...it looks like only these foiled UGH figures will be in Vintage packaging while the regular figures are going to be on ROTS style packaging...no?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2010, 12:50 PM »
I think that is just Hasbro's effort to show the "first card" for those figures.

On the ESB figures, the cardback shows the modern/2010 loose figure standing in front of the original Kenner card (on in the case of Han and Dack, who are new, the 2010 cardback) for comparison purposes.

So, on the RotS cardbacks then, you'd have the 2010/Vintage Grievous standing in front of his original 2005 card for comparison purposes.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2010, 01:02 PM »
Don't feel bad Scott, I got a half dozen questions asking me if Hasbro had gone mental and reissuing ROTS style packaging.  :P It is confusing by the cardback style though - I can't imagine a kid being able to grasp was he was suppose to look for in the toy aisle when these officially hit.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2010, 01:26 PM »
It is confusing to look at, seeing as that almost all of the figures in this wave had their own ROTS card in 2005, and here on the packaging you see Commander Cody from 2006 in different packaging (from TSC).

I'm not one of those people who believe that only the original figures belong on Vintage cards, but I think Cody looks weird on that card. I dunno... there's just something weird about the final product.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2010, 02:30 PM »
I think showing the original release of the character is very misleading. They should have treated all of the PT figures as "First Issues" like they did with Dak and Echo Base Hangar Han Solo. Technically, none of these figures had ever been issued on this type of packaging so using the "First Issue" designation makes sense.

While I'm excited to see the PT characters on these style cardbacks, I think showing the 2005/2006 packaging ANYWHERE on the card-backs of these is just odd.

As far as the front is concerned, I'm okay with it - I just wish they had put "Star Wars" all on one line above the movie logo like was what originally done on the Return of the Jedi cardbacks - so as to be consistent for the Return/Revenge of the Jedi/Sith cards.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2010, 04:40 PM »
I for one have been looking forward to these, so I'm glad to say I like the fronts.  The backs... I agree that the use of the ROTS cards is confusing and breaks the uniform look of the line. 

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2010, 08:11 PM »
The backs... I agree that the use of the ROTS cards is confusing and breaks the uniform look of the line. 

I agree that the cardbacks are very out-of-uniform, considering how organized they usually are. However, there is more color to the cardback, and it also gives it an interesting quality, because now you can see (for someone who just started collecting, for example) what the older cards looked like.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2010, 11:15 PM »
In the days of the internet, there's no need for that.  I agree that the backs are confusing, and should make it very clear as t what other figures a collector should look for at that moment.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2010, 11:31 PM »
Had to wait til I got home to view this...not horrible, not great. I definitely don't think it looks as sharp as the current wave.

I agree they should have treated all those guys like "First Issues" - makes much more sense, IMO.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2010, 04:33 AM »
Thing is though the cardback back's for the vintage collection are not that great to begin with -and are there many of us who don't own Sansweets Action Figure Archive?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2010, 09:27 AM »
So what's all this talk about Cody being a "chase" figure? Something to do with silver foil on the cardback? What's the deal?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2010, 09:35 AM »
So what's all this talk about Cody being a "chase" figure? Something to do with silver foil on the cardback? What's the deal?

Yes, Cody will have a standard release (non-foil embossed) card as well a "chase/Bounty Hunt" version.

Vader, Han and the Mangaguard will have them as well with others to be revealed.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:36 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2010, 09:49 AM »
I agree with the cardbacks not being hot in general.  I never liked the backs of the VOTC series and I'd rather see something that harkens back to the original backs.  The 25th Anniversary Joe line did it, I don't know what the big deal is here.  I actually think connecting these back to the original line (and now the original ROTS line) confuses and limits new customers.  It's a history lesson, sure, but I think the line should be as much about the new as the old (PT cards - yes!), so let's not see the original figures/cards and focus on what's going on now.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2010, 10:13 AM »
I agree, I sort of wish they would have went ahead and done an "old school" back as well with the Vintage Collection.  Sure, these match up with the VOTC/VTSC cards, but since we're covering the entire non-CW Star Wars universe in this line now, they could have changed things up a bit.  Having a big "collect 'em all" picture, or even individual figures in the color backgrounds (from earlier in the vintage line) would have been pretty cool.  Granted, toy making/marketing/etc. is a bit different these days - and much of that info is considered national security level clearance it seems - but it would have been neat.  It is a totally different world, but I do sort of remember fondly the times of looking at those cardbacks to even know what else was out there, or was coming out soon.  Not as feasible these days, but it was cool.  For some reason, the pictures of the ROTS figures looks strange to me too.  I understand what they are going for, but it just seems off.

All that said, who is picking up a carded set of the Vintage line?  Are you sticking to only the OT characters, the whole works, or none at all?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:14 AM by Brian »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2010, 10:39 AM »
I have decided for better or worse to go carded on these, which I have never done.  I don't know.  Some of my friends are only doing figures never on vintage cards before (Dak, etc.) which I kind of like.