Author Topic: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 2 - RotS  (Read 76033 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2010 "Vintage" Collection Wave 2 - RotS
« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2010, 03:46 PM »
I got a couple more Magna Guards last night at the local Wally after I picked up Halo Reach at Best Buy.

This figure's truly outstanding.

He rocks ball/socket hips, hinged knees, hinged ankles, ball/socket shoulders, ball/socket elbows, swivel wrists, ball/socket torso, and ball/socket neck.

While ball/socket knees are nice, I'm happy with how they did them.  These thin droids just need a hinge to be more stable I think (Though...  IG88's fantastic and stable).

The cloak is superb, as is the one Grievous comes with.  Some of the coolest softgoods work Hasbro's ever done, plus they feature their patterns on the outside!  I figured they'd skimp on Grievous' cloak getting the design on the back, at least.

The removable scarf around the head of the Magna Guard is great, his electro-staff is fantastic, he can hold all his gear.  The sculpt and paint aps are superb too.  This is truly one of the better figures Hasbro's put out IMO, in a little while.  That speaks volumes about its quality I think since they've been knocking many figures out of the ballpark lately.

I can't wait for paint variations of this figure.  I'd gladly buy a blue movie deco...  Hell, they could go "Shadow Magna Guard" route on this guy and I'd love picking up a number of those too.

If I had one complaint, it would be that I wish you could remove the head and the neckpost so it looks like it was decapitated since they can still fight that way it seemed.

Otherwise, this is just one fantastic figure.  I'd like 6 of them so I'm halfway to where I want to be.  I may wind up with more though, as time rolls on.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 18, 2010, 08:37 PM »
My local Target finally seems to have these - but they only had TVC Obi-Wan on the pegs. The rest was ESB.

Has anyone ever run into that, when there's only one figure on-shelves from a new(ish) wave? I doubt that it's because the rest of the wave sold out, but because for some reason employees only put up one figure from a newer wave. In this case, the rest of the pegs were full 100% w/ ESB wave, SL, and TCW, so I doubt there was any room to put up the rest of the ROTS wave.

Anyways, this Obi was a nice preview of what my local Target undoubtedly had in the stock rooms. I need to frequent that place more. I can't miss out on Palps! He's my most wanted of this wave.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 18, 2010, 09:43 PM »
I saw the Magnaguard for the first time tonight on the pegs at Walmart. Not really as cool as I had been led to believe, maybe this was just an off-version though. Just seemed kind of cheap and rubbery.

The Obi-Wan from this wave is one hell of a peg-warmer so far around here.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 19, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Saw them all at Toys R Us today. Of course, the store where they are $10. Didn't buy any. Noticed the one ROTS clone trooper left had a pre-yellowed helmet, saves you some trouble of exposing it to the elements.  :P

Saw remainders at a Meijer (Anakin/Vader, Obi Wan, Cody and Sidious), considered Sidious, but...I've never been a  big Sidious/Emperor fan. Anakin Vader looks like he's wearing a wig. Really annoyed me, because I went to two Meijers yesterday when they had the 20% any toy coupon and found no ROTS wave or battle packs or newer vehicles. This one had all three. 

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 21, 2010, 08:42 AM »
I found Palpatine in Toys R Us last night.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #260 on: September 30, 2010, 04:40 PM »
Finally got the MagnaGuard...for those who don't collect both lines, the cape is the exact same one from that line.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #261 on: October 1, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Vintage Grievous is awesome, but he suffers from the same problem as the Legacy Grievous: rubber leg. I need to figure out a solution for posing this guy. I'm thinking of making some sort of wire stand for him that holds him around the waist and takes all his weight off his flimsy legs.

Hasbro really needs to give us some harder plastic for these guys...the kid-friendly excuse doesn't really work with a collector-focused line. Their choice in plastic is a cost-saving move.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 4, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Snagged Anakin, Palps and Grievous last night. Palps and Anakin are both fantastic, but they both have flaws.

The elbow joints on my Palpatine are kind of hard to move, due to the outfit. I'm really paranoid about stuff breaking, so I'm having to be extremely careful as to not rip the soft goods. I recall Jayson at Yakface posting a custom Palpatine with a more film accurate costume, which can be achieved if you have an extra brown Jedi robe. I might give that a shot. Love the expression a lot more than I did when I saw the prototype. And unlike the 09 Monkey Face Palpatine's hood, this Palp's hood is the perfect size, so it doesn't jostle around because it's not oversized.

Anakin is my favorite articulation wise. I always thought the Evolutions/TAC version was "good enough" but man, do ball jointed shoulders make a difference. My only complaint is with the hair, it just looks like it could pop off at any moment. Looks like they also could have sculpted a teeny tiny bit more hair around the ears/sideburns. Other than that, it's a great figure. Love the headsculpt/eyes.

Cape with free Grievous... basically the same Grievous we got 2 years ago but with a new cape! Actually the new articulation is pretty cool in the wrists, especially since the hands kind of easily pop off. Not sure if that was intended (probably not, but the fig is kind of fragile) but it's cool if you want to recreate The General getting his hand cut off. And to echo the earlier thoughts about the cape, probably the coolest soft goods ever produced by Hasbro. Honestly I'd buy one more Grievous if he came with new arms that you can't pull apart. Gonna have to do a headswap with the old one too, since the "ears" on mine are warped. Overall, a great figure, but too "rubbery." He's sturdy enough, but too rubbery.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #263 on: October 5, 2010, 01:25 AM »
The paintjobs are pretty significantly different between the two Grievous figures so you may not dig a headswap much.  Heat it in some hot (hot as you can get it) water under the spicket, and the ears should retake their natural shape.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 5, 2010, 05:32 AM »
This wave should be hitting any day over here. I'm not planning on picking up that many, but that could all change when I see them in person. Anakin, Grievous and the magna guard are on the list but I'm on the fence with Sidious due to that granny shawl.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #265 on: October 5, 2010, 03:50 PM »
I really think the Palpatine's among my favorites...  I've never quite followed why everyone hates it that much.  Mine looks fantastic.  The shawl thing allowed for poseability and I was able to make it look good on the figure.  The slight inaccuracy with the costume doesn't bother me either I guess though. 

People practically have pitchforks and torches out at a certain other site I guess. :)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 5, 2010, 06:24 PM »
The paintjobs are pretty significantly different between the two Grievous figures so you may not dig a headswap much.  Heat it in some hot (hot as you can get it) water under the spicket, and the ears should retake their natural shape.

Yeah I seem to recall the 08 Grievous being a lot more dull (maybe... I don't have mine with me at the moment). I'll give the hot water a try.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #267 on: October 5, 2010, 06:45 PM »
Yeah I thought they'd be the same color too but they're really different.  I was checking them when I got home.   :-\

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 6, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Found a Cody the other night.
The card is to cool to pass up...now I need to find Anakin.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 6, 2010, 07:10 PM »
This wave has just been spotted in Canada, so more loot on the pegs for us Canucks!