Author Topic: 2010 DVD/BD Thread  (Read 24712 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: 2010 DVD/BD Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Why wouldn't they include the 3D version that will work with 3D TVs?

Triple-dip, baby!  Why sell something twice when you can sell it three times?  It seems Mr. Cameron has learned a thing or two from our good Mr. Lucas.

Besides, the saturation of 3D TVs is almost nil right now, and probably won't be above a rounding error for at least a year.  It makes much more sense for them to hold off on a 3D release until more 3D TVs are in homes.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 11:50 AM »
Screw all this 3D nonsense.

Someone let me know when they have a hologram set that doesn't require goggles to watch.  Until then, I'm sticking with regular old 2D.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 12:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm curious how "big" the whole 3D thing will be for sure.  It seems like the studios are going nuts with it now with the success of Avatar, but it could very possibly be a fad too.  I haven't ever seen a 3D movie, so I guess I can't really say how big of a difference it would make to me.

Speaking of Avatar, I did go ahead and pick up the blu-ray/DVD combo pack this weekend as a "blind buy".  I was one of the 10 people who didn't get to see it in the theater, so I was anxious to check it out.  This isn't the Avatar or movie thread, but I will say it was pretty good - and the effects were pretty amazing.  I've noticed a lot of friends/co-workers (who often fall in the 5-10 year younger range) say this is "the best movie they've ever seen".  I would say they haven't seen enough movies if that is the case.  It wasn't bad, and like I said, looked great...but I don't think it was anything near that amazing when you take the entire movie into account.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 01:33 PM »
Screw all this 3D nonsense.

Someone let me know when they have a hologram set that doesn't require goggles to watch.  Until then, I'm sticking with regular old 2D.

Perzactly.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 11:25 PM »
I heard enough good stuff about Avatar to buy it on Blu-Ray.  It's really pretty, but what a stupid movie.  I thought all the Ferngully meets Dances With Wolves cracks were just jokes, but nope.  Dead on.  I can't imagine I will ever watch it again.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 09:20 AM »
Yeah, it amazes me it was the front-runner for the Academy Award.  It's just a dumb movie.  A dumb movie made with exceptional technical skill, but a dumb movie none-the-less.  Imagine what Cameron could do if he ever had a decent script.  Of course I think he's aiming more towards the lowest common denominator, which has worked out pretty well for him financially.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 10:55 AM »
Yeah, it amazes me it was the front-runner for the Academy Award.  It's just a dumb movie.  A dumb movie made with exceptional technical skill, but a dumb movie none-the-less. 

That's describes Titanic to a tee.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 11:51 AM »
Yeah, it amazes me it was the front-runner for the Academy Award.  It's just a dumb movie.  A dumb movie made with exceptional technical skill, but a dumb movie none-the-less.  Imagine what Cameron could do if he ever had a decent script.  Of course I think he's aiming more towards the lowest common denominator, which has worked out pretty well for him financially.

I'm just really happy to know that I'm not the only one that thinks it's overrated.  I thought it looked great, I liked the characters and, ultimately, the whole movie.  But I don't believe it deserves all this praise about it being the greatest film ever.  The geekgasm over this film boggles my mind.  I like District 9 and Hurt Locker so much better story-wise than I did Avatar.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Yeah, see, that's exactly how I was feeling after watching it.  I sort of had buyers' remorse as well, but I guess there are worse movies to blind-buy.  It isn't like I didn't enjoy it, and like I said, it looked pretty amazing - but the story/movie itself didn't do anything for me in particular.  It wasn't bad, but just nothing spectacular either.  I think I notice it more because - as mentioned already - it has all this praise heaped on it non-stop, as well as the awards nominations.  I don't know if it is a "younger generation" or just the hype building on its own, but I'm not quite sure why I've heard at least three people tell me it is "the best movie I've ever seen".

Like I said, I enjoyed it well enough, but I'm not so sure I'll watch it again either - at least not anytime soon (I thought it was a little too long as well).  Prior to seeing this, and even now after, I really don't see this movie being "remembered" 20 years down the road like Star Wars was/is - aside from it being the largest earning picture.  It just didn't seem all that revolutionary otherwise, aside from the pretty pictures.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Agreed.

I've said all along that it's a cool movie, but it's not best picture material and shouldn't have ever been seriously in that conversation. 

It was only in there because it made so much money.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 01:47 PM »
Even with all the "hype" it received / is receiving, I still have no desire to see it.  I'm sure I'll watch it eventually on a rainy day when there's nothing better to do.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Picked up GI Joe v2.0.  Yo Joe!!  My Target never got a shipment of these so I had to resort to WM.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I've got that Joe set on the way in an Amazon order as well.  Our local Targets didn't get that either, which was sort of surprising, but I hadn't checked WM yet.  Still enjoy watching those old Joe episodes.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 06:28 PM »
So I tried to watch my Avatar Blu-ray disc and I couldn't get it to play.  Sounds like I need to upgrade the firmware in my player - I haven't done that in a while  >:(

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Remember the good old days when you didn't have to upgrade your DVD player's firmware?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours