Author Topic: 2010 DVD/BD Thread  (Read 24641 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 DVD/BD Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 7, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Just curious, but has anyone here picked up either of the Harry Potter "Ultimate Edition" blu rays released so far?  I believed the next two (Prisoner of Azkaban/Goblet of Fire) are due later this year as well.  Although we are trying to cut back on our DVD/BD buying overall, we are trying to upgrade our favorite movies so that we have them on blu ray as well.  I'm debating whether to go this route and picking these up as they come out, or to get the five pack (which is significantly cheaper overall).  The "Ultimate Editions" do look pretty spiffy though, although they look as if they would take up a lot of shelf space.  Just curious if anyone here has picked one (or both) up.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 7, 2010, 02:22 PM »
My understanding (and I could be wrong) was that the DVD's included extended cuts but the Blu-rays don't yet. 

I think there's some extended cut ultimate boxed set planned... I'm holding out for that.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 7, 2010, 05:45 PM »
I'm not positive, but I think this recent release contains both the original and extended cuts of the film (there is also one for Chamber of Secrets), but I may be understanding that wrong.  The reviews seem pretty positive about this set in general, and it doesn't appear to be just a "double dip" cash grab like many others.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 7, 2010, 10:24 PM »
I have the Ultimate Editions of Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets on BD, and they both have about 7-8 minutes of new stuff.  Nothing spectacular, but kind of neat.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 8, 2010, 07:26 AM »
Just curious, but has anyone here picked up either of the Harry Potter "Ultimate Edition" blu rays released so far?  I believed the next two (Prisoner of Azkaban/Goblet of Fire) are due later this year as well.  Although we are trying to cut back on our DVD/BD buying overall, we are trying to upgrade our favorite movies so that we have them on blu ray as well.  I'm debating whether to go this route and picking these up as they come out, or to get the five pack (which is significantly cheaper overall).  The "Ultimate Editions" do look pretty spiffy though, although they look as if they would take up a lot of shelf space.  Just curious if anyone here has picked one (or both) up.

I picked both of them up, but have not had the chance to watch them yet.  As I understand it, the cuts are similar to whichever channel keeps running them on TV.  Essentially, it is the movie with the deleted scenes edited back into the movie.  If you remember the original Sorcerer's Stone DVD (where you had to jump through hoops to get the deleted scenes), one of them had Harry's aunt making eggs and each on she opened had a Hogwarts letter in it.

As for a deluxe box set, as with Star Wars, I'm sure there will be continuous rereleases...however, these deluxe sets do contain a lot of extras...I'd have to check my sets to see exactly what each one has.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 8, 2010, 10:38 AM »
I thought I had read that the BD sets had both the extended and regular versions included, is that the case?  I do think the extended versions are the ones that are regularly shown on ABC Family, if I remember right.  Also, a minor detail, but is the blu ray disc have its "own" packaging, or just included in one big box.  I looked at one of these at Best Buy once, and noticed that it is a pretty thick "binding" on the box...just storage/shelf space into consideration with these, so I was wondering.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 8, 2010, 11:40 AM »
I thought I had read that the BD sets had both the extended and regular versions included, is that the case?  I do think the extended versions are the ones that are regularly shown on ABC Family, if I remember right.  Also, a minor detail, but is the blu ray disc have its "own" packaging, or just included in one big box.  I looked at one of these at Best Buy once, and noticed that it is a pretty thick "binding" on the box...just storage/shelf space into consideration with these, so I was wondering.

I'll take a look at the set tonight and let you know.  As I remember it is a big fold out set with some loose paper materials with it.  I can't remember exactly how the discs are held, but I don't think it has an extra slip case for the discs.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2010, 12:30 PM »
Picked up the Simpsons: the complete 20th season.  Kinda sucks they're going down a different route with the packaging, but could someone explain what happened to seasons 13-19 at retail?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Picked up the Simpsons: the complete 20th season.  Kinda sucks they're going down a different route with the packaging, but could someone explain what happened to seasons 13-19 at retail?

They wanted to make some extra money by giving us Season 20 so soon to celebrate the milestone.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2010, 02:51 PM »
Meh...Will probably just return it and hope for a "regular" release sometime down the road.  Didn't pay attention when I bought it, but looks like it's completely void of any special features like all the other sets have.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:52 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Meh...Will probably just return it and hope for a "regular" release sometime down the road.  Didn't pay attention when I bought it, but looks like it's completely void of any special features like all the other sets have.

I thought about that when it first came out, but at the rate these are coming out I didn't want to wait God only knows how many years for the snazzy version.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2010, 12:26 AM »
I grabbed Taken and LOTR on Bluray today.  Should make for some good movie watching the next couple weeks.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2010, 08:49 AM »
I picked up Caddyshack on BD.  Amazingly, I've never owned that movie before in any form.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2010, 07:13 AM »

I'll take a look at the set tonight and let you know.  As I remember it is a big fold out set with some loose paper materials with it.  I can't remember exactly how the discs are held, but I don't think it has an extra slip case for the discs.

The box is about two inches wide.  All three discs are in one case (for Blu Ray...standard def has four discs).  The case is your basic quad fold case to hold the discs.  There is also a separate hard back book and some other paper materials.  Two of the discs are the bonus material and the first disc contains the theatrical release and the extended cut.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2010, 05:14 PM »
Picked up the following for $20ish at the last Movie Gallery in my area that's going under:

Deep Rising (been looking for a cheap version of this movie for a long time)
Sherlock Holmes
Trick 'r Treat (not sure of this but looked interesting)
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Zombieland