Author Topic: 2010 DVD/BD Thread  (Read 24637 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 DVD/BD Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 5, 2010, 02:20 PM »
A question for those that buy lots of DVD/BD. Do you guys actually watch all of these movies or do you just collect them? How often does each movie get watched on average?

I've gotten better with this, as I used to buy a lot of movies (and TV seasons) "just to have it".  Now - particularly since we've made the switch to blu ray - we've gotten a lot more selective with our purchases.  We pretty much only buy our favorites now, and the same goes for anything we'd upgrade that we already have on DVD.  I can admit that a lot of the DVDs we bought, especially in the first few years of having a player, we don't necessarily watch all that much.  The stuff that gets the most repeat viewings are the favorites - Star Wars, Indy, LOTR, Potter, superhero stuff, etc. - even though much of that is on TV now as well.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 6, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Picked up Flushed Away at Target for $4.75.  Another DVD that will likely lay dormant and might get watched in a few more years.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 6, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Picked up the Beauty and the Beast BluRay/DVD pack this week for the little one, although we'll all be watching it this weekend most likely :).

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 6, 2010, 10:55 PM »
Picked up Flushed Away at Target for $4.75.  Another DVD that will likely lay dormant and might get watched in a few more years.

It's worth watching sooner than that, definitely good for some laughs.

Picked up the Beauty and the Beast BluRay/DVD pack this week for the little one, although we'll all be watching it this weekend most likely :).

My wife will be very happy to hear it's out since it's one of her favourites.  I still need to grab Monsters Inc and Bugs Life.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 7, 2010, 09:53 AM »

Same here.  We got a $10 off coupon via the Disney Rewards site, so that brought the price down to $14.99.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Picked up the last DVD copy of CW Season 2 this morning at Target.  Still not convinced I need Blue Ray for animated stuff...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Man... animation is where you see the BIGGEST difference between DVD and Blu-ray.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2010, 01:23 PM »
Man... animation is where you see the BIGGEST difference between DVD and Blu-ray.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Must be time to get the eyes checked then...Only been about 20 years.   :-\

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 2, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Snagged one of the FIVE versions of Toy Story 3 today. Ended up getting the single disc DVD since I don't have BR, it had all the extras, and it was cheaper.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 2, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Snagged one of the FIVE versions of Toy Story 3 today. Ended up getting the single disc DVD since I don't have BR, it had all the extras, and it was cheaper.

Are you signed up through Disney Rewards?  I got a $8 off coupon good towards the purchase of the TS3 combo set that I'm thinking about buying since apparently animation looks better on BD?...so I've heard.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 2, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Picked up the combo pack "deluxe" version of Toy Story with the Blu Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo today.  With that $8 off coupon, plus a discount at Target, it only came to around $16 so I was pretty happy.

Also, as a side note, I'm in the camp that animation (and everything else) looks way better on blu ray.  I didn't think it was that big of a difference, and didn't necessarily care about High Def all that much until I saw the difference.  I think, at least for the most part, it is pretty significant.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 2, 2010, 10:06 PM »
I picked up Kick-Ass, Rogue, and Bridge on the River Kwai today.

I'm going to head down to Best Buy tomorrow with that coupon to see if I can pick up the 2-disc that's $19.99.

I'm quickly reaching the point where half of the movie collection will be BD... sometime in the next month or two I think.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 3, 2010, 09:29 AM »
I purchased the Toy Story 3 BD with the $8-off coupon and ordered the Anniversary Edition of The Goonies and The Pacific.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 3, 2010, 03:51 PM »

Are you signed up through Disney Rewards?  I got a $8 off coupon good towards the purchase of the TS3 combo set that I'm thinking about buying since apparently animation looks better on BD?...so I've heard.

Nah, I won't have a Blu-Ray until the Holy Trilogy hits next year. Might look into joining the rewards program though, there's a lot of stuff coming out of the Disney Vault over the next year that I plan on picking up.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks