Author Topic: 2010 DVD/BD Thread  (Read 24701 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 DVD/BD Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 5, 2010, 04:31 PM »
Haven't made a DVD purchase in a while and ended up getting an Amazon gift certificate through work, so I did some damage on my Wish List this afternoon.  Picked up Toy Story 3, Clone Wars Volume 2, Iron Man 1 & 2, and Spiderman 3.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 8, 2010, 12:55 PM »
This might be a bit off topic, but I thought it fit here.  For those familiar with Blu Ray, has anyone ever had a problem with their player skipping ahead a chapter or two on its own?  We got a player last year for Christmas from my parents (just a Vizio brand one, so nothing special), and on at least three seperate movies we've had this happen.  I have a tough time believing (or wanting to believe) that we have three bum blu rays, but after it happened this weekend watching Toy Story 3 with our daughter, I really got more concerned about it.  It will jut randomly skip ahead a couple of chapters, and if you rewind it manually and rewatch it there won't be any problems.  Just wondering if anyone knew if we had a bad player, bad movies, or just a fluke (it happened more than once, in the same place in all three cases).

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 8, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Whenever something weird has happened to me with my old player, and especially if it was only happening on some movies and not all movies, updating the firmware for the player seemed to fix the problem.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 8, 2010, 01:40 PM »
^^ right. more than often this "fluke" that your are experiencing probably has to due with a new safe guard DVD manufacturers are constanly updating to keep piracy at bay.  your dvd player couldn't work through it - but updating it will probably (hopefully) do the trick.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 8, 2010, 08:20 PM »
I've had to update the firmware twice on my blu-ray player.  Both times for me it wouldn't even load the title screens for the movies.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 8, 2010, 08:53 PM »
Remember when watching a movie just meant putting it in your player and pressing play?

I hate this update firmwware rubbish, but as i'm using my ps3 its not such a hassle to do
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 9, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Its worse for me. I don't have a dvd player physically connected to the TV. I have to rip the DVD to the server. Then start the xbox, run media center and pick a movie to stream. But at least, I only have to rip it once.  :P
« Last Edit: November 9, 2010, 10:46 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 9, 2010, 11:28 AM »
Remember when watching a movie just meant putting it in your player and pressing play?

I hate this update firmwware rubbish, but as i'm using my ps3 its not such a hassle to do

That's exactly what I was thinking.  All our "regular" DVDs play just fine, but to watch our blu rays we're apparently going to have to try this as well.  All the advances in technology, yet it was easier to watch a movie from start to finish on my parents' VCR as a kid :).  This is probably a super stupid question, but how does one go about updating the firmware?  I found the file I need on the company website, but do you need your BD player hooked up to the web to do it?  Do you download the file to a disk, or am I just way off on how to do this.  I used to consider myself somewhat tech "savvy", but I just don't keep up as well anymore.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 9, 2010, 01:29 PM »

That's exactly what I was thinking.  All our "regular" DVDs play just fine, but to watch our blu rays we're apparently going to have to try this as well.  All the advances in technology, yet it was easier to watch a movie from start to finish on my parents' VCR as a kid :).  This is probably a super stupid question, but how does one go about updating the firmware?  I found the file I need on the company website, but do you need your BD player hooked up to the web to do it?  Do you download the file to a disk, or am I just way off on how to do this.  I used to consider myself somewhat tech "savvy", but I just don't keep up as well anymore.

After reading the last several posts on this issue, I decided I should probably check my Bluray player.   I have a Pioneer Elite and they gave me a whole list of button mashing to do on my remote to check my firmware version.  To make the actual update, they said to download the files to a computer and then burn them to a CD to put in the player.  Not sure if this is the same for all players or not.  I think I have an ethernet port on my player, but I would have the slightest clue on how to update that way.  Burning a CD looks to be the easy way for me.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 9, 2010, 01:49 PM »
I know some players have USB ports as well and you can download the updates to a USB drive and do it that way rather than wasting a CD.  Depends on the player, obviously. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 9, 2010, 04:33 PM »
Just wait until your refrigerator needs a bios upgrade. >:D

Damm engineers!  8)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 9, 2010, 07:08 PM »
  To make the actual update, they said to download the files to a computer and then burn them to a CD to put in the player.  Not sure if this is the same for all players or not...  Burning a CD looks to be the easy way for me.

This is what I have to do to update my Sony Blu player.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2010, 10:24 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and info on this everyone.  I downloaded the update and burned it on a CD to hopefully fix the problem.  So far, so good.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2010, 05:02 PM »
The system is just updating its copy protection routines. In a way, the movie industry is saying, "you are a pirate and we don't want you to play your pirated disc." The funny thing is this just inconviences you as a movie buyer evertime the bios needs updating while the real pirate has hacked the copy protection within minutes of it being released.

But you as a honest movie buyer must be a pirate so you need to be stopped.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Is anyone planning on purchasing the Avatar Extended-Collector's Edition that comes out next week? I figured something like this would come out, so I never bought the regular release.  Not a bad pre-order price on Amazon right now...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!