Author Topic: RC Hailfire Droid  (Read 17089 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: RC Hailfire Droid
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 10:23 PM »
still waiting to see a video of it in action

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 10:55 PM »
If this was the first time the vehicle was being released, I would definitely be a lot more excited.

I will get it, but it's gonna be really hard for me to justify getting a second one to open.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 02:30 PM »
Easy pass for me too.  Maybe if my kid were to want one, but personally I have no desire for a plump Hailfire when there's three previous versions released aleady - and each of those look a lot better and were much more affordable.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 09:16 PM »
It's definitely not quite as realistic (at least at the wheels) as the regular version, but to me that's a nice sacrifice to make a toy that functions, rolls, is intended to run Clone figures over and things...  This is a much different toy, in those regards.  It's aimed largely at kids and people who want to mess around with it, and I'd fall into that category.  I mean, my CW2D version doesn't roll well, youc an't push it and make it go...  So something like this is cool, and different to me, but certain concessions are going to be necessary for it to function.

It's like R2 with light/sounds...  Certain concessions on that figure's poseabitlity and such will be made for the functionality...  Or maybe a better analogy is the RC astromechs we got.  They're not quite as nice as a static Hasbro astromech, but there's a certain "fun" to them for me...  I had a little Death Star set-up and wheeling that Q5 around it was kind of fun.

This is similar, but I think more aimed at the kids too...  Rolling over Clones, rolling around a floor firing its missles at the AT-TE or other big item...  From a play-pattern POV that's pretty great stuff. 

I've always had an interest in RC stuff as a hobby though too, so I'm sure that makes it more appealing to me as well.  For kids though I think this will be popular, though $50-ish may make it not popular enough.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 3, 2010, 02:27 PM »
said it before, and I'll say it again - need to see it in action before I buy it.  I buy everything for my son (almost 7) to play with.  He has an RC car and likes it - if this functions well I can see myself grabbing this for him or possibly him putting it on his christmas list.

The bad thing is the price - thats a lot of money and as pointed out already you can get one of the other 3 previously released versions cheap - I just bought one that was MIB from someone for only $10.

But I am not going to get it until I see one in action - I am kinda surprised it wasn't shown off more at TF.

One at $10 is awesome - a second on anything costing $40-$50 more than you got the first at better be pretty darn spectacular.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: May 3, 2010, 07:17 PM »
I have a feeling it will function well only because RC's something that in recent years has jumped in quality...  In the last 10 or so years, the technology has just vastly improved where battery life's pretty great compared to the stuff I remember as a kid, and charge times are down on rechargeable stuff...  That's a great improvement.  I hope it has good speed to it, as they moved fairly fast in AOTC (this is still one I'm surprised hasn't seen more action in the cartoon...  It's probably one of the cooler designs IMO).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 03:20 PM »
Saw it today at TRU... didn't look any better in person.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 08:19 PM »
This is the image I've been waiting for here.  It really says it all... no way is it worth $60.00. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see this on clearance pretty much everywhere after Christmas.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 08:27 PM »
Because it's sitting next to the $100 AT-AT?  ???

It's a remote controlled toy...  It seems appropriately priced compared to a lot of the RC toys in the toy aisle at $60 then...  Since we saw AT-TE's on clearance, BMF's, CW Y-Wings, and Turbo Tanks...  I'd say you're hardly going out on a limb predicting clearance on this, CHEWIE.  ;)

It's like predicting AT-AT's could hit clearance...  Given the track record of anything above basically $30 or $40, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 10:07 PM »
I question why even create a remote control toy.

As for the AT-AT comparison - absolutely.  Value wise, when you see this in the box in person, you'll see that it looks ridiculously overpriced compared to everything else in the aisle.  I've already seen several in my area, and talked to collectors at the stores that say there's no way they're forking over that kind of money for it.  

And from what I've read around, most people who post on the sites would rather spend their dollars on just about anything other than this over the next several months.  I think Hasbro is going to be in for a disappointment here, and would be surprised if we see more offerings after this one (unless they have already invested in another one that is in development).

Also, maybe $60 is fair for what it does, but I can personally think of quite a few other things that I'd rather see Hasbro invest their resources into for a similar price range... I mean, they can do this, but not a nice playset for this price?  Something tells me that, oh... say perhaps a new Bespin Freeze Chamber playset to coincide with the 30th anniversary of ESB would be more appealing.  Pack in a new Han Solo, and I doubt any of those if they were made would be sitting around as long as these things will.  Then also consider that the sculpt on this thing is a huge step back from the regular mold... and this thing is a niche toy if I've ever seen one in the 3-3/4" scale.  Hasbro's taking a pretty big risk here - yet they won't take that risk on playsets.  I find that extremely frustrating.

Sorry Jesse, I know you like this thing and all, but I ain't feeling it.  My 3-year old kid might think it's cool actually, but those missiles would be lost in a heartbeat and he'd be pissed, so there's plenty of other things I'll be spending those hard earned dollars on.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 10:08 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 10:36 PM »
I question this too, only considering its a relatively low recognition vehicle getting a relatively huge showcase.  I'm sure Hasbro wanted some major CW vehicle to be out there to compliment the AT AT, which is cool.  I just don't think this is it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 11:07 PM »
I question why even create a remote control toy.

Why? 

I know it's not something you'll buy, but you're a 30+ year old man, like myself.  Not a 10 year old.  It's not a toy aimed at "us".  It's aimed at "them", who most of the modern line itself is aimed at.

As for the AT-AT comparison - absolutely.  Value wise, when you see this in the box in person, you'll see that it looks ridiculously overpriced compared to everything else in the aisle.  I've already seen several in my area, and talked to collectors at the stores that say there's no way they're forking over that kind of money for it.

Actually, I have seen it in person, back in February, when I was at Toy Fair. :)  Same time I saw the AT-AT, and they weren't far from one another.

The AT-AT is $100 worth of toy...  Possibly more, which Hasbro said that it was coming in at more but they were only releasing it for $100.  Probably because of all the clearances, even at $100, making them reluctant to put it out for more. 

The Hailfire Droid is not as big as the AT-AT, but costs about half as much...  And it's a remote controlled toy to run over clones with.  Like I said, I go back to my point I made about this in February, that it's for kids.  It's to entertain kids.  It's to be "fun" and move around, and interact in a unique way with the action figure line.  Compared to other RC toys, its size and price are pretty in line with each other.  Look at the RC Gunship and such.  They weren't cheap either, but they actually didn't do dismally at retail either, to the point they got continued.  They were far from cheap though.

And from what I've read around, most people who post on the sites would rather spend their dollars on just about anything other than this over the next several months.  I think Hasbro is going to be in for a disappointment here, and would be surprised if we see more offerings after this one (unless they have already invested in another one that is in development).

And most people posting on websites like ours aren't 10.

I'd be surprised if they offer more RC stuff like the Hailfire Droid though, simply because I can't think of what they'd do.  The Hailfire's design itself worked for the concept, but not much else in Star Wars does.  Nothing exciting and that they can tie to Clone Wars anyway.  :-\  Good or bad at retail, the choices are pretty limited on this type of thing, and to have them still be an "exciting" item to kids. 

Also, maybe $60 is fair for what it does, but I can personally think of quite a few other things that I'd rather see Hasbro invest their resources into for a similar price range... I mean, they can do this, but not a nice playset for this price?  Something tells me that, oh... say perhaps a new Bespin Freeze Chamber playset to coincide with the 30th anniversary of ESB would be more appealing. 

True, but then again, like  I said, a $60 Bespin Freeze Chamber is for you...  And me...  And other 30+ year olds buying toys, which is a dwindling market.

Then again, Hasbro offered us a cool Lars Homestead that didn't sell, so maybe the same would be said of a Bespin Freeze Chamber for $60.

Then also consider that the sculpt on this thing is a huge step back from the regular mold... and this thing is a niche toy if I've ever seen one in the 3-3/4" scale.  Hasbro's taking a pretty big risk here - yet they won't take that risk on playsets.  I find that extremely frustrating.

I can't say I agree on the sculpt being that huge of a regression, but I feel your pain on playsets.  I don't think the risk here, is the same as a risk on a big playset though.  The risk on the playset is banking on adults.  The risk on the RC Hailfire Droid is banking on the lion's share of the market, which spend more.  The risk's aren't anywhere near one another then, in my view.

Sorry Jesse, I know you like this thing and all, but I ain't feeling it.  My 3-year old kid might think it's cool actually, but those missiles would be lost in a heartbeat and he'd be pissed, so there's plenty of other things I'll be spending those hard earned dollars on.

I do like it, but not because I think it's a scaled perfectly, accurately detailed Hailfire Droid that has features out the whazzoo, and things.  I like it because the "kid in me" likes it.  It's the same reason I like playing Uno.  It's something that will have some fun to it, but I'm not the guy they made it for.

At $60, like I said, you're hardly going on a limb predicting clearance.  The precedent is there, well established, that pretty much anything above $40 has a grand chance of seeing CLearance.  As precedent has also shown though, it doesn't mean that sales were bad enough that it wasn't a good move financially.  I'm glad they made it, and I think for the CW3D line it's a good idea.

An RC Sandcrawler for the Vintage Line though?  Bad idea.  :-\

Now, Darby's point about it being low profile...  I can't disagree.  It hasn't even turned up in the CW Cartoon that I can recall.  But it's made for that line for a reason I think, and I agree with you Darby, on Hasbro possibly doing this to get something with some umph out for the Clone Wars line specifically.  Still, I think the AT-AT is intended to bridge a gap between collector and kid as well.  It's a walker, it's very Clone-ish...  I think they're  expecting kids to want that as much as adults, or more.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 11:20 PM »
Dude, I'd be all over an RC Sandcrawler!   ;)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2010, 11:32 PM »
Some good points Jesse... but hold on a second...

You say you can see why they made a remote control toy.  Yet you also say the Hailfire has a low profile.  But then you also indicated that you can't see them doing something else as a remote control toy after this one... so that goes back to my point... why do it at all?  I know you have your reasons and are seeing this through Hasbro's eyes, but I think their lenses need to be cleaned a bit.  Remember, these people also thought Choppers were a brilliant idea aimed at kids.  

I can't say the Lars Homestead is a great comparison to a nice Bespin playset, because it was overpriced beyond any level of sanity.  Once they hit around $35 though, everywhere around here they were gobbled up quick as that price was more in line with what the set should have originally been.  Really - that thing should have never been priced so high, or at least if it was it should have come with all new versions of Owen and Beru.  I can't blame you for the comparison though, because there's not much else in the playset avenue Hasbro has done... their fault entirely in my opinion.  They have the coolest toy license around and should be setting trends.

Anyways, we'll see if the RC Hailfire is a success or not.  I doubt it will be, but more power to Hasbro if is.  I just can't see it though when one can almost get three mid sized vehicles for a similar price.

When you get it, I look forward to the video you post running over some clones with it.   ;) 

And I think it's cool they tried something new, but... eh.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:34 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 12:02 AM »
You say you can see why they made a remote control toy.  Yet you also say the Hailfire has a low profile.  But then you also indicated that you can't see them doing something else as a remote control toy after this one... so that goes back to my point... why do it at all?  I know you have your reasons and are seeing this through Hasbro's eyes, but I think their lenses need to be cleaned a bit.  Remember, these people also thought Choppers were a brilliant idea aimed at kids.

I can't say the Hailfire has a low profile, but that it's a good idea?  Like I said, they made it for kids, in the line that's almost entirely geared at kids (CLone Wars 3D).  Having a low profile maybe doesn't help its cause, but it also doesn't hurt it either since it's marketed at that line that is selling the best.  It's the same reason the origianl GIJ Tank that came out was motorized and things.  It looked like poo, but it rolled around over Cobras and logs and dirt (well, for a little while), and was FUN, and for the kiddies.  The Hailfire maybe is going to get some play in the toon?  I don't know that.  It's a 2010 item so that's possible I guess.  If they were wanting to do something like this though, they had no real good choices otehrwise. 

THis gives kids, who have probably amassed a Clone army by default now, the opportunity to run them over and spin around, and fire rockets at AT-TE's and Turbo Tanks...  It's even getting a battlepack made specifically to interact with the item.  It's no mystery what the play patterns are there, that Hasbro is banking on with this toy.

I'm seeing this through more than Hasbro's eyes, but also the eyes of kids.  If it were me, I'd want it scaled perfectly, thinner wheels, all the missles firing, and all of them accurately sculpted to look like the ones in the films, and a paintjob that makes it look like the Genosis HF Droid.  :)  But again, I'm not who they are selling this to.

Hasbro may have made "Choppers", but they've also kept a toy line running since 1995 that should've died probably around 1999 or 2000. 

I can't say the Lars Homestead is a great comparison to a nice Bespin playset, because it was overpriced beyond any level of sanity.  Once they hit around $35 though, everywhere around here they were gobbled up quick as that price was more in line with what the set should have originally been.  Really - that thing should have never been priced so high, or at least if it was it should have come with all new versions of Owen and Beru.  I can't blame you for the comparison though, because there's not much else in the playset avenue Hasbro has done... their fault entirely in my opinion.  They have the coolest toy license around and should be setting trends.

I agree, shouldn't have been priced that high, but it was...  and my opinion of why it was too much is just my perception as a consumer.  I don't think figures should be $7.99 either.  And even around me, at $35, they were easy to get yet.  That's when I bought mine and was much happier.  I can't say though, what that should've cost, as I don't know what it did cost the company.  I do know the larger the pieces, the higher the cost of tooling.  I know that from my manufacturing experiences with steel, and injection molds. 

A figure's arm, leg, or head, costs so much.  The chassis halves the Turbo Tank has (I only use it as an example as I have one apart on my floor right now) are a LOT larger than a figure's limb.  The dome for the Lars hut is a pretty big chunk of plastic.  Same with the base.  I may have viewed it as a $35 toy, but what it actually cost to produce, and make a good profit margin for TRU to say, "Sure we'll buy that" is different.  Or at least it may be, I don't know.  I just know Hasbro isn't being misleading when they tell us that the tooling dollars for a playset, because it's bigger, costs more.  Maybe the Lars Homestead only cost $10 to make though?  I doubt it, but who knows?

Anyways, we'll see if the RC Hailfire is a success or not.  I doubt it will be, but more power to Hasbro if is.  I just can't see it though when one can almost get three mid sized vehicles for a similar price.

I guess.  I look at it as not terribly different from the sub-lines Hasbro's tried with kids.  I can't say I hope it does well or not because I don't foresee a second item that I'd really want.  A hailfire Droid was the only thing RC I was really thinking they could do, and now they have, so I hope it does good for the line's sake only.  I don't expect them to roll out another RC item though, unless they make something up or something wheeled turns up in the cartoon that they can crank out.   :-\

What I wanted is happening though, more or less.  Like I said, it's not EXACTLY as I would've done it, but then again mine would've been more a model, and less a toy. 

I'd love a giant RC Sandcrawler too Darby, but like I said...  Bad idea for the line. :)  *shrugs*