Author Topic: TRU Exclusive Nikto Guard?  (Read 12404 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: TRU Exclusive Nikto Guard?
« Reply #15 on: March 4, 2010, 10:26 PM »
I would hope that Nikto follows the grid for TRU Joe exclusives, but that's not going to happen - would be nice though.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 4, 2010, 11:06 PM »
I don't recall a SW exclusive figure to retail for anything below $9.99.

Yeah, this is the kicker...  And from a perspective of possibly wanting a couple, that's some possibly ugly buying in the future if these roll out at the $9.99 like Holo Yoda, or Ponds were.

Okay, but when was the last TRU SW exclusive that didn't have an offer of free with $25 purchase at some point during the promotion?  I'm not a fan of exclusives in general, but I think TRU has had the best prices/offers out of all of them.  And even at $9.99 you'd only be paying a few bucks more than Target prices on basic figures ($8.24 at my local stores).
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: March 4, 2010, 11:13 PM »
I'm not sure as I haven't bought an exclusive at all at TRU in ages...  Still, what if there's nothing you want?  That makes it even worse really. :)

It's a long drought on new things for some time it seems...  at least as Legacy goes.

I'm not even really interested in the figure myself, I'm speaking clearly from the perspective of someone who thinks, "boy it'd be nice to have 2 or 3 of those" for a Jabba or something.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 5, 2010, 12:22 AM »
I think the deal on Ponds was $9.99 every day and for a week or two you could also just get him free with $25 Star Wars purchase.  Like I said, the $10 isn't bad at all for an exclusive, but the free is a super deal.  If you were going to pay the $10, you're now getting $25 worth of other stuff for 40% off.  Or, with their $7 basic fig pricing you could buy up their basic figs and return them to another retailer to get even more money back. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 5, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Still, what if there's nothing you want?  That makes it even worse really. :)

It's a long drought on new things for some time it seems...  at least as Legacy goes.

This was the exact problem I had with the Ponds release. The timing was horrible. They had already released all their other exclusives and other new stuff before Ponds ever hit the shelves, so there was never anything I needed to get him free. I had to pay full retail price as a penalty for not waiting around to buy the other stuff.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 5, 2010, 12:42 PM »
Still, what if there's nothing you want?  That makes it even worse really. :)

This was the exact problem I had with the Ponds release. The timing was horrible. They had already released all their other exclusives and other new stuff before Ponds ever hit the shelves, so there was never anything I needed to get him free. I had to pay full retail price as a penalty for not waiting around to buy the other stuff.

Okay, so at full retail you paid $10 for him.  If it were a Target exclusive you would have paid $13 and online it would have been $15 + $8 shipping.  Take the amount you "saved" by getting it at TRU and apply that to the $25 deal where you get the item for free.  If you factor that you "saved" $13 by getting this free at TRU instead of having to buy it at Target, then apply those savings to the $25 worth of stuff you say you don't need.  Is there anything at TRU that you would buy if you had a coupon for $13 off?  I'd pick up a spare battle pack or exclusive vehicle or even stuff you already have and can return elsewhere.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 5, 2010, 12:57 PM »
I don't see the $10 as too outrageous for an exclusive and I don't think you can blame TRU for not having stuff you want to buy at that particular time.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 5, 2010, 01:21 PM »
For what it's worth, I think this is a much more desirable figure than Ponds... how many Nikto figures do we have in the CW line versus clones? 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: March 5, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I don't know, I don't consider $9.99 figures a plus I guess...  Exclusive or not.  $7.99's not even pallatable most days.  So I can't say I look at $9.99 as a value.  And as far as blaming TRU for not having stuff, that's to each their own...  It's like KM running a BOGO sale and not having anything in stock worth buying (which they've done in the past, though they've also done the opposite and had stuff nobody else did in stock as well).

My main point was, like CHEWIE just said, it's a desirable figure...  Not just one, but a couple.  So $9.99 kind of stinks, and buying $25 of things you may not want that badly to get it "free", equally stinks.

I'm more curious to see what the now exclusive last wave of EU Legacy figures chime in at.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 5, 2010, 03:03 PM »
But not having anything in stock for BOGO isn't the same as not having the newest releases arriving right at the same time as your free exclusive.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #25 on: March 5, 2010, 03:06 PM »
I'm more curious to see what the now exclusive last wave of EU Legacy figures chime in at.

I asked about that very thing for the next round of QnAs, so hopefully we'll get a clear answer versus the "we don't set retail prices" answer.  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: March 5, 2010, 03:11 PM »
I haven't said anything about them having to have new releases in though...  KM just happened to.  What I'm saying is having anything you find desirable or want, to get a free figure.  If you're buying things you don't want to get a free figure, you're not getting a free figure.  You're buying a $25 vehicle or whatnot to get the $10 figure, but you still are buying something you don't want really.

And if you're buying a $10 figure, that has its own downside obviously.

Of course TRU's usually pretty easy to find something (for me anyway) that having a second of wouldn't bother me, like a Droid Fighter or something, but for others they're buying a $10 figure...  That's usually sucky to people, but that's the way the exclusives go unless the Nikto guard is out when all the new blue packaged stuff comes out for Clone Wars, which is entirely possible.  Then it becomes more a race for the figure than anything.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 5, 2010, 08:42 PM »
So, hypothetically of course, can you buy 3 Niktos and get a free Nikto during the promotion? That's 30 bucks for four figures. Nope, I guess that still doesn't sound like a deal.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: March 6, 2010, 01:06 AM »
That's $7+ per figure...  if you wanted 4 Nikto's, I guess that's fair.  Not sure if TRU allows that or not?  I'm guessing first week of the promo, probably not.  I haven't gotten a promo figure there in ages.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 6, 2010, 04:04 AM »
Very lame that its an exclusive. It should be made widely available since it was originally meant to be distributed to all retail outlets.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"