Author Topic: The Donkey Kong Points Record has been broken...Finally  (Read 15731 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender

Man Beats Donkey Kong Jr. Record

This record had stood for over 20 years!  

Great work dude...

Which reminds me anyone think George would have eventually gotten the Frogger world record?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 01:52 PM by OCB »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Donkey Kong Points Record has been broken...Finally
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 11:19 AM »
I still find it amazing that this record lasted this long.  DK is my all time favorite arcade game that does not get much credit nowadays.  This is one game that needs to be re-released on a current gaming system.  No updates (DK Country).  Just good ole DK. And no the E-Reader for Gameboy does not count. How about a DK greatest hits package?  DK, DK jr. and DK3.  Boy those would bring back memories.  

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 11:43 AM »
Great news.  With all the bad news in the world, this and Britney finally admitting she's not a virgin, has certainly picked me up  ;)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 11:53 AM »
This is a where were you when type of moment, sort of like when the Challenger Blew Up or JFK was shot

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 12:53 PM »
That guy is from my town!  I shall search him out and destroy him.  The game will be mine...Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Donkey Kong Jr. Points Record has been broken...Finally
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 01:24 PM »
The game was actually Donkey Kong Jr., not Donkey Kong.   :P  That CNN article actually mixes up the two several times as well...

Those were probably my two all time most favorite arcade games as a kid.  I'd play 'em for hours!  I still play them both whenever I come across them, and can still get up close to 100,000 on them.  What can I say, the old man's still got it!   8)

I've been waiting for years for Nintendo (or anyone) to put these two all-time classics out for PC.  I'm always on the lookout for any new games with any old arcade classics that I grew up on, but these two are definitely at the top of my list.  No idea what the hold up is, considering what a generally hot commodity the Mario/Donkey Kong property is...   :-\

So that article never mentioned the number of players that the guy started with.  I'd assume it'd have to be the standard 3 only, otherwise it's not really legit.  Pretty surprising that something like this actually made the news.  I had NO idea people actually kept track of world record video game scores like this.  I'd love to see a list of the records for a lot of the other older games!  Anyone know where I can find one?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 01:52 PM »
Matt, the guy played on an arcade machine, and you don't have control as to how many lives you can have when you start the game.  However he did it, he beat the record.  I can't believe the record stood for 20 years.  That's amazing!
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 01:58 PM »
This book at Amazon has them all

Twin Galaxies' Official Video Game & Pinball

Their website is down probably because everyone is going there from the CNN article

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 02:06 PM »
Matt, the guy played on an arcade machine, and you don't have control as to how many lives you can have when you start the game.

Actually, you (the owner, not the player) can definitely control how many lives you have to play with.  I see it all the time on some of the older 80's video games.  When we were kids, almost everything started with just 3 lives, but in the past 10-15 years, whenever I see these classic arcade games, including DK and DK Jr., they can often have 4, 5, 6, or more lives racked up and ready to go at the start of each game.  So there's definitely a way for the game owner to adjust that option...   :-*
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 02:08 PM by JediMAC »

Virex

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 02:20 PM »
I've been waiting for years for Nintendo (or anyone) to put these two all-time classics out for PC.  I'm always on the lookout for any new games with any old arcade classics that I grew up on, but these two are definitely at the top of my list.  No idea what the hold up is, considering what a generally hot commodity the Mario/Donkey Kong property is...   :-\

Matt, you can download a popular arcade emulator for your PC called Mame here:

www.mame.net

Once you download it (and the actual game roms themselves), you can play virtually any classic arcade game you can think of on your PC, with the caveat that you own the games you're downloading the roms for (wink wink, nudge nudge).  Of course, this includes the Donkey Kong games as well as the Star Wars games, provided you find the roms yourself (I don't believe the MAME site hosts any of the roms itself).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 02:28 PM »
Turns out the guy who's record he broke was the guy who set the Pac-Man perfect game record (all possible points with no lies lost, all 256 levels) a few years back.  I remember reading that article as well...

Billy Mitchell holds these records:

Centipede
Pac-Man
Ms. Pac Man
Donkey Kong
Burger Time

People really need to read this interview of the man, the myth, the legend

Billy Mitchell

This guy is almost as good as MICHAEL FRIGHT
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 02:30 PM by OCB »

Virex

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 02:31 PM »
The game was actually Donkey Kong Jr., not Donkey Kong.   :P  That CNN article actually mixes up the two several times as well...

After going back and reading the article, it seems that the photo is a little misleading.  

The report itself is about the first Donkey Kong game, but the picture (and the text under the picture) has to do with Donkey Kong, Jr..  

Seems to me that this guy now is the record-holder for both DK and DK, Jr..

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2003, 02:33 PM »
I go to this site to play Classic Arcade Games.

Classic 80's Arcade Games

Video Game Emulators & Games for Windows

A Blast from the past!  ;D

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2003, 02:44 PM »
The Pac-Man king was supposedly planning a big stunt to do to shock the world into respecting what he does in his free time... Guess he'll have to put those plans on the back-burner and win that highest score title again.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2003, 02:50 PM »
After going back and reading the article, it seems that the photo is a little misleading.  

The report itself is about the first Donkey Kong game, but the picture (and the text under the picture) has to do with Donkey Kong, Jr..  

Seems to me that this guy now is the record-holder for both DK and DK, Jr..

You might be right Virex.  That would explain the odd discrepancy between ...after setting a new world record with more than 900,000 points and the text under the picture stating ...became the first player to get a million points.  Interestingly enough, it looks like this guy beat that same Billy Mitchell's record for DK Jr. as well.  Popular fella this Billy is...

But I'd kick his butt if he ever stepped foot into my local arcade!   :D

I'll have to check out those couple 80's gaming sites you guys just mentioned...

Twin Galaxies' Official Video Game & Pinball

Their website is down probably because everyone is going there from the CNN article

Yep, it's down.  But here's the link if you want to check back in on them later on:  Twin Galaxies video games high scores
« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 02:58 PM by JediMAC »