Author Topic: Hasbro GI Joe Q&A  (Read 58610 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Hasbro GI Joe Q&A
« on: March 2, 2010, 10:18 AM »
Ok Joes.....

The new format for QnA's is out and if you have seen other sites, they may mentioned it, but for the casual Joe fans here at JD.com, here is the rundown...

Every site still gets to ASK 3 questions.  However, they will only answer 1 question per site.  The rest of the questions will be put through the "filter" and only a handful of others will be answered.   They will send the answers back to all sites at the same time in a list format.

Just recently they have also added a few "hints" as to how to ask questions.  There has been rumbling about these, but I for one am thrilled to see them.  They want questions about product and plans, not production numbers and profit margins.  They want questions about the line, not questions that are veiled slaps about how Fans could run their company better than they do.

So I propose a "Challenge" here for us at JD.com... we are going to ask our questions.  I am going to ask one (because what is the point of owning a website if you don't get to do fun stuff) the other 2 questions are for you guys to ask.   IF they pick the question you submit, then JD.com will send you a Figure or Small vehicle that is currently available at Retail.   IF you get yours answered 2 times in a row, the 2nd time you will get a Medium vehicle (there are only 5 QnA sessions this year so new Vehicles should be available by then).

PM me the questions because I don't want your good question getting sucked into the ether.  But please put a "PM sent" post in here. 

AFTER Question submission Deadline (March 8, but we are turning ours in Friday) I will post the questions I got.   I will let Jesse and Jeff pick which Joe questions (besides mine) get asked so that there is not a chance for anyone to think I accepted "lame" questions so that I did not have to have a contest winner. (Although, our guys ask the best questions so there is no chance to even get a lame question.)

Get your questions in.  I already have mine in mind.

Oh, and if they pick my questions all you guys owe me my weight in Joes...it seems only fair.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hasbro G.I. Joe Q&A
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2010, 12:35 PM »
I like the idea Paul - thanks a lot for offering it up - and your "contest" idea is a good one too.  I too am also happy about the subject restrictions Hasbro is going to be implementing in the future.  Now we get hints and sneek peaks instead garbage jibba-jabba that many people are posting.

Although I do hope Hasbro continues to "research" by checking into collection websites to hear how their fan base is doing so they still can hear the complaints when they do arise.

As for questions regarding Joes - I don't have any at this time.  However, I am now curious to see/ask if JD.com has a section to ask questions about the Marvel lines - Marvel Universe imparticular.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Hasbro G.I. Joe Q&A
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2010, 02:10 PM »
That is a really cool idea Paul.  I'm sort of glad to see Hasbro change up the "rules" for the Q and A a bit as well - particularly about what they'd like to be asked questions about.  I sort of hope we see something like that with Star Wars too, as I'm sort of tired the sarcastic questions from some of the sites (not here), and comments like "why do you suck Hasbro" sort of veiled into the questions.  I've been surprised Hasbro has even answered some of those questions over the past year or so.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Hasbro G.I. Joe Q&A
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2010, 04:04 PM »
Sounds like fun Paul!  At least (hopefully) only meaningful questions will be asked amongst the fandom from this point.  Glad to hear Hasbro is laying out some "hints" on questions.  I personally have little to no interest in ROC or POC so I don't think I'll be contributing much, but this is an awesome idea for those who do!
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Hasbro G.I. Joe Q&A
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Don't let my paraphrasing of the rules keep you from asking questions... here it is from the PR group...

- Topics open for discussion – Deco Decisions, Design Choices, Design Process/Development and Redeco/Retooling. Also, questions pertaining to past and current Lore/Storyline, Line Strategy and Marketing.

· Topics that cannot be addressed - “When will X toy be made/redesigned/released?”, Hypothetical, Sales/Cost Data, Product Idea Submissions, Potential Design/Redesign and Future Movie/Entertainment.

So even if you are not a ROC or POC fan, I think there are questions to be asked for sure.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Hasbro G.I. Joe Q&A
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2010, 07:09 PM »
Thanks for clarifying Paul!  Looks like I'm still in the game then.   :)

Question on vinty Joe repros - do they make replacement leg hook/joint things?  I went to position my IG Destro in his chariot and it snapped.  Thought it was the o-ring, but not after I saw the metal hook fall out of the body.   :-\  I'm well aware with o-ring snapage, but is this a common problem or just a freak incident?  All the joints on this figure are very tight.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hasbro G.I. Joe Q&A
« Reply #6 on: March 3, 2010, 08:31 AM »
· Topics that cannot be addressed - “When will X toy be made/redesigned/released

whoa - that sucks right there.  So no more questions like "are there any plans to release any of the Dreadnoks that haven't seen modern releases?"

if so, that really takes the excitement out of the QnA's for me - because I love the hint dropping about figure releases.   ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
GI Joe Q&A
« Reply #7 on: March 4, 2010, 11:28 AM »
Post your questions here

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro GI Joe Q&A
« Reply #8 on: March 7, 2010, 03:50 PM »
They guys at Hisstank recently announced that they too have a contest going on with their questions.  Only theirs is corporately sponsored (the PR firm that does the QnA's)...

So by all means get your questions asked over there.  I am going to put one in over there too...if I win, I'll give the prize away over here!

If you guys do end up asking a Question here...we will still do our contest.  I have an extra "Blades and Copter" from last years Con Set that I am putting up for this round.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 03:29 AM »
And another round of G.I. Joe Q&A to post!  

-So, can we expect some good, routine head(s)?

-Recondo's barber says what?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:30 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 02:05 PM »
Pretty decent amount of actual answers from H this go around - besides the questions they just flat out didn't respond to.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 10:07 AM »
Here is our 3rd Question, it is admittedly lame, but we had a deadline.

3)  Will the new Snake Eyes with Timber come with Black Timbers or is the Grey version the only one we will see.

Also, I have decided that I am going to "share" the questions we intend to ask with other Joe Site owners in an effort to get more Questions answered.  We will see if we can all play nice in the sandbox, there is no reason why we can't 5 times a year at least.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Ok, I have a few questions... I admit I don't know too much about the Joe hobby, though I do have quite a few of the ROC figures and did have a decent sized 25th collection.  Also back in the 80s I was bonkers of this stuff.

Now, my kid is really getting into it, and he's not even 3 yet - so fun seeing him loving the Joe stuff.  So, I'm finding more reason than ever to get back into this line.

These questions may be lame, but if there's anything here you want to tweak a bit perhaps one could be sent in.  Some of these may already have been addressed or be common knowledge on Hasbro's stance, so please bear with me.

1)  Are there any plans to bring back the vehicles in the 25th line?  The Stinger sure looks awesome but the secondary market has already priced these out of what I want to pay for something that's going to be played with by my son.  On that token, any plans to bring back the ASP? 

2)  Perhaps this is a longshot, but is there any chance at all that the Terror Drome could be released again? 

3)  What does the future hold for the Resolute line after the upcoming exclusive 7-packs?  For that matter, how about getting the basic blue Cobra Trooper back into the mix somehow?  Even an online exclusive of several of those (perhaps with Snake Eyes who takes a number of them out) could be a good way to make these available again.

4)  Why were there so many characters from the ROC movie that never saw action figures?  For example, a young Snake Eyes vs. Storm Shadow set could have been a huge hit.  It would have also been cool to get "pre-evil" Rex Lewis from his days in the military, or even Dr. Mindbender!  Or the poor, unwitting husband of the Baroness... even the President (with alternate Zartan head)... any chance you'll look at bringing these out at some point?

5)  How about bringing out a ROC military humvee?  There were several at the beginning of the movie when Duke and Ripcord were ambushed.  You could include Ripcord with this, perhaps using the desert gear Duke as the base.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Hasbro seems to frown upon the return of 25th or ARAH type questions - at least from how I've read their answers as they're trying to "rebuild" the brand or whatever, but that's their bread and butter (from my wallet at least)  First time I ever went 1 carded/1 loose with any line.  ROC was a huge letdown for the most part, and POC has a few things I may be interested in, but I'd dig a full on reboot picking up where the 25th stuff left off.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Hasbro seems to frown upon the return of 25th or ARAH type questions - at least from how I've read their answers as they're trying to "rebuild" the brand or whatever, but that's their bread and butter (from my wallet at least)  First time I ever went 1 carded/1 loose with any line.  ROC was a huge letdown for the most part, and POC has a few things I may be interested in, but I'd dig a full on reboot picking up where the 25th stuff left off.

Yeah, I feel much the same way.  The 25th line was by far the most I was interested in (and collected) Joes since the ARAH line of the 80s.  There are some things from the POC that look kind of neat that I may pick up, but unless we see a return of that 25th type line, I don't know how much I'll be getting from here on out.  I guess I understand their viewpoint of trying to make a line for this generation of kids, but I think from the lack of success of the movie line (which is usually, along with cartoon lines, the bread and butter for kids) - and the fact that the 25th line had to be their most successful in a long time, should show them that maybe that is the way to continue things.