Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Wave 1  (Read 19796 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Classics Wave 1
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2008, 02:44 PM »
Heh.  Yeah, maybe, maybe not.  The only retailer in Canada carrying DC Classics IS Walmart.  $12.95 up here and the second they put them out, they're gone.  So US Walmarts might not be ordering them, but Canadian Walmarts are for now.  Yeah, I know, that's little help to you guys, but I was shocked to see them up here at all. 

These are all over Target, so let me know if you need some yankee help in tracking these down ya Maple Leafer.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2008, 02:29 PM »
I cant seem to find Two-Face or Batgirl anywhere. No stores have any DC super heroes by me. I pretty much have come to accept that if i want Supergirl and Mr. Freeze i have to resort to ebay but Two-Face and Batgirl may still be in some stores. Is anyone still seeing these anywhere?

I saw the Classics in a store for the first time, the BAF parts were stolen out of the packages.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2008, 03:10 PM »
I know its still early on in the shipment of these things, but I'm curious if Mattel's distribution problems will have improved with this line at all.  Aside from a couple of Black/Grey Batmen from the last wave of DCSH (at TRU), I don't think there is a single DC figure in town here either.  I did see the initial wave of DCSH once at Target, and haven't really seen any since then.  The DC stuff has always been "blink and you miss them" around here for the most part (aside from pegwarming Supes/Bizarro), so it will be interesting to see if the distribution issues will improve or not.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2008, 06:53 PM »
Well, I've gone and done it.  I've had a $100 GC to TRU in my pocket since Christmas and since my local TRU hasn't stock anything of interest since then, I haven't spent it yet.  Made a trip after work with the boy to kill time before heading home and they actually had all of wave 1 (one of each plus the extra Batmen).  My apprehension of buying them lasted about 2 seconds.  I figured what the hell, I'm not going to use the GC on anything else soon.

I'm going to try and be selective with this line but I really like the BAFs shown so far (especially Grundy), so I'll get most of wave 2 and 3 (I'll try to track down the piece from the Electric Supes separately but I have a feeling most people will be buying that figure just for Grodd's part).

I guess the next question to ask is what older figures should I try to track down?  Supes I'm not too worried about, you know he's coming again.  Two-face (who I've never even seen), Clayface (pissed that I passed on him multiple times) and Catwoman (ditto) are probably tops for me as I'm more of a Batman fan than a Superman fan (although I wouldn't mind having the blue Supergirl or Steel).

This might not be a bad decision though.  Marvel stuff isn't looking all that hot this year and I got most of what I wanted from them character wise, I could just switch to a new universe.

(Yeah, that'll be what I keep telling myself).  ::)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2008, 09:12 PM »
That really sounds like me. I have not been feeling the ML and really enjoy the DC Classics. Since i decided to start collecting these i have been going pretty much crazy backtracking. Here is an awesome poster like checklist that someone over at Fwoosh made.

DC Checklist

I am only going for the ones i like and the list helps with that. Good luck!
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2008, 11:07 PM »
That really sounds like me. I have not been feeling the ML and really enjoy the DC Classics. Since i decided to start collecting these i have been going pretty much crazy backtracking. Here is an awesome poster like checklist that someone over at Fwoosh made.

DC Checklist

I am only going for the ones i like and the list helps with that. Good luck!

That's pretty cool - thanks for sharing.  I can't read the fine print - has the wave with batgirl come and gone already?  I saw a few catwoman figs months ago, but never saw any bat chicks.

I'll throw this out to the DC fans, since I'm more of a Marvel guy myself...is Nightwing really that popular of a character?  I scanned at least three versions of him just glancing at the poster, but not a single Robin.  What gives?  I guess I've always thought of him as more of a bit character since he went solo.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2008, 11:21 PM »
Which Batgirl: Cassandra Cain or Barbara Gordon?  I guess it doesn't really matter, they've both been out already.  The black version (Cane) was out exactly the same time as the Two Face/Catwoman wave apparently.  The classic look (Gordon) was out in the two packs only as far as I recall.  It seems to be the identical sculpt to Unmasked series that came out of the Direct line a while back. 

That poster is depressing to see how much never came here.  TRU was the only retailer and they got hosed with an absolutely awful case assortment that just never stopped coming.  It was always Superman/Bizzarro/Supergirl.  Always.  A smattering of the early Bat figure came, plus one box of wave 3 got put out (I scored the Azrael) but never saw the Batgirl in the box as pictured in that assortment (which did have a Robin in it btw).
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2008, 09:09 AM »
Well, I've gone and done it.  I've had a $100 GC to TRU in my pocket since Christmas and since my local TRU hasn't stock anything of interest since then, I haven't spent it yet.  Made a trip after work with the boy to kill time before heading home and they actually had all of wave 1 (one of each plus the extra Batmen).  My apprehension of buying them lasted about 2 seconds.  I figured what the hell, I'm not going to use the GC on anything else soon.

I'm going to try and be selective with this line but I really like the BAFs shown so far (especially Grundy), so I'll get most of wave 2 and 3 (I'll try to track down the piece from the Electric Supes separately but I have a feeling most people will be buying that figure just for Grodd's part).

I guess the next question to ask is what older figures should I try to track down?  Supes I'm not too worried about, you know he's coming again.  Two-face (who I've never even seen), Clayface (pissed that I passed on him multiple times) and Catwoman (ditto) are probably tops for me as I'm more of a Batman fan than a Superman fan (although I wouldn't mind having the blue Supergirl or Steel).

This might not be a bad decision though.  Marvel stuff isn't looking all that hot this year and I got most of what I wanted from them character wise, I could just switch to a new universe.

(Yeah, that'll be what I keep telling myself).  ::)

Welcome aboard Mikey.  Its nice to see there's another sucker convert among us.  I'm in the same boat as you, as I originally was just going to get the Batman-related figures, then the Justice Leaguers, and now I feel like I want to get more of them.  Like you, I'd like to get the Wave 2 (Grodd) and 3 (Grundy) BAFs, so I may end up buying a couple figures I normally wouldn't have just to do that.  Also, like you mentioned, I'm pretty happy with the Marvel lineup we have at this point, so hopefully the "funds" can just be switched over to DCUC.  I'm interested to see what Toy Fair will show us is coming from the Marvel line(s), so then I'll have a little better idea.  Also, although I really like them both, I really feel like I should choose between the DCUC and GI Joe 25th lines.  Budget and space is at a premium, and I really should just do one or the other.  Like I've said before, there's just too much good stuff out these days.  At least Joe is somewhat affordable, and after a few more figures/characters I could probably be happy with what I have (maybe...hopefully).  We'll see.

I have to say, the Cassandra Cain Batgirl is the one figure I don't think I've ever seen at retail.  Its ok I guess, since I was more interested in the Barbara Gordon version from the two packs, which came - and went - and then came back again (I grabbed it on clearance for like $7 or something).  It seems like there are a few people wanting to backtrack with the DCSH line now, so hopefully it won't be too much trouble for them.  Around here, they are all but dried up, aside from a couple Batmen at TRU from the last wave I believe.  There were really some nice figures in DCSH, including ones mentioned already (Clayface, Catwoman), and a few others (Luthor, Darkseid, Mongul).

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Which Batgirl: Cassandra Cain or Barbara Gordon?  I guess it doesn't really matter, they've both been out already.  The black version (Cane) was out exactly the same time as the Two Face/Catwoman wave apparently.  The classic look (Gordon) was out in the two packs only as far as I recall.  It seems to be the identical sculpt to Unmasked series that came out of the Direct line a while back. 

That poster is depressing to see how much never came here.  TRU was the only retailer and they got hosed with an absolutely awful case assortment that just never stopped coming.  It was always Superman/Bizzarro/Supergirl.  Always.  A smattering of the early Bat figure came, plus one box of wave 3 got put out (I scored the Azrael) but never saw the Batgirl in the box as pictured in that assortment (which did have a Robin in it btw).

I was referring to CC - forgot about the 2pack version.  I wonder if DC has any plans to rerelease these?  Seems odd to go thru the design and molding for a figure that practically no one was able to find. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Seems odd to go thru the design and molding for a figure that practically no one was able to find. 

It does indeed, but looking at Mattel's history with their MOTU line (as well as the original Batman line), a lot of their distribution decisions don't make a lot of sense.  I really hope that these problems are remedied with the DCUC line though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 4, 2008, 04:20 PM »
Our local Target restocked with Wave 1 over the weekend, and I ended up picking up Red Tornado.  I'm starting to lean towards just picking up Etrigan eventually too, since that's the only one I'm missing to build Metamorpho.