Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Wave 2  (Read 8876 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #30 on: May 4, 2008, 02:27 PM »
If anyone comes across the maskless Bale Batman from the movie masters line and are not interested please keep me in mind. I will gladly take it off your hands.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #31 on: May 7, 2008, 04:31 PM »
Bad news for drewlam and I.  Walmarts restocked with Wave 1 yet again.  Sales had slowed considerably of late and I think this might not bode well for us Canadians going forward as these will sit for a while.  I know Drew picked them up at the flea market already and Scott helped me out, so we're both fine.  But I'm wondering about the future waves.  It seems like Mattel has a really poor handle on distribution up here and we saw that with the previous Superman/Batman line.  Getting the same wave of Superman/Bizarro/Supergirl over and over and over again killed it at TRU, I'm guessing getting wave 1 of DSCH over and over and over again will kill this line at Walmarts up here.   :-\  On top of that, because it has been available at major retailers, the comic shops locally haven't touched the line and reasonably so.

I'm thinking I might as well put my order in for wave 3 with Scott right now, because it'll be months if it shows up here, if at all.  The only duplicate figure I already own a version of that I'm happy with is the Robin figure.  Well, I have a really nice Alex Ross Green Lantern as well, but I'm not opposed to a second GL in my collection.  Consistency of scale is such a huge thing and it seems DCSH has got a handle on that, so good for them. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #32 on: May 8, 2008, 03:49 PM »
Bad news for drewlam and I.  Walmarts restocked with Wave 1 yet again.  Sales had slowed considerably of late and I think this might not bode well for us Canadians going forward as these will sit for a while.  I know Drew picked them up at the flea market already and Scott helped me out, so we're both fine.  But I'm wondering about the future waves.  It seems like Mattel has a really poor handle on distribution up here and we saw that with the previous Superman/Batman line.  Getting the same wave of Superman/Bizarro/Supergirl over and over and over again killed it at TRU, I'm guessing getting wave 1 of DSCH over and over and over again will kill this line at Walmarts up here.   :-\  On top of that, because it has been available at major retailers, the comic shops locally haven't touched the line and reasonably so.

I'm thinking I might as well put my order in for wave 3 with Scott right now, because it'll be months if it shows up here, if at all.  The only duplicate figure I already own a version of that I'm happy with is the Robin figure.  Well, I have a really nice Alex Ross Green Lantern as well, but I'm not opposed to a second GL in my collection.  Consistency of scale is such a huge thing and it seems DCSH has got a handle on that, so good for them. 

I share you're concerns. My Wal-Mart recently picked up wave 1 for the third time. The first two times it sold quite well, but this time it is moving considerably slower. I'm going to be extremely disappointed if Mattel Canada screws this up due to poor distribution, because initially these figures were selling really well. If they just kept up with proper distribution they'd have a real winner on thier hands.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2008, 10:44 PM by Greedo, The Green Menace »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 04:18 PM »
Here's an odd question for those of you residing in the US. 

Do you see a lag in toy releases generelly between end of March and end of June? 

I'm wondering if that's driving the slow release of DCUC2 down there and up here.  I know in Canada a couple of retailers I basically write-off and don't even really visit when doing a toy run between March and July because they don't really carry much in the way of "indoor toys" during this time.  Even TRU and Walmart, consistent sources, don't seem to restock much at all. 

Now I'm not counting the movie based toys in general because those always seem to make it out regardless, but the more traditional action figure lines like Star Wars (I know the SW break is 'planned' this time), Marvel Legends or now DCUC.  I'm wondering if we're seeing a seasonal lag or whether the action figure stuff is generally in decline.  I'm quite surprised to see how poor the distribution of DCUC is in the US as well.  Or is this just the usual Mattel antics with a good (or bad) line and crappy distribution overall. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Brent, I usually see the slow down earlier in the year.  Makes sense - it's after the holiday shopping blitz and stores clean house and start their inventory for the new year.  New stuff usually starts to show up consistently late March / early April.  Can't say that the summer months are a down time, but I honestly have never really thought about it.  Although I am seeing some pretty consistent restocks on most of the stuff I collect - I just keep missing the items I want and get stuck looking at stuff I already have.  Case in point, my local TRU has restocked DCUC 2 at least three times now that I've seen and I still have yet to see an Aquaman there (classic or modern).  In fact, I've only seen Aquaman once, at the local CD/DVD/Comic/Toys/Pop Culture Crap store.  And I would have gladly paid the $13 for it if it wasn't the modern version.  Eventually I'll find that bastard and my Grodd won't be armless anymore and Black Manta will actually have someone to fight instead of standing around like a dumbass.

I just pre-ordered a case of wave 3.  I don't feel like taking any chances on me missing out on the greatest wave of action figures ever.  That means I'll have an extra figure and if early case assortments are correct, that'll be Green Lantern.  Would anyone be interested in that extra figure? (hint to our resident GL fan  :-*)

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 02:51 PM »
I just pre-ordered a case of wave 3.  I don't feel like taking any chances on me missing out on the greatest wave of action figures ever.  That means I'll have an extra figure and if early case assortments are correct, that'll be Green Lantern.  Would anyone be interested in that extra figure? (hint to our resident GL fan  )

I did the same.  Mattel is spotty at best around here, and I didn't want to miss out on this wave.  I'm a fan of Nightwing (and all the Batman universe, of course), so I'm happy we're getting a nice new Nightwing and Robin in this wave - not to mention the amazing Hal Lantern (and Sinestro/Deathstroke).  Just a dandy of a wave overall.  I've ended up (once this ships) buying the first three waves in their entirety, so I have to decide what to do from here on out.  It might be time to start picking and choosing, and go back to my original plan of all Batman-Universe figs, the JLA, and maybe a main adversary for each of them (like Lantern/Sinestro, Flash/Cap Cold, Wonder Woman/Cheetah, etc.)  Of course, I sort of want to get some of the other Titans should they be released.  Aaah, where to draw the line?  Oh well, at least there aren't quite as many Legends to go after anymore since the line has been explored fairly in-depth already.