Author Topic: DC Universe Classics Wave 4  (Read 13735 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #15 on: March 7, 2008, 11:12 AM »
(Jeff, have you picked up that GL figure yet?):

No. I have an earlier version of DCD John Stewart in his original GL uniform that fits the look of my GL shelf a little better. 

I've been skipping most of those Ross figures becaues they are a bit bigger in scale than the rest of the DCD stuff...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 09:01 AM »
Lightray

I also got my series 2 set, Aquaman is my favorite of the wave, and Black Manta turned out better than i thought. I think it looks better then from the photos. My only complaint is the blue paint wash on H.Q.'s face. I think i woul dhave preferred if it was more white.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:03 AM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 10:25 AM »
Thanks for posting that evenflow.  I don't have a real attachment to Lightray (although the 4th World/New Gods stuff is pretty cool), but the figure does look really nice.  I remember in one of the "Ask Cornboy" threads at the Fwoosh, someone asked when we would see more New God figures, and he said that he "plead the fifth" - making me think its possible this figure could be part of Wave 5.  I'm really looking forward to NYCC this weekend to see what the future holds for this line.  Personally, I'm hoping for the Flash, Green Arrow, and Zatanna to be released this year :).

On the Series 2 note, I did see one Electric Blue Superman at TRU last weekend, but nothing else anywhere else.  They also had on Orion, and our local Target has had one Penguin figure for the past few weeks.  Hopefully they'll start hitting soon.  I passed on the Supes (just want it for the Grodd BAF part), and currently have the wave on order with BBTS - but I was hoping to find them at retail first, we'll see.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 10:47 AM »
I'm starting to get nervous with this line.  When TRU was carrying the Mattel Superman/Batman lines, they perpetually got the same case over and over and over again.  All we ever saw was Superman, Bizarro and Supergirl.  One blink of another wave and then right back to the same wave again. 

The DCSH stuff has sold really well at Walmart and they keep selling through it, though it's really slowed down of late.  I'm wondering if we won't see the same trend up here with only wave 1 ever showing up.  Only having one retailer carrying this line right now is frustrating, though I can't blame TRU considering how they got screwed on the Mattel stuff and how poorly Marvel Legends are selling right now. 

No interest in new figures/characters really, since I'm no longer up on the characters.  I guess I can just hope the BAF figs become less cool with time.  I know I'm in through wave 3 here.  I understand they will want to produce them, I just won't want them. 

I'm hoping for a Flash figure as well.  I still don't have one I've been satisfied with so if they can put out a really nice Flash figure in this line, I'd be thrilled.  I still have lots of other DC stuff, mostly from Alex Ross lines (which I probably wouldn't have bought had I known this stuff would show up, but whatever), so I'm less keen on some stuff others would be clamoring for.  I do think they could do a Green Arrow in this line that could kick the crap out of the Ross version. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 02:53 PM »
AFI has a final pre-NYCC Q and A with Mattel, and they mention that they will be showing the next two waves of DCUC, as well as the first wave of Infinite Heroes (3 3/4" line), the first wave of JLU figures, and the SDCC exclusives.  I'm looking forward to seeing what is up next.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 03:04 PM »
I'll join you guys in hoping for a nice GA and/or Flash in the upcoming waves.  Those are two that I'd grab for my GL shelf for sure...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Brent,

I'm in the same boat as you with the Alex Ross line.  The only reason I picked that line up was to get a fairly cohesive DC set of figures without mixing and matching from different lines.  With this line, I kind of wish I hadn't picked up the Ross ones.  That said, most of the Ross figures are quite nice.

I also have some aprehension about seeing much of this line at retail (which is why I picked up wave 2 where I did).  That said, they've sold well enough that I think Walmart will carry at least the first few waves.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 02:56 PM »
Yeah there's a lot of great sculpts in the Ross line, no doubt about it.  And the Ross subline was pretty consistent with sculpt sizing too.  It's just the mixing of all the different DC stuff, moreso because I bought DC stuff from non-Ross lines as well, that it's all over the place  :-\  I absolutely love the Superman I have from the Ross line - the retailer exclusive "angry" version of the Series 1 Superman.  I've seen nothing like it. 

Looks like I'm in the same boat as you too Drew, Scott here is going to hook me up with everything except Aquaman.  Like you, I'm concerned about finding them locally so when Scott offered, I jumped.  Now it's just Aquaman and an arm I'm in need of before waiting for the Grundy wave. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 11:50 AM »
AFI has another DCUC preview up at their site, and this time its Amazo.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 03:07 PM »
I'm not crazy about Amazo.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 03:32 PM »
I think he looks fine but I'm indifferent to him as a character.  I'll probably still pick him up.  Looks to be a repaint of the electric Supermen (based on the hole in the back) and that head could be used for Black Adam eventually (whom I can't wait for).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 03:39 PM »
Yeah, I think the figure looks pretty nice too - but I don't have all that much of an attachment to the character either.  To be honest, my first big exposure to Amazo was in the JLU cartoon, where he looks completely different from this.  I've since started reading more DC, and have seen him appear a couple of times (also, a bit different from this), and its cool that they are making him (wonder if he'll be a BAF - or Collect and Connect I guess its called with DCUC).

I think seeing what is next with this line is what I'm looking forward to the most from the NYCC news this weekend.  Unless Hasbro really turns it around with Legends, I'm slowing way down on those - and if I can afford it, I think that this will be my "secondary" line (other than Star Wars - and for the moment, Indy).  So far, everything has looked pretty great for the most part.  Like I said, I'm really holding out hope for Flash and Green Arrow to show up this year (probably only one or the other I'm guessing, if either).  It seems like each wave has a "big gun", and with WW anchoring Wave 4, I'm wondering who will be in the final wave of the year.  We've had Batman and Superman already, Aquaman in Wave 2, GL in Wave 3 (as well as Robin/Nightwing - man that's a nice wave), WW in 4, so that narrows down the list a bit.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 04:39 PM »
Isn't that just Sandman without a shirt? 

Two figures in a row I have no interest in, not good.  Hoping for an uninteresting BAF for that wave. 

I'm not sure if Wonder Woman will end up being the 'anchor' or not.  The old sayings about female figures, yada, yada.  I think she's a major character for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them slip someone else in there.  I don't think it would be a Flash, but maybe a lesser lead character like Green Arrow would be a good fit. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 05:39 PM »
This line is sucking wind everywhere I go.  Serious heating up the pegs even more than the Marvel Legends figs.  :(
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 07:43 AM »
This line is sucking wind everywhere I go.  Serious heating up the pegs even more than the Marvel Legends figs.  :(

Not around here.  My local TRU has just two Demons on the pegs and this store got at least four cases of wave 1 that I saw and 1 case of wave 2.  Target's pegs have been bare for about a month.  Contrast that to the Brood wave, which just isn't moving at all - even the "decent" figs like Hydra Soldier, Cap and Black Knight.  Granted this probably has to do with the newness of DCUC and the general excitement of the line but Mattel is kicking Hasbro's ass in the 6" superhero action figure category.
Common sense isn't so common