Author Topic: DC Universe Infinite Heroes  (Read 11478 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 02:43 PM »
OK, I'm trying to figure this all out...  If I did my math right, there are over 40 different unique characters shown so far for the Infinite Heroes line... and that's only what we've seen, with more to be revealed after the DC Panel.  This is a LOT of DC goodness! 

I'm excited and hesitent at the same time... sort of like I was with Indy. 

Yes or no?  Buy or stay away?  What's a good DCU fanboy to do?   ???   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 03:04 PM »
OK, I'm trying to figure this all out...  If I did my math right, there are over 40 different unique characters shown so far for the Infinite Heroes line... and that's only what we've seen, with more to be revealed after the DC Panel.  This is a LOT of DC goodness! 

I'm excited and hesitent at the same time... sort of like I was with Indy. 

Yes or no?  Buy or stay away?  What's a good DCU fanboy to do?   ???   :-\

I've always been impressed with your ability to resist so many of the nice lines that are out there these days Jeff.  I'm not near the DCU fanboy as you, and I keep buying in to these lines they put out (DCUC, and now maybe Infinite Heroes).  I should really just buy one or the other, so I'm trying to decide what to do (or severely limit one over the other).  The DCUC line is just so well done so far, but the Infinite Heroes line is appealing due to the price, selection, and the whole space/display issue.

You're right though, that is a lot of DC goodness, and they seem to be really backing this line so far.  Like I mentioned earlier, I picked up the Flash 3 pack yesterday, and I'm not disappointed at all.  Sure, it isn't the detail level as the 6" line, but they are pretty nice (and small) and the right price for someone like me.  I haven't decided where to go from here, but I'm sure I'll try to at least grab my other favorites (Batman, Nightwing, Robin...well, all the Batman stuff will be tempting), and some of the main JLA - but the whole line is kind of tempting.  Especially if they get into vehicles/playsets/etc.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:59 AM by Brian »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 03:19 PM »
If I were a DC Fanboy, I'd be buying in.  Since I'm not, I doubt I'll buy anything in this scale.  As with ML, I'd have completely preferred the 3.75" scale for the figures, but that's not what came out first and I'm not going back over everything again.  Had they started at this scale and ML had done the same, then it's a no brainer.  Mixing scales makes for bad juju. 

If I were Jeff, I'd continue doing what I've always done - buy the GL related stuff and leave it at that.  You're looking at 100 figures easy by the time this thing goes through a couple of years.  Higher prices, more time hunting and another $1000 into toys.  Uh.....

The good side is you've got the boys and they'll likely pick up on the habit or at least on the toys.  So worst case scenario is you're dealing with your own scenario back in the 1980s where you play with everything to the point of wearing it out after you hand these over to the boys.  That's not a bad investment and a nice out if you decide to get rid of them.  They're for the boys honey, no, really.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 03:59 PM »
I was taking a look at this thread at the Fwoosh, and there is a link in there that someone found to look around Mattel's new store.  It looks like there is a DCUC Starfire/Adam Strange two pack that will be available (pics are there).  Unrelated, you can also see pics of the first couple MOTU Classics figures.

That was the excuse when I bought the 3.75" Batman/Joker pack and $10 Tumbler at Target last week...

I actually picked those up as well.  I always wanted a version of the Tumbler (love that vehicle), and never pulled the trigger on the larger one from the Batman Begins line.  I thought ten bucks wasn't too bad to have this version, and then decided later on I needed a Batman to go with it so I grabbed that too.  Again, like Infinite Heroes, a pretty inexpensive toy line so it didn't sting quite as badly.  The wife isn't quite as excited when "non Star Wars" stuff comes into the house though :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 04:04 PM »
If she's even remotely excited when Star Wars stuff comes in the house, she's a total keeper anyway.  The grief associated with the non-SW stuff is worth it then. 

My wife tolerates my habit (and, well, me) so if your wife is finding some of it cool, that's great. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 04:10 PM »
If she's even remotely excited when Star Wars stuff comes in the house, she's a total keeper anyway.  The grief associated with the non-SW stuff is worth it then. 

My wife tolerates my habit (and, well, me) so if your wife is finding some of it cool, that's great. 

No, you're right completely.  My wife tolerates my habit (and me, as well), and has always been great about things.  I can't complain at all.  I know I start to push the limits a little more the more room it starts taking up, and the more lines that start making their way into our house.  I don't necessarily blame her for saying anything, because I guess it is silly at times that I buy more and more "toys".  Things would be easier on me too if I could just stick to Star Wars, but that just hasn't worked out quite that way yet.  I should just listen to her and stay away ;).  There's just too many nice lines out there these days it seems (Star Wars, Indy, Joes, ML, DCUC, and now MOTU Classics).  Yikes.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 04:19 PM by Brian »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 11:54 AM »
Just as a heads up - for anyone interested in the Infinite Heroes line, I noticed that our local Target had these on "temporary price cut" down to $3.99 each.  They aren't on the same level as other action figure lines out there, but not a bad deal for a figure these days.  I've kind of been on the fence with this line, its much more budget/display friendly, but the DCUC line is just so much higher in quality it seems.  I've grabbed the Flash pack, and the Gordon 3 pack, but that's it.  I'll probably get the Bats/Gotham based ones, and we'll see from there.  Some look pretty good (Flash), and some look a little bit iffy with large-ish hands and such.  Anyways, for those interested, you might want to check your Target for the singles for $4 deal.  On an opposite note, the 3 packs seemed to have increased in price at our store to closer to $17 (they were $9.99).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 01:18 PM by Brian »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 02:38 PM »
On an opposite note, the 3 packs seemed to have increased in price at our store to closer to $17 (they were $9.99).

Yeah, my local Target finally got in some 3-packs and I was considering grabbing the Gordon/SWAT set, but then I saw the new $16.99 price.   ::)

At the $10 price I was considering picking up a few 3-packs (GL, Bat themed sets), but for $17 I'd rather have two new SW figures instead.   :P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 04:36 PM »
At the $10 price I was considering picking up a few 3-packs (GL, Bat themed sets), but for $17 I'd rather have two new SW figures instead.   :P

That's kind of how I feel too.  It seems like all the toys/collectibles are getting more and more expensive these days, and lines like these (that were actually somewhat bargains) are climbing even higher as well.  Its hard to know what you can buy these days and feel like you are getting what you're paying for.  I wonder what the breaking point will be for collectors with these lines - how high can prices get before more and more say "alright, I'm out".  On the subject of this line, like Jeff, I was more tempted when these were $5 and $10, respectively - and it was sort of a cheap "side line".  Heck, getting 3 figures for $10 seemed like a heck of a deal when GH two packs are hitting $8 now, but that's all changing.  I'd be curious to read where many of you think the action figure/collectible market is headed in the next couple years.  It seems like we're seeing more and more collectors get burnt out, prices continue to get higher, more lines seem to be taking up the one or two aisles than ever before - anyways, I guess that's another topic though.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 04:39 PM »
Well, you've got the price part down.  Once they stop stocking the toys and make them impossible to find, you'll officially be Canadians.   :P

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 08:46 PM »
I STILL STILL STILL think the price increases on this stuff is outrageous.  I have no idea who manages pricing for these things, but they obviously have no idea what they're doing.  I help analyze pricing impact for CPG products and you would NEVER see food products take a 50% increase or more.  Do they honestly think that things like raising Marvel Legends from $10 to $15 won't have a big impact on sales!?  Sure, you'll still get some diehards, but not enough to support a line from what I've seen.  They'd be far better off raising the price something lower like 5-10% each year or growing by a buck with ever other wave.  Gradual pricing is expected, but these massive jumps in price just make you instantly feel like you're getting screwed. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 08:54 PM »
I've been meaning to buy the 3-packs to shoot for our Toy Database but never jumped on them.  After getting the standard figures i was ready to grab them and was appalled to see the outrageous price increase.  ****....they weren't even selling at $9.99, do they really think they'll fly off the shelves at $16.99?

Guess I'll hope for a decrease or get them for $11.99 at TRU.

John

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: DC Universe Infinite Heroes
« Reply #27 on: July 5, 2010, 10:19 PM »
When this line hit, I hated it.  I was so disappointed at the quality.  Bad sculpts and bad articulation = easy pass for me.  But now...   :-\

In the midst of this Star Wars drought, I picked up the newest DCIH Batman figure.  Oh, you sweet, sweet, SA Batman - ball-joint shoulders, ball-joint elbows, cut wrists, ball-joint hips, cut-thighs, ball-joint knees, ball-joint ankles, ball-joint head.

Oh man.  If the newest figures they are cranking out are all as nice as Batman, I think I'm IN for the JLA "big 7" at the least.  I've got Batman and I'm totally eyeing the 2010 SDCC 5-Pack of SA JLAers - Aquaman, Barry, Hal, WW, and Martian Manhunter... with big-ass Starro.   :o  If I grab that, I'd just need to grab an SA Superman and I could move on to the B-level JLAers.   :-X

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Infinite Heroes
« Reply #28 on: July 6, 2010, 12:25 PM »
I haven't paid much attention to this line for awhile now, because as you mentioned Jeff, the quality has just been so sub-par (at least on the earlier stuff).  I may have to check the stores for this new Batman you're talking about though.  I have one of the earlier ones, but it sounds like this one may be different.  It sort of bugs me that these are a fair amount shorter than other lines (like Marvel Universe, Star Wars, or Joes), but some of them are kind of neat.  I picked up a handful of them on various clearances over the past couple years, and I think I have Batman, Nightwing, Green Lantern, Superman, Flash, Green Arrow, and the Joker from the previous waves.  I agree, that Starro pack does look cool.

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
DC Universe '75 Years of Super Power' line in Australia
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Found these today at Big W and I assume a sub-line (maybe a new line altogether) ??? from the DC Infinities line.

Guy Gardner:

Deathstroke:

Black Adam:

Mr Terrific:

I bought the Batman (only one of him there too)

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope