Author Topic: GI Joe Convention  (Read 13653 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: GI Joe Convention
« Reply #30 on: May 3, 2010, 04:40 PM »
Lowlight is all kinds of ass kicking goodness.  I cannot fathom them doing a loose .50 cal round for the Barret though.  I mean, that's one dinky assed accessory.  Kudos if they do though, as I'm all about picking that figure up right now and I don't even collect GI Joe.

Honestly I'm all about picking up a lot of that stuff.   :-\  I even want that Snake Eyes really bad, as I don't own a SE for my TV stand, and now that's looking like the ultimate.

Lowlight though, wow...  what a great figure.

I just hope these come with all the accessories Hasbro's implied they would.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 3, 2010, 04:49 PM »
Really diggin a lot of the new stuff.  Thanks for all the great pics/coverage Eric!  Looks like I'm back on board - for the most part.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 3, 2010, 07:14 PM »
I was pretty surprised about that .50 cal round also, Jesse, but they talked about it in the Q&A and it was on display if you check the accessory photo that I posted.

Other than Duke with his new backpack weapon, I don't think I saw a new figure that I won't buy.  Hasbro took their game up.  One thing they mentioned is that Joe always had top articulation and they felt they'd fallen behind so they stepped it up.  I think some of the articulation that the SW team manged to get on the new CW Clones maybe sparked a rivalry and the Joe team wanted to get back on top.

I also think that with Maurader John on the scene the team has stepped up their game also.  I mean, that .20mm gun that the Jungle Viper is coming with?  I've never even heard of it before so big props to the Hasbro team for discovering that piece of weaponry. 

I have most of my update about the Hassenfeld presentation and the Hasbro tour written up and I'll get it posted when I get home tomorrow.  I have some cool photos of original artwork, protos and turnarounds of new product, some more carded photos (that other show of Snow Job for example) and some info on the cancelled product that I just have to verify.  I also have some shots of the Club exclusive AT figs and some excellent Joe Customs figures that blew me away.  Oh, and all the diorama stuff as well.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: May 3, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Oh I believe you E, totally...  I just cannot fathom them including it.  I want that figure so much though now.  I may buy 2 even because of the customizing parts it comes with.  That's just simply one of the most badass action figures I've ever seen, period.

I want a lot of those figures really...  I'm sure I'll nab some GIJ's this year, unfortunately.   :'(  I won't be going overboard, but I'll be getting some.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 5, 2010, 03:52 AM »
Okay, another large update finally posted.  Info and pictures of the Hasbro Tour from Friday.  I also cleaned up some stuff and uploaded some higher res photos and a close-up detail shot of Low-Light's accessories.

I still have to process two videos and the custom figs/diorama photos I took (119 pictures!).  I'll get to that later today (Wed) and have them posted. 

2010 GI Joe Con Coverage

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 6, 2010, 09:32 AM »
I just got the photos posted from the custom diorama showcase.  Also have two videos up, one of the diorama from the Hasbro tour and one from a diorama at the con.  A couple other pictures are up also of some Joe Customs items that I thought were cool.

I have one final update to post tonight and then I'll be done with the Joe coverage.

E...

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 6, 2010, 04:49 PM »
The club store has 2010 Joecon souvenirs in stock.  I bought an orange Flint and the comic for now.  They have about 15 orange Flints, 100 2pks, 125 3pks, 40 henchmen.  I'm so tempted to buy that Henchman.  I'll probably buy the 3pk but not yet.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 6, 2010, 06:49 PM »
I'm kind of shocked they had so many 2 and 3 packs left.  I thought for sure they'd sell out.  I don't recall souvenirs not selling out before but maybe I'm forgetting some.

I'm not surprised there are so few Henchman figures left, though.  I'm debating ordering another one.

E...

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 7, 2010, 11:38 AM »
Just bought one Henchman figure.  My Air Adventurer needed someone to attack his base camp.

They are now down to 4 remaining.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 7, 2010, 01:04 PM »
The Henchman is sold out now.  I thought about another but really I would just like the outfit and accessories more than the whole figure.  I picked him up at the show and think it's a great addition to the set and my collection in general.  I'm not surprised he went quick online, though.  There are a lot of 12" fans looking for new product.

I am surprised on the 3.75" souvenirs though.  Anyone have a thought on why those didn't sell out at the show?  Not popular enough or people didn't like the designs?

E...

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 7, 2010, 04:56 PM »
I'm not sure why the souvenirs didn't sell out.  Maybe the economy, fewer attendees and a lot less speculators buying?  In the long run the 2pk and 3pk may not be worth much more than purchase price.

I'll probably pick up the 3pk before it sells out and skip the 2pk. 

Gaucho is my favorite of those 5 souvenir figures.  Dolphin looks ok but that head is way to small and narrow.  I have no interest in Natalie and I'm guessing that most people don't know her Action Man 1990s history; including me.  Jammer suffers from the small head too but it goes well with Gaucho.  Lifeline is my second favorite souvenir figure.

I didn't order the boxed set because all I really want from that set is Black Major, Interrorgator and a lot of the Red Shadow troops.  These I'm going to buy as I find them cheap and that may take a while.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 7, 2010, 09:18 PM »
They added about 70 orange Flint figures to the store.  They must have found another box of them. 

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 8, 2010, 11:13 PM »
It's funny you mention Natalie, she's the reason I DID buy the 2-pack.  I thought she also looked like a good figure but after I got her opened I kind of changed my mind.  She's too thick, for lack of a better term.  I also thought that both figures in the 2-pack felt kind of flimsly, especially in the elbows.  I was afraid of breaking them.  Dolphin had paint on his arms that caused the swivel to be stuck at first. I was afraid of breaking his arms while I was trying to loosen them up but got it done and they seem okay.

Last year there were a lot of people hyped up for the Red Shadows when the clues were being revealed, and it seemed like, online at least, there was some disappointment when it turned out that they weren't the set.  Maybe the club overestimated that fan reaction from last year when putting together this set and picking the souvenirs for it? 

It seems like the crowds are sort of still split 50/50 on O-ring vs 25th/ME style but maybe these would have done better in the new style instead of O-Ring.  I think I'd have liked the 2-pack a little better had they not been O-Ring. 

E...

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 9, 2010, 02:42 AM »
The club posted a cool Spy Island video.  Now I may have to buy the Spy Island con set someday to go with the Henchman I ordered.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow4hur_IEjw&feature=player_embedded

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 9, 2010, 12:43 PM »
They showed that during the movie fest on Friday night.  It's really well done.

E...