Author Topic: NFL Off-Season 2010  (Read 19634 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Off-Season 2010
« Reply #60 on: August 3, 2010, 06:35 PM »
He'll play... it was right about this time last year that he said he was done.  When he retires, he'll decide during the season, so the entire league can have the farewell Favre tour and everyone can gush over him for 4 months straight.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: August 4, 2010, 01:48 AM »
^  Seconded in every way.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 4, 2010, 02:08 PM »
Favre speaks... will return if healthy.  Has made no decision yet, never sent any texts.

Meanwhile, the Vikings offered him $3 million more to play, with $4 million worth of incentives on top of that.

Cha-ching.

His ankle will be feeling great two days from the end of training camp.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 4, 2010, 03:15 PM »
Favre speaks... will return if healthy.  Has made no decision yet, never sent any texts.

Meanwhile, the Vikings offered him $3 million more to play, with $4 million worth of incentives on top of that.

Cha-ching.

His ankle will be feeling great two days from the end of training camp.

Confirmation from him of no text messages sent tells me he's coming back.  He just doesn't want to go to camp (or probably the preseason).  I'm hoping he plays as I wasn't able to get down last year to see him but am hoping to make it this year for the Lions or Cowboys game. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 4, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Confirmation from him of no text messages sent tells me he's coming back.  He just doesn't want to go to camp (or probably the preseason).  I'm hoping he plays as I wasn't able to get down last year to see him but am hoping to make it this year for the Lions or Cowboys game. 

I wouldn't mind going to the Bears game myself... last time I saw him play was 2002 when the 9-3 Bucs beat the 9-3 Packers 21-7.  Favre threw 3 or 4 picks and was sacked 4 or 5 times.   8)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 4, 2010, 04:22 PM »
I wouldn't mind going to the Bears game myself... last time I saw him play was 2002 when the 9-3 Bucs beat the 9-3 Packers 21-7.  Favre threw 3 or 4 picks and was sacked 4 or 5 times.   8)

No shame in losing to a Super Bowl winner.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 4, 2010, 05:21 PM »

No shame in losing to a Super Bowl winner.   ;)

None at all.  I'm a big Favre fan personally, so you won't hear me trash the guy, and it was excellent to see him play.  And it was nice to see my team get to the top of the mountain once before they went back to sucking.   :P

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 5, 2010, 05:37 PM »
Favre is a drama queen that loves attention.  He'll be pulling this crap for four or five more years probably.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 5, 2010, 06:23 PM »
Nah... if he plays this year, it's the last one.

In the meantime, he can force Peyton to play that much longer by throwing for another 3500 yards and 25 TD's.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2010, 06:35 PM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 6, 2010, 01:30 AM »
Favre is a drama queen that loves attention.  He'll be pulling this crap for four or five more years probably.

Sorry, how is he a dramma queen?  The guy is just keeping quiet down South.  He can't really help it if the media goes nuts every time Shianco's barber's neighbor's cousin overhears two kids saying Favre might retire.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 6, 2010, 12:11 PM »

Sorry, how is he a dramma queen?  The guy is just keeping quiet down South.  He can't really help it if the media goes nuts every time Shianco's barber's neighbor's cousin overhears two kids saying Favre might retire.

How about just coming out and saying whether he'll play or not (and actually live with his decision)?  It's been the same **** every year - I'm playing, I'm retiring, I'm playing, I'm retiring.  Once, I would have no problem with.  After that it becomes a trend and gets old.  I for one don't believe for one minute he's retiring, but what if he actually does?  Don't you think the Vikes would have liked to have known that sooner so they could have made a trade for McNabb or a better QB than Tavaris?  They're a quality team and legit SB contender with an upper tier QB and Tavaris certainly isn't one.  I guess shame on them for not having a plan B, but Brett needs to make a commitment and end all the drama bull****.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 6, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Well, I agree that it would be nice to have an answer.  The Packers got tired of not knowing who was going to lead the team.  He may not need training camp, but the guys around him need him at training camp (or whoever is going to QB).  I have to snicker a little that Viking fans now have to deal with what we put up with for years...can't say we didn't warn you.

That said, Favre is not the one creating drama.  I swear, some of you act like cheated-on wives from Jerry Springer where they go all out attacking the other woman instead of the guy who actually cheated.  Is Favre on a publicity tour saying different things or making any real public statements about his position?  Not that I've seen.  He's hiding out in podunksville saying he's not sure yet.  Period.  If the guy is undecided and the team is okay with him being undecided this long, then so be it.  The only ones stirring up drama are the media.  Oooh, Favre went out to dinner with his wife on Tuesday, that must mean he's playing again this year.  Whoops, he ordered the Fish, that means he's retiring.  What a bunch of BS. 

I also blame Childress and The Vikings top brass for not growing a pair and saying we need to know by __/__/2010 if you are coming back or not.  If you're not, we'll go another direction.  If I was making that kind of dough doing something I really enjoyed and had the luxury of a team that will take me back if and whenever I decide I want to be back, then I'd probably just play it by ear as well, especially if there's any truth to his ankle not healing that well.  Why bother with training camp or preseason nonsense if it's not going to cost me anything?  If my work offered me the same pay to take an extra month off, I think I'd do it.  I think all of us would.

The guy has faults, but get off Favre's back with the drama crap - he's about the least drama seeking NFL star I've ever seen.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 6, 2010, 12:40 PM »
I agree with most of what you've said Justin, but Favre could also just pony up and say yes or no, end of story.  Absolutely though the Vikes could have set a deadline but like Mikey says, with Favre they've got a shot at a superbowl, without him they're 9-7 and maybe make the playoffs. 

The most baffling aspect of the Vikings to me is that they didn't go after a QB in the draft.  Assuming Favre comes back, wouldn't it have been a great thing to have a future hall of famer who can still play schooling your rookie?  Maybe they're thinking that's what Favre is doing with Tavaris or whoever but geez, I'd have grabbed some young college stud for this year as well.

I guess ultimately though the Vikes are playing for now, not the future.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 6, 2010, 12:42 PM »
Don't get me started on the Vikings not drafting a QB.

I'm a Vikings fan and I still want Claussen to be a star just to spite the team I root for.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 6, 2010, 03:27 PM »
How about just coming out and saying whether he'll play or not (and actually live with his decision)?  It's been the same **** every year - I'm playing, I'm retiring, I'm playing, I'm retiring.

If he did what you suggest, he'd have to go to training camp, and he's sure as **** not doing that at his age and given his career.