Author Topic: 25th Anniversary Line  (Read 196747 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2007, 08:48 PM »
The WHALE was a birthday gift one year, and one of my favorite Joe toys...  Big...  It was a centerpiece to play around really.  Loved that thing.

My old dog was my life as a kid and she never chewed toys and things...  Good about that.  The one thing she did chew of mine was cutter, haha.  Of all the things, she chewed a figure I couldn't get a 2nd one of as a child.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2007, 11:26 PM »
I always loved the watercraft in the GI Joe line. One of my friends had the WHALE and the Moray Hydrofoil, while I had the  Devil Fish and its repaint, the Tiger Fish. Seems fair, eh?  ;)

But I had everyone beat in the jet department. I had the Night Raven, and there were many kids on the block quite jealous of that.

Funny how thinking about a Joe vehicle you never had will unleash all those memories.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2007, 01:24 AM »
My brother had the SKystriker...  Outstanding toy. 

I have to say my favorite Joe vehicle of all time was the glider...  I had the cobra one, my brother the JOe one...  Those lasted, oh, a month or so.  We weren't hard on our toys either.  My dog at the time (before my lab) destroyed mine, and my brother's just lasted a while before wear and tear of hitting the ground during playing with it finally damaged it beyond repair.

Easily though, these were some of the best foam plane toys ever and they held Joe figures.  Brilliant!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2007, 01:46 AM »
I still have my Joe glider.  I got it from, I think, my Grandmother but never really played with it because it felt so fragile.

I really liked the VAMP jeeps, I had both Joe versions, and I had the Rattler for my Cobra team.  I had more Joe vehicles than Cobra and even now, looking back, the Cobra stuff didn't match up well in the early days.  Some how I made it through childhood without a HISS tank though. 

Sometimes I wish I was still 12 when my buddies Todd and Mike and I set up huge wars across Todd's yard.  Man, I miss that.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2007, 10:26 AM »
The Killer WHALE was actually the only "big" Joe vehicle I got as a kid.  I got it as a present from my parents, and had a lot of fun playing with that over the years.  I still have it packed away in our basement, although its missing several parts after it went through my brother's childhood as well.  He wasn't nearly as picky about keeping things nice/together as I was when I was a kid :P.  Those really were great toys though, thinking of all the things those vehicles did.  I remember the WHALE having missiles, working fans on the back, depth charges, and the lauching sled on the front.  Plus room for troops, and it floated!  If they ever did reissue this, I'd almost consider picking it up for our (future) kid, just because that was a lot of fun to play with.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2007, 03:35 PM »
Don't forget that it also came with that little motorcycle.
Damn, I loved the WHALE.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2007, 08:00 PM »
The WHALE is one of my favorite GI Joe vehicles too.  They also released through mail order around 1993-1994.  If you keep an eye on ebay you can find a complete one for around $50 once in a while.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2007, 08:17 AM »
$50 doesn't sound too bad.  I went scouring Ebay the other day looking at vehicles and its OHH so tempting to start placing bids on stuff.  Especially on the Raven - never had that thing as a kid and it still looks so purty... I always loved the vehicles almost moreso than the figures themselves.

I so DON'T want to get back into this stuff but temptation seems to be getting the better of me.  :-\

I'm even giving serious thought to dumping my entire Star Wars collection.  :-X
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2007, 02:12 PM »
$50 doesn't sound too bad.  I went scouring Ebay the other day looking at vehicles and its OHH so tempting to start placing bids on stuff.  Especially on the Raven - never had that thing as a kid and it still looks so purty... I always loved the vehicles almost moreso than the figures themselves.

I so DON'T want to get back into this stuff but temptation seems to be getting the better of me.  :-\

Don't do it!!!!  Don't do it!!!!!  But if you are by all means dump on me, what a minute that didn't sound right.  ::)
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2007, 11:39 PM »

I hear you. I gave serious thought to dumping my SW stuff for vintage MOTU. But as I did more and more searching through MOTU stuff, I found that most of the carded figures are in pretty rough shape, or are on European cards. I was glad I didn't start parting with my SW stuff when I figured that out.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2007, 12:28 AM »
I went scouring Ebay the other day looking at vehicles and its OHH so tempting to start placing bids on stuff.

I started scouring Bay in early 2004 for all the 1982-1994 line too.  However, I was hooked after receiving the first few boxes at the front door.  The thing with this line is the army building bug.  I started buying just Cobra troops but that soon led to most 1982-1991 Cobra figures.  Then I started buying a few extra GI Joe figures like Grunt, Zap, Flash and some others in multiples.  After that, I started buying vehicles and sets I already have because all these armies need something to drive or defend.  I have quite a bit of room to display a lot of this stuff which doesn't help me cut back either. 

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2007, 04:23 AM »
A word of caution- I just bought a second Viper Pit pack (can't resist them Vipers) and one of the silver-masked guys had two left arms. So keep an eye out for crap like that. It's the first time this has ever happened to me, so I'm left wondering what to do. I pretty much tore the packaging to shreds opening it, and I really don't want to drive to TRU just to return this for one defective piece, so I'm wondering if those funky JvC BATS arms fit on the older figures like this. It might be a pretty inspired custom of necessity there.

And, this set all had funky o-rings that needed adjusting. I really hope the 25th figures abandon that thing completely.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2007, 09:06 AM »
It looks like the Harcopy of the Master Collector newsletter has pics of a few more figures.

Snake Eyes V2
Cobra Commander with Hood
Storm Shadow V2
and Cobra Officer.

I have not seen the pictures yet.  It is sad...I like 20 miles from where they are mailed out and usually get mine after everybody else....

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2007, 07:52 PM »
Also, the fourth MOTH set will include a repaint of the 1985 Snow Sepent and 1987 Ice Viper.  I'm a big fan of the first set repaint of Night Viper too and I can't wait to army build the arctic set.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2007, 09:30 PM »