Author Topic: G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra  (Read 41411 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra
« on: February 1, 2009, 07:48 AM »
I know freedom isn't free, but is it Tax free? And if not what rate?

On a less serious note....

Saw some pics of movie figs at the tank.... WOW how UN-visually impressive is the ALL BLACK "Terra Viper" is...the only think they can mess up is the silver bracelets..  oh and it is a croc master prepaint...  I won't go so far as to say death of the line, but this plus the combo of Hoth Rebel Troopers could swing my interest back to SW...might even just buy or start my own SW website, since I'll be saving so much $$ on Joes.

I will admit the Shipwreck looks decent for a DDP-esque Shipy
« Last Edit: February 1, 2009, 07:53 AM by Paul »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 1, 2009, 09:33 AM »
Oh man...that stuff's just terrible  What's the possibility that those are just poorly done mock ups?  I mean, are they really trying to get away with molding Croc Master in all black and calling it a Terra Viper (of course, this might explain why Croc Master's been so scarce at retail...).
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 1, 2009, 12:06 PM »
IMO Hasbro should worry more about getting new product to market, not backtracking to help out latecomers

I saw the same revision case at a local Wal-Mart this morning.  This same Wal-Mart has not received any GI Joe figures since the Snow Serpent assortment back in November, and they got two cases of this wave 4 revision. 

Normally I'm all for older figures that people had difficulty finding being cycled back into assortments, but when assortments of all new (or even repainted new) figures are being skipped over entirely by some retailers in favor of more rereleases of more figures that everyone has their fill of, it's ridiculous.

I'm just surprised that Wal-Mart and/or Hasbro didn't try to raise the prices on the basic Joe figures along with this assortment, given that that seems to be the modus operandi out there right now.   ::)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 1, 2009, 02:06 PM »
Mole Pod?  Mole Pod?!  What the **** is a Mole Pod??!!

If the toys are any indication, I'm standing by my comments in the GI Joe movie thread.  I'm dreading this film.

You're right, though, Shipwreck doesn't look so bad.  Still...

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #4 on: February 1, 2009, 03:02 PM »
I dunno. As a 17 year old looking back at the 80's stuff, I'd say that the movie stuff is no more ridiculous than the old stuff. I'd say they had the right idea for the movie... try to make the military stuff crazy and futuristic looking to appeal to kids. If it worked in the 80's, why not now? I'll admit that the first year Joe stuff was kinda neat (what they started remaking in 2007) but a lot is downright weird. Vipers, Iron Grenadiers, and Jet Packs probably would have seemed as stupid to an adult in the 80's as the G.I. Joe Super Suits and Mole pods seem to you guys now. I'd say don't get too worked up over this film unless it kills the Joe line. It could be a good thing like the Clone Wars series for Star Wars.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #5 on: February 1, 2009, 09:28 PM »
This is all ******* gay.  I'm glad the 25th got born and will hopefully live alongside the movie crap or be brought back after, but I'm not buying the majority of the movie crap.  I really don't even like the 3 Resolute figs I have.  I think they're terrible.  Just not my cup of tea.  Hopefully I can return them back to Target.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 06:56 PM »
LOL - wow... I actually "laughed out loud" reading my last post.   ;D  I've grown to accept my Resolute figures since last year, but ya - my opinion on the movie stuff holds true (for the most part)

Anywhoo....I picked up a $25 Pit today which I may end up regretting, but I just couldn't leave it.  Also picked up a $12 Ice Dagger at Kmart - I've been eyeballing this thing since it came out for ROC, but I never wanted to dish out $25 for it.  I dig it.  Can anyone tell me what the VvV version was called?  Was it a Hiss?  I'm a sucker for repaints and would like to pick that one up.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 10:28 AM »
It was called the Ice Sabre back in the VvV days. That's the one I have, and it was only $15 at normal retail then.  :)

Wish I could have found the Bravos on clearance at my local K-Mart. They only had that 4-pack, so I got that for $10. Not bad, I guess.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 05:03 PM »
I think the only thing that I haven't picked up yet, and kinda want from the ROC line is the Wild Bill/Dragonhawk.  But I don't want it enough to pay $25 - so I am holding off.

As for the $25 Pit, I debated getting it if I ever saw it go that low - but I decided I would rather save the space/money for the AT-AT.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 05:53 PM »
It was called the Ice Sabre back in the VvV days. That's the one I have, and it was only $15 at normal retail then.  :)

Wish I could have found the Bravos on clearance at my local K-Mart. They only had that 4-pack, so I got that for $10. Not bad, I guess.

Thanks Ben!  Off to eBay I go.  These were only $15 back in the day?  Nice price.  Only one of the three of my local Kmarts had the clearanced Bravo vehicles, but this is the first week I've been hitting those stores since a few months ago.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 11:05 AM »
Blah...That's an ugly paint scheme + those figures from back in the day?  I'll pass.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 03:58 AM »
Yeah, Frostbite wasn't the best figure from the VvV days. I remember scoring the one w/ Torch and the snowboard, and being amazed at how awful he was.

Though $15 for that vehicle beats the holy hell out of the $25 they want for it now.  :)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 02:51 PM »
Not sure if these are new but I saw two exclusive ROC Joes at TRU today: Arctic Assault Shipwreck and Arctic Assault Carl "Doc" Greer.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Not sure if these are new but I saw two exclusive ROC Joes at TRU today: Arctic Assault Shipwreck and Arctic Assault Carl "Doc" Greer.

They popped up very briefly a few months ago, but noticed my TRU put out a new case of them last week.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 02:12 AM »
Has anyone else seen WM raise the price on basic figs to $6.88? I noticed my local establishment raised their price to that recently, and I was wondering if it's nationwide.

These things didn't sell at $5; I can't imagine sales will be any better now.