Author Topic: G.I. Joe Toys Thread  (Read 104480 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #285 on: July 6, 2009, 08:46 PM »
Saw these today but didn't find Paris Pursuit SE or SS.  Those were the 2 I knew I wanted, wasn't in love with much of the other offerings so I passed for now.

Still not passing on Hoth Rebels or Snowtroopers though, so I'm alive and well.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #286 on: July 6, 2009, 08:57 PM »
I gotta say, I think Duke's outstanding looking.  If I was into the Joe scene I'd be all over these figures in droves.  I think they complement the 25th line nicely, even though the movie's gonna clearly blow.  I'd be army building that desert Duke to give Dusty a little army of Greenshirts for him to Command.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #287 on: July 6, 2009, 09:35 PM »
Went back to the Target where I got Paris Pursuit SE and SS and they'd put out tons more.  I got Hawk, Flash, Impact Armor Duke and Scarlet, and Accellerator Ripcord.  Passed on Arctic Viper, Elite Viper, and an Eel, because I do NOT want to get sucked into army building these....
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #288 on: July 6, 2009, 11:48 PM »
Except for a TRU exclusive Firefly I have exactly ZERO of these from retail...

I told my wife I would not buy any until after my birthday so that she could actually find a figure I did not have at retail.  My daughter (8 yrs old) is very excited about it too, so it will be worth the wait.

I am not army building any cobra troops per se, although I plan to get as many Ice Vipers, Para Vipers and Target Exclusive Eels I can find.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #289 on: July 7, 2009, 12:29 AM »
So wait, the Eel is NOT a wide release figure?  holy ****.  ::)  My brother still doesn't have the regular Eel I don't think, and I figured he'd at least get this one...  Gotta be kidding me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #290 on: July 7, 2009, 12:41 AM »
So wait, the Eel is NOT a wide release figure?  holy ****.  ::)  My brother still doesn't have the regular Eel I don't think, and I figured he'd at least get this one...  Gotta be kidding me.

I wasn't aware the ROC Eel was a Target exclusive.  He looks cool, as does the Elite Viper.  I like the regular 25th Eels better, though.  I believe they're still available directly from HTS (at least they were the last time I looked for anything there, about a week ago).

I don't like any of the Vipers from this movie, what with their Rock Viperish masks.  So those are easy passes.

So far I really like the few I've got.  Accelerator Ripcord is way too huge, and dwarfs the rest, but other than that (and the whole ghey concept of an Accelerator suit), he's alright (though does anyone know whether there's a plain impact armor Ripcord out there?)  Flash is made of a real weird, rubbery plastic, but looks badass.  A nice upgrade to the lame costume for the original.  The Hawk and Scarlett likenesses are really impressive.  I think Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes is my favorite, though.  I prefer his head, without the lips.  They nailed the visor, too.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #291 on: July 7, 2009, 01:43 AM »
After stopping at two Walmart stores today, neither of which had a single new Joe toy, I finally found pretty much everything at Target.  They had three end caps plus the normal aisle pegs/shelf where the 25th stuff had been.  I think they had most of the first 2 waves but I didn't see a Destro figure, an no Hawk, but I did find a Stone figure?

Anyway, I picked up Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow and an Ice Viper.  The Ice Viper is one of the coolest looking action figures I've seen in a while.  I really dig that fig. 

Snake is also very interesting.  I like this interpretation of him.  I would have liked to have seen a holster for either his pistol or sheath for his knife (or both) and a hood for his jacket like the art shows.  But those are minor because it's really a great looking figure over all.

Storm Shadow is also pretty decent but I'm thinking I'd have like to get the other version, with the coat.  The Pursuit version is kind of plain.  But he did have a decent paint job on the head.  I also don't care for the sword sheathes either, they pop off pretty easily.  Snake's stays on a lot better.

Of the other figures on the shelf, Heavy Duty looked pretty good as did Shipwreck.  The Stone figure was nice and the few Cover Girl figures I looked at were well done.  I could see how a sketchy paint app could mess that figure up, though.  Same with Scarlett.  The ones I looked at weren't bad but the eyes were kind of blank looking (for lack of a better term).  But it's a decent sculpt.

I didn't care for the Duke figure but the Breaker and Ripcord figs aren't bad.  Cobra Commander is just odd looking.

Also, the 12" figures and the accelerator suit Duke (1:6-ish scale) are kind of terrible looking.  The outfit on Storm Shadow is nice, but I'm not paying $22 for accessories.

The vehicles all looked pretty well done.  The other stuff that's out is hit and miss, but I'm not really interested in anything other than the 3.75" stuff.  That Night Raven is actually tempting, but I don't think I'm going to drop $40 on it when the Rattler and X-30 were only about $25.

The Alpha vehicles are nice for mostly repaints.  The Bravo vehicles looked good, though.  Cobra Gunship looks really slick and I see that turning up in a lot of SW collections as some type of customized starfighter or something.

I didn't really look at the box for the Pit but I have seen some more photos on-line of this opened and set up and I'm going by my earlier position that it's not something I'd be interested in.  It has some play value but it's not really what I look for in this type of vehicle/playset.

One point of possible good news for the line; while I was in Target a young kid, about 10 or 11, was picking out some figures.  He was also looking at the end cap with the 12" figures and the accelerator suit figure and I heard him say that he thought something there was cool.  I didn't see exactly what he was looking at but nothing on that cap had appealed to me but I think he proved that maybe I'm not the target audience for that stuff.  So, good on Hasbro if the kids like it.

I think that as a toy line, Hasbro has something.  I'm still not sold on the movie but I'm going to try from now on to keep a more open mind on it.  If the movie doesn't suck and take the toy line with it, I think Hasbro has a winner for the summer, maybe a little better even than Tranformers.  The TF movie figs are selling, but not like they did in 2007.  Hasbro was better prepared this time and I think the line is good, but the Joe line might be a little better.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #292 on: July 7, 2009, 12:54 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but Newsarama has an article up discussing the history of GI Joe, tying into the DVD release of "Series 1.1" next week I believe.  Kind of a good (and short) read.

Also, on the topic of the movie toys, I also think - unless the movie does indeed end up being spectacularly craptastic - Hasbro could have a hit on their hands.  I know if I was a kid I'd be quite interested (heck, I am as an adult) and it is a toyline (in 25th Ann. form as well) that lends itself to so much with the 3 3/4" scale.  Just think if kids were really into the movie, how they could keep pumping out Joe figure and vehicle re-releases and repaints that would be "new" to the kiddos.  I know I've just bought SE and SS so far, but I'm trying to keep myself from picking up others as well.  Pretty good stuff.

I'd really like for the movie to be good, or at least "entertainingly good" like some summer blockbusters end up being - and for the toyline to do well too.  It would be nice to see Joe at the forefront again (not just with collectors), like it was in our youth alongside Star Wars, TF, and MOTU.  I suppose the drawback to that is that if the toyline is really successful, we may not see the 25th Ann. stuff anytime soon as they continue on with "movie style" figures/vehicles/etc.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #293 on: July 7, 2009, 02:02 PM »
I agree, Hasbro really might have a hit on their hands as far as the toyline goes. I found some new stuff at Target today, so I picked up Paris Pursuit SE. I passed on the SS since the first one looked better, and I bought that one on Friday. The Ice Vipers were long gone, but I'll find one eventually. I did find a GI Joe 5-pack on clearance, which stunned me since I thought they were long gone weeks ago.

TRU and both local WMs must be waiting for the 10th, since neither have anything out. A bummer, but I've parted with enough cash as it is already. I'd really like to get the TRU exclusive Firefly, though. I hope they have enough of those to go around. And I'd like to get Destro and the Desert Duke. Still haven't seen those dudes yet.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jedi_shadow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #294 on: July 7, 2009, 07:55 PM »

I saw SS v1, HD v1 & v2, Scarlett v1, Neo Viper, Destro, Stone, Desert Duke, Zartan, Breaker, Snow Job & his vehicle, both version of the Gunship and the PIT along with some roleplay, and the playskool style stuff.

What's the 2 versions of the gunship?

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #295 on: July 7, 2009, 09:49 PM »
\
The ROC Eel is general release, the Target exclusive is the 25th Version with a slight Repaint and a "Jet Ski" from the JvC line.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #296 on: July 7, 2009, 09:51 PM »
I'd really like to get the TRU exclusive Firefly, though.

Do you have a link to a photo of the Firefly?  I didn't know TRU was getting an exclusive but you're the second person that has mentioned it.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Alyosha

• Youngling
  • Nemesis Creator
    • View Profile
    • BrokenArrowToys.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #297 on: July 7, 2009, 10:09 PM »
I've had these three carded ROC guys for about 10 days or so, and just now gotten the time to do a quick photo reviewfor you guys who are anxious to get a better look at them.  As with the last batch, special thanks to Jedidefender.com for picking up the tab on these.

Up first is a figure that almost everyone is anxious for:  PIT Commando.  This guy comes with more gear than any other figure I've ever seen, and what's more it's all new tooling.  There's a SOCOM, MP7, H7K G-36, an auto-shotgun, FLAK vest, Heavy Armor, huge backpack, Steel Brigade helmet, SWAT style helmet & shield, gasmask (from Shockblast) and a boonie hat with NOD gear (whew, that's a lot!).  Add that to the excellent Dusty figure mold, and this guy is pure win.

Next is the EELS.  The base figure is a complete bash, using the head from the upcoming Viper Commando, airtank from Croc Master, Torpedo body, along with a new webgear and beefy harpoon rifle.  His giant acc is actually even alright, in that it's an underwater sled.  IMHO, only the color palette needs to be tweaked and this figure would be 100% awesome-sauce.  As it is, it's pretty cool though.

Last for the ROC figures, but most certainly not least is the mystery video game character:  Agent Helix.  She is mostly new tooling, but uses the legs of the Resolute Scarlett that has yet to show up at retail.  She is very posable, and come with a bevy of great weapons:  G-11 prototype rifle (the actual rifle fired caseless ammo so fast, that the first three rounds would strike a moderately ranged target before the muzzle could even rise), blunt tip combat blade, and two assault pistols with counter-weights and sights. 

The spring loaded weapon is full of radar screen ridiculousness, but you can easily set that aside.  Altogether a very welcome addition to the Joe mythos.

As you are aware (if you've been following my Resolute figure reviews), then you know I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of all the ones that were available where possible.  This Wild Bill is clearly based on the Resolute designs, but it appears he'll be pulling double duty piloting a new helicopter for the ROC movie line.  Cool by me, and the new parts are a welcome visual change from the previous figures (new baggy lower legs, new hat).  I'm pretty pleased with it, and am looking forward to putting together another group pic when Destro arrives.

That's all for the moment, look for more reviews from yours truly soon.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #298 on: July 8, 2009, 12:41 AM »
I'd really like to get the TRU exclusive Firefly, though.

Do you have a link to a photo of the Firefly?  I didn't know TRU was getting an exclusive but you're the second person that has mentioned it.

E...

Linky!

I like that he has all that gear, plus I'm kind of a Firefly nut.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jedi_shadow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #299 on: July 8, 2009, 01:29 AM »
I got the firefly exclusive today and passed on barbeque.