Author Topic: G.I. Joe Toys Thread  (Read 103779 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #855 on: March 21, 2010, 10:21 PM »
I'm not sure if it's economy or just bad ideas on Hasbro's part that so many of their lines are falling apart.  With all the cancellations between Star Wars and GI Joe, it's not looking like a good 2010.

What's up with the Transformer line?  Is that going through as much of a hard time as SW and Joe?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 21, 2010, 11:50 PM »
That's a good question, I think it's a combination of all of the above.

For both brands, I think the economy hurts, and a lot of Hasbro's choice of figures for things like the comic packs for Star Wars especially.  There's some questionable figures packed into many of those for sure.  A lot of their exclusives are in a similar boat.

Regarding GI JOE, I think a lot of the problem might be something Hasbro admitted - their figures were priced too high.  They also seemed to overproduce the first couple of waves of ROC figures, which is something one would think a company like them would figure out.  They should have the foresight to understand that if the first couple of waves of figures is overproduced, it's going to cause later waves to have problems shipping (I think that's part of the problem with Legacy as well).

In most aspects, I blame Hasbro.  They're a big enough company with more than enough resources to get things figured out.  When things go wrong, it seems they like to point their finger to their consumers quite a bit though, which I think is disgusting.  This is all just my personal opinion though.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #857 on: March 22, 2010, 11:37 PM »
I remember Hasbro had quite a shortage of product during the first TF flick, and they must be afraid to leave money on the table nowadays.

What gets me is the Deluxe fig/vehicle sets getting canned. Those are an amazing deal at $10, but they make such poor choices in regards to selection. (a pink Trouble Bubble? Really?) Those always needed to be an open-stock deal instead of exclusive, but that's just my opinion.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #858 on: March 28, 2010, 07:35 PM »
FYI, basic figs have been marked down to $3.99 at Target, and the Raven thing is $20.  Not sure if this is just locally (Iowa) or elsewhere.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 30, 2010, 01:34 AM »
I saw the same sale at Target here in NY.  They only basic figures they have are from one of the first two waves of ROC; Snake Eyes w/ Timber, Storm Shadow, Scarlett, etc.  Not even worth it.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 30, 2010, 10:06 AM »
all they have at my local Target are 4 filled pegs which only contain about 5 Baronness' from the first wave, and all the rest are the generic Cobra Viper.   ::)

Turtle Viper must not have won over too many fans in my area I guess.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 30, 2010, 01:06 PM »
None of the Targets in my area ever stocked anything past the first two waves of ROC....So there's still a lot of junk left.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 31, 2010, 12:28 AM »
I might pick up a couple more Neo-Vipers. It'd be hard to resist them for $4 each.

I wish they'd mark the Bravos down to $20, though. I'd like to pick up one of the three Gunships my local Target has had sitting around for months.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 31, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Picked up two RHINOS for $12.48 the other day, one for my son and one for me to customizing for SW.  Wheee!

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 1, 2010, 02:38 AM »
I pick up the Night Raven for $20.  on ebay news I scored some vintage joes complete w/ filecards and minty for cheap they are

84 Duke - $8.00
84 Airtight - $6.00
83 Ripcord - $2.95
83 Blowtorch - $2.95

I already have Snow Job of the Past/Present set. Good enough for me

I am happy ( I am not collecting the entire line, just my favorites) List of Vintage joes I plan on getting

Snake Eyes V2
Torpedo
Dusty
Breaker
Flint
Beachhead
Scarlet
Sci-fi
Cobra Commander V1
Destro
Baroness
FireFly
Storm Shadow
Cobra Eel
Snow Serpent

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 1, 2010, 11:01 AM »
Nice score on the vinty Joes!  One of my Kmarts has about 5-10 Night Ravens for $11.  I don't like the ROC version, but it's a decent price I suppose.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #866 on: April 1, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Those are some nice scores, Matt.  Way to go.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 2, 2010, 01:49 PM »
Got 10 large burning a hole in your pocket?

Maybe you can spend it on an unopened USS Flagg.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 2, 2010, 07:50 PM »
It looks to be in excellent condition.  I don't know if it's 10K worth of excellent, but it is an impressive piece that does have a hefty price tag.

E...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 3, 2010, 10:46 AM »
That would be something I would want to visit in person before I dropped that much money on it.  I would also want to pick it up in person, (it is a 4 hour drive from the house)....

However, a toy still in the package to me is like wasted potenital, to me.

Alot of the cancelled Pursuit of Cobra stuff is coming up on Ebay lately too.