Author Topic: The Cartoon  (Read 8219 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
The Cartoon
« on: March 8, 2010, 05:46 PM »
Looks like Shout announced that season 2 and the 87 movie are coming to a disc near you.  I have all of season 1 and all the discs from the 5packs, but I've no clue when I'd find time to actually watch them.  Haven't seen the animated movie since I was a kid, but it will be nice to have - I guess.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
Re: The Cartoon
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2010, 12:00 AM »
Shout has an awesome box set of everything that they began selling last year.  They wanted $150+ at their Joecon table last year.  Amazon has it for $93.99 shipped.  I wish I could afford these right now.  I was hoping for a sale like this on these.

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Real-American-Hero/dp/B002KJ7OE4

Also the TF G1 set is marked way down to $86.99 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Anniversary-Matrix-Leadership-Complete/dp/B002KJ7ODU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1268110907&sr=1-2

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:54 PM »
I've been buying the individual releases as they come out, since I couldn't really afford to drop the whole amount for the nifty footlocker set.  I've really been enjoying watching them again.  I usually just catch and episode or two while I run on our treadmill, so I watch a few each week.  Sure, there are cheezy parts, but it holds up pretty well for me otherwise.  It may be a lot of the nostalgia of it, but I still enjoy watching the episodes - only bad part, it sometimes makes me want to track down more vehicles, etc. :)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 03:49 PM »
Also the TF G1 set is marked way down to $86.99 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Anniversary-Matrix-Leadership-Complete/dp/B002KJ7ODU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1268110907&sr=1-2

I paid a few bucks more for the final Rhino set a few years ago since I originally passed on it not thinking they'd come back with another reissue.  That's an awesome deal.   :)

but I still enjoy watching the episodes - only bad part, it sometimes makes me want to track down more vehicles, etc. :)

That's kind of another reason I haven't started on these...yet
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2010, 12:38 PM »
I've been watching the latest DVD set (Season 2 I believe it is called), and I guess I didn't remember how much the lineups really changed starting with this season.  You really don't see much of the "original" cartoon Joes, instead the lineup mainly consists of:

Hawk, Sgt. Slaughter, Beachhead, Low Light, Lifeline, Sci Fi, Leatherneck, Wet Suit, Mainframe, and Dial Tone

You still see some of the previous Joes (primarily Flint and Lady Jaye so far), but really not much of Duke, Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Shipwreck, Bazooka, Dusty, etc. from what I've watched so far.  I remember seeing these episodes as a kid as well, but I'm more familiar with the Season 1 (or on DVD, 1.1/1.2/1.3) I think.  Still good, and I like the new Joes (Beachhead, Sci Fi, and Wet Suit were always favorites)...but I guess I just forgot what a shift it was.  The same could be said for Cobra, as there doesn't seem to be as much Cobra Commander, Destro, Baroness, Storm Shadow or even the Crimson Twins....and more Serpentor, Dr. Mindbender, and the Dreadnoks.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 4, 2010, 02:42 PM »
Yep, and that started the decline of the coolness factor of GI JOE in my opinion... starting with the Serpentor era, it kinda went downhill.  Especially on the Cobra side.  I liked the original Cobra lineup the most with the blue infantry troops.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2010, 05:11 PM »
I still haven't had a chance to crack these discs open, but hopefully I will once the animated movie hits....or sometime after.   :-\

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: June 4, 2010, 08:10 PM »
Being a few years younger than most here, I was introduced to GI Joe through the 2nd season of the cartoon. After buying Shout's release, it's like manna from heaven. I just watched 'Million Dollar Medic' and it had Scarlett blowing away dozens of BATs, which is a sequence I remember fondly even though I hadn't seen it for almost 25 years.

That's all I have, so, peace.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 8, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Has the animated movie been released yet?  I swear I remember a June/early July release date, but haven't really been hunting too much for DVD's.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: July 8, 2010, 10:48 PM »
IIRC, the release date is July 27th, though it's been found in Canada already. A few more weeks to go.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Gen. Veers

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 12:55 PM »
iFett idk if you and I talked about this at the Ice Viper Brigade meeting but watching the old episodes is more of a nosalgia thing for me. I don't think they have held up that great over the yrs. And I really dislike the '87 movie. I gotta agree with the guy above who said it went downhill at season 2. I only bought season 1 when Rhino released it. I drew the line at season 2. I'm not saying don't watch them but don't expect to be impressed. Best thing to do would be get a bit....... intoxicated. That way you'll laugh more than cringe.

Offline Gen. Veers

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Forgot to mention, yrs  back when I bought the Rhino releases of season 1 I watched them with a friend who had never seen them and was never into the toys. This was interesting. I think his biggest gripe was cheesy dialog and then some of the mistakes in animation.  I also had to set him straight on some of the mythos ie Destro is Scottish not Afro American and he is not in some witchcraft cult. There is a lot about it that is hard to justify. Shipwreck flying a Dragonfly hell everyone is a pilot and they don't wear helmets or flight gear. Duke is not really team leader should have been Flint in season 1.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 03:33 PM »
So the movie came out on Tuesday huh?  My Target hasn't stocked it, so I suppose I'll have to stop and check WM or BB.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 06:58 PM »
So the movie came out on Tuesday huh?  My Target hasn't stocked it, so I suppose I'll have to stop and check WM or BB.

Yeah, our Target hasn't stocked it either, but they skipped the last season set as well.  I have the movie on the way with another order we had at Amazon, so I look forward to checking it out.  It has been quite awhile since I've seen it, so I don't remember much, but I seem to recall not seeing a lot of the Joes I was familiar with.  This was essentially the "end" of the original series right?  I know there was more cartoons after that, but I thought that was with some changes?

Offline Gen. Veers

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 05:28 PM »
After that it was DIC which made Sunbow look like the coolest thing ever imo.