Author Topic: G.I. Joe/Action Man: Modern 12"  (Read 3838 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe/Action Man: Modern 12"
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:27 AM »
I know the 3.75" lines are generally more popular on the forums and other Joe fan sites, but I'm as big a fan of the 12" figures as I am of the ARAH lines.

Anyone here collect only 12" or have more of a focus on that scale? 

There were some decent releases over the last couple of years but they were all based on ARAH characters and I didn't pick up any of them.  I did pick up a few sets from the 40th Anniversary Action Man set.  I'm actually waiting on two orders to come in right now, one from the UK and one from Cotswold for what will probably be my final order.

I also ordered the 12" Escape from Spy Island convention set this year and so far the photos of it look like it'll be a fun set.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe/Action Man: Modern 12"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 03:39 PM »
I'm a sporadic 12" collector.  I opt for the 12" Club every year and buy some of their exclusives like the Man of Asia and Kung-Fu sets. 

I bought the Air Adventurer set and Base Camp at the 2008 Joecon.  That tent, figure and jetpack are just about as cool as these get. 

I've passed on all the other 12" sets since then and in 2006 and 2007 mostly due to buying the 3 3/4" sets in bulk.  Price is also a big factor and I'm hoping they reduce the price of the 2006-2009 sets at a future con.  Last year they were clearing out older 12" sets for dirt cheap but not the AT sets.

I picked up all the Wal-Mart AT figures and 45th repros from the last few years.

I also bught a lot of the 1990s 12" and some early 2000s in stores as they were released.  I passed on the 40th Anniversary sets but was almost tempted to start buying those.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 04:11 PM »
I bought the 2008 Air Adventurer set as well, I love that tent.  I also bought the 2007 Fight for Survival set.  It was expensive but I bought the boxed set, extra figure and dogs as well.  It makes for a really awesome display.

I picked up the Walmart AT figures when they were out as well as the Hot Topic Land Adventurer they put out the year before that.  My Walmart never carried the 45th military figures or accessory sets which was too bad, I'd have packed up a couple of them.

The 12" Club membership figures are what drew me in back in 2002 and I've gotten them ever since.  I've also picked up the accessory sets for them and have bought all the exclusive AT figures except the first one, the Land Adventurer.  Oh, and I haven't bought the talking Astronaut but I probably should.

The 40th Anniversary sets were fun, I bought some but nowhere near the full range.  I've actually liked the 40th Action Man sets a little better, more of a variety.  I picked up two of the Mountaineer sets and the Jungle Explorer and have a Blues and Royals dress outfit on the way along with the SAS Parachute Attack set.  That's been a lot of fun.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:26 PM »
I've never owned any 12" Joes.  Just not my cup of tea personally.  I think I do have the 12" Sandtrooper w/Dewback and a Scout Trooper w/Speederbike somewheres in my collection but that's about it.   Were there even 12" ARAH type guys back in the 80's?  If so, then I must not remember.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 05:14 PM »
No 12" ARAH in the 80's.  They started in the early 90's with the Hall of Fame line.

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 05:20 PM »
Nothing tops the original 12" figures...  My first real collectible hobby besides vintage Star Wars were 12" GIJ's.  I picked them up at flea markets and had my uncle's collection handed down to me at my grandmother's house before she'd passed away.

I loved those.  Still have my uncle's original blonde action soldier and footlocker.  It's the only piece I kept and it's not in great shape, but it's good enough for me.  Nothing's complete and he has a mishmash of gear now, but my favorite is his black turtleneck sweater from the spy island set I believe.

Loved finding that stuff though...  Never saw a good frogman suit ever though and that was something I hoped to get someday. :)

AT wasn't as much my cup of tea but I did enjoy the fuzzhead joe sculpt.  Just not the kung-fu-grip since it was usually deteorated.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2010, 10:50 PM »
Figured this can go here, since I don't think there's a reason to start a Sideshow thread:

Dusty is the next figure in the Sideshow 12" line, and man, does it look nice. If these weren't $130 each, I'd probably own Beachhead and Snake Eyes.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Sideshow offered up both Rock 'n' Roll and Zartan for today's pre-orders.

RnR looks pretty cool but Zartan is the winner IMO.  The exclusive RnR comes with an alternate portrait w/ a bandana but Zartan comes with an "evil" Duke portrait. 

Both of the figures have new arm styles that really look realistic, including elbows!  I don't know if I've seen these before anywhere, they didn't use them on Duke or Flint, so they might be new.  Not sure what that means for elbow articulationg, but very interesting.

E...