Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 5  (Read 87881 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: "Vintage" Collection Wave 5 (2011 Wave 1)
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Word.

Why bother?

Luke=OK, but not where I would spent my tooling budget.

R5-D4=One for the carded collectors

Stormtrooper=It's available right now as the Sandtrooper and no one wants it

Utapau Trooper=Definitely the biggest net win of the wave

Gree=completely unnecessary.  

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Awful. Gotta agree with everyone else, what a letdown of a wave.

- Luke: I might pick him up since he looks like an improvement over the Resurgence BP version (soft goods skirt, white shirt). Best of the wave, but that isn't saying much.
- Han: Where to start? Non-film accurate shirt, horrible headsculpt, and they still haven't fixed his holster. Major pass.
- R5-D4: For some reason I laughed when I saw him. Why bother? If they resculpted him to match the new redone R2 I'll pick him up.
- Gree: Another huge WTF. Probably just wanted another movie commander to have a vintage card with Cody. Pass.
- Utapau Clone/Stormie: Look good, but I'll probably pass. IF the Clone's orange matches the new Gree I'll get one or two. If the Stormie's helmet looks good, again, I'll get one or two, but I honestly think I have enough Stormtroopers. :o

The lone positive is that this looks like a wave I can pass on entirely, which means more money to save (and by save I mean "spend on other things").
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Yes!  I knew I forgot something, and it's that shirt.  Why bother even doing this figure if you're not going to fix the one thing he had different, his shirt being buttoned.  Good eye there Jason, I forgot that completely.

Further crap.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.  If you're not going to make that fix (the shirt) anyways, why not just re-release the original VOTC Han "as is".  Throw in the medal as an accessory and call it good if you want, but I for one prefer the original head sculpt and figure if this is all they are going to do with it.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2010, 08:57 PM »
-Han Solo Medal Ceremony...  Right behind Luke as I'd dig a ceremony Han to go with Luke who looks incredibly queasy...  That's a fairly f'd up headsculpt though (again, prototype, things can change), and I'm disappointed to see his holster isn't strapped to his leg.  It's a huge plus to the figure if they'd fix that, so I'm hopeful some things change but I'm not counting on it.

The biggest issue I have with the Han is that they put the re-tooling on the wrong part. Instead of giving him a new head, they should have re-tooled the torso - Han's shirt was buttoned all the way up during the medal ceremony. It's great to see the VOTC sculpt back out, but this could have been done better.   :'(

Um... I don't think that's a prototype/new head, it looks like the recent DSE Han to me:

Looks like all they did is swap out the stormtrooper belt for Han's gun belt and added the medal.

Talk about disappointment...  :-\
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:01 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Hands behind back, so that probably means his sleeves are unchanged and therefore are wrong, too.

For fun, I circled the characters they could've made.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2010, 10:40 PM »
R5-D4 looks like a repaint of the B.A.D. R5 sculpt.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2010, 10:51 PM »
Wow, a lack-luster wave. Luke is the only real newish figure out of the whole bunch. I didn't think it would be possible to be disappointed, but, here I am.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2010, 11:05 PM »
6 re-dos, 3 troopers... and pretty much none of them look like substantial upgrades over the last version.

I've been really happy with most of what Hasbro's been doing lately, but this wave is a complete clunker.

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2010, 11:09 PM »
Hopefully this wave won't be mass-produced and clogging the pegs for '11Wave 2.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2010, 11:38 PM »
R5-D4 looks like a repaint of the B.A.D. R5 sculpt.

Took another look and you're right, you can clearly see the extra holes on the side.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2010, 11:39 PM »
I noticed that JTWR got a bit of clarification on this wave in their Q&A session:

- Cody's 212th Battalion Trooper (ball and socket hips)
- Stormtrooper (ball and socket hips)
- Commander Gree (EPIII, a straight repack)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2010, 12:06 AM »
Yeah it seemed like the Stormtrooper's at least a mod of the Sandtrooper, a little different.  God willing though, that helmet won't be what he comes with. 

The 212th Utapau Trooper appeared to be a repaint of the current ROTS clone in the vintage line if I had to guess.  The removable helmet and whatnot.

Gree will have just enough of a paint difference to piss folks off, ala Cody. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2010, 12:10 AM »
WOW. When I saw the first few pictures on Scum's page, I was already afraid to click the entire article.

Luke and Stormtrooper are perhaps the only figures I'll buy from this wave (I don't have the Resurgence BP one). I like the effort on this one, the soft-goods skirt alone seems to fix the entire figure from its former BP release.

The astromech droid is laughable. TVC is $8 - a whole $1 mainly for the packaging look - and this figure 1. has no accessories, and 2. is mostly an accessory.

The Han figure just sucks. Like Jeff pointed out above, it looks like Hasbro re-used the headsculpt from the '10 LC Death Star Escape figure. Why does Hasbro keep releasing unwanted Han Solo figures, even though they give him a "C" grade? Hoth Han is already pegwarming.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2010, 12:36 AM »
This "new" Han has been in my collection ever since the DS escape version was released. I modded all of my VOTC Hans. This wave would be fine as a bonus wave but since it's not this is just a resounding disappointment all around.

Even with this crap line up why would you put Gree in there? He is a Saga Legends figure for Yoda's sake. That's the repack you chose Hasbro, really?
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2010, 01:06 AM »
I suppose they had to rebuild some equity after spending a lot of tooling dollars on the Jedi wave. I'll probably pick up a few depending on how their cards look, but I'm certainly not going to buy any for my loose collection.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk