Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 5  (Read 88310 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 5
« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2011, 08:55 PM »
I have actually found Wave 5 Han Solo to be the best likeness of Harrison Ford yet.  

It's not really the likeness that blows, it is the horrible-ness of passing off a regular ANH Han as "Yavin Ceremony" Han - the neckline is wrong, the sleeves are wrong, etc.

If they would have taken this same figure (2009 DS Escape Han; minus Stormtrooper belt, armor, helmet; plus ANH gunbelt) and sold it as "regular" Han, it would probably have been fine.  But trying to pass it off as Yavin Han by slapping a medal on him and calling it good is lazy and it sucks because it will set-back the clock for us getting a "real" Yavin Ceremony Han.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #271 on: March 27, 2011, 11:42 PM »
I'd echo Jeff pretty much...  The likeness I think had some folks itchy because of the Death Star Escape Han...  That figure ate chunks, and this new one looks better to me for some reason.  Deco maybe?  Is it the same headsculpt even?

But what really sucked to me is that Han's rocking basically a Rebel Fleet Trooper's shirt in that scene, but it's a different color.  Same cut though, and this figure isn't near that.  The collar and sleeves just stand out way too much for me.  Hopefully they'll crank out a good one at some point...  I think I mentioned in the battlepack thread a "Ceremony" pack would be a great collector set...  Retooled Han, maybe a retooled Leia of some sort, Chewbacca, and Luke who actually looks like a guy from a planet with two suns instead of an Emo kid.  I'd buy that for a dollar.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2011, 06:21 AM »
Ohhhh okay, gotcha.  Truth be told, if there's no shooting or lightsabers being whizzed around, I'm probably not paying careful attention.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2011, 10:49 AM »
I just with they'd use the VOTC head on ANH Han Solo figures... I am not to worried about the details with his collar/sleeves, it's the head on that figure that irritates me.  A straight up repack of the VOTC Han would at least be a better figure, I think.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #274 on: March 28, 2011, 05:07 PM »
I think it'd be a nice figure to see back out in Legends, replacing Hoth Han...  But when it comes to getting a medal ceremony Han, it's about getting a new figure, not getting more of the Han I already have out on the pegs. :)  I'd like to see them get Resurgence Luke out in the Legends line, maybe with some of his Tatooine extras like his rifle, hat, and binocs, but it doesn't replace the desire I have to see Ceremony Luke put out with at least a normal skintone, so I have that figure in my collection and he's not a total embarassment.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 29, 2011, 09:02 AM »
I don't dismiss any gripe about the head-sculpt, but unless it's really bad, and I ain't that anal-retentive, it's not as important to me as costume accuracy. I just spent $10 on a new head sculpt and a metal. A real waste.

Did finally come across this wave in mass yesterday though. One more Stormtrooper and I can completely wrap this wave.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36 PM »
I like the new version of Han but not as Yavin Ceremony Han.

This is going to be my default "Episode IV" Han head sculpt.  I have already started swapping it onto all the EP IV Hans that I have.

The VOTC one was good, but looked a bit small with width of the body and shoulders.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2011, 01:02 PM »
The Han Solo in this wave is really kind of a disappointment.  It works as a generic ANH Han Solo, but it doesn't nail the specifics of a Yavin ceremony Han Solo.  And the differences are pretty obvious.  Just looking at the figure compared with the carback photo you can see that the collar is wrong, and the sleeves should be rolled down to the wrist.

This seems like a figure that Hasbro offered in the hopes of satisfying fans.  But it seems very clear that they were just trying to use a sculpt that could be re-purposed for other ANH Han Solo offerings in the name of cost-savings.  Knowing that makes this figure that much more disappointing.  Because it seems like Hasbro could potentially come back in 3 or 4 years saying "Here's your new, improved Yavin ceremony Han Solo".
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 30, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Got around to opening Luke from this wave. Nice enough figure, but the design of the pelvic area really makes the figure wonky. I think it's the combination of the soft-goods skirt and ball hip joints that make the figure look like his legs are shorter in proportion to the rest of his body. Also bugs me that they give him the right holster, but couldn't do it for the stormtrooper who can really use it in combination with using the rifle.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 30, 2011, 10:42 AM »
That is one big melon head on that Han, I passed him up on the rack. Hopefully Bespin Han won't have the same problem. Just doesn't look right IMO, going back to the Echo Base Han, he doesn't look right either. Both of them are more Dean Jones than Harrison Ford to me.

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 13, 2011, 05:33 AM »
Found the remains of this wave yesterday, just a bunch of troopers with yellow helmets, a couple of Han's  and a single Yoda which was the only figure I picked up.

It's a really strange little figure to me. It's very posable which I like, but the lousy paint job sort of trashes the figure. The feet and hands on mine look like they originally matched the head color, but were painted bright green for some reason and the hair looks like a bleach job.

I've been swapping round Yoda cloaks. The clone wars animated cloak on this one makes for a good AOTC version, while this cloak looks pretty good on the VOTC.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 13, 2011, 12:28 PM »
I saw some more Hans yesterday pegwarming at TRU, and the shirts are suffering from a paint issue like the similar Legacy version (you can see what looks like black paint under part of it).  Great quality control once again Hasbro.   :-\

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2011, 10:52 AM »
I was shocked to see some remnants of this wave at TRU yesterday. I have not seen a new wave at TRU since Wave 2.

This wave was uber lame but I did find a good use for the Luke head in this wave, if you liked the Rebellion CP Luke but hated the head you can upgrade that figure with comic/time line accuracy by swapping heads. (I used the remnants of the DS Luke with the Resurgence one to make him consistent with my other Lukes)

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 29, 2011, 03:46 AM »
Great news on a new variant from this wave, as pointed out by JTA - Stormtrooper with corrected helmet.

The variant is on the left of the photo - you can tell just by comparing them which one is which, and it's funny how wonky the original release seems. The variant also has a revised paint job - the dots on the torso area have been painted in. JTA also says that the figure found had an "un-yellowed" helmet, but I guess that just depends from sample to sample.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:47 AM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2011, 09:13 AM »
I'll be damned. Looks like I'll be trying to replace the ones I haven't opened yet. Thanks.