Author Topic: Whatcha doin' till Vintage?  (Read 31138 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: Whatcha doin' till Vintage?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Once I complete my Jabba's Palace dio I think I will be making a Kenobi Hut dio display. After seeing how great he looked in that thread I am inspired. I was happy with how my Palace display turned out that I am going to take another stab at one once I am done.

After the EU wave and TFU sets are acquired it will be a long wait until new stuff so between dios and saving more money I should be quite busy.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 04:56 PM »
I was going to save money, but I got sucked into getting BSG Minimates recently (thanks to Jeff and my weak will-power) and in a span of a month, have purchased 4 complete series and some of the TRU ones (with the help of my MN friends).

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 05:21 PM »

They are well aware that this will happen...  this is not the first year they've done this - same thing happened in 2008 and 2009.

Isn't this about the time that collector interest dropped off sharply?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 2, 2010, 09:48 AM »
TRU's $5 figure sale is going to keep me hitting their store as I try to polish off the last Stormtrooper Platoon of my revised Battalion.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 2, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Well, I just bought a Dagobah Luke with Yoda Kubrick for about $100, so I guess I'll be picking up the remaining Kubrick holes in my collection until the vintage line hits.   :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 2, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Looking through my "To Do List"....

-At least one wave or more of Clone Wars basic figures - DONE
-Some of the Deluxe figures w/ vehicles - ALMOST DONE
-Both TFU multipacks - DONE
-The last wave of comic 2-packs - DONE
-The online exclusive comic 2-pack - DONE
-The EU wave - ALL DONE BUT THE ARMY BUILDING
-The Shadow ARC-170 (bargain hunting)
-The Crumb Bomber Republic Gunship

Wow.  It's going to be nice to have some free time between now and July.  ;D
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 2, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Cool idea Nick - let's see how I'm doing with my list...

• The last Clone Wars wave - Snow Gear Obi-wan, Snow Armor Rex, Magnaguard & Firefighter Droid
  • The TRU Clone Wars Tin - want one to open
  • Pick up a couple more Stormtrooper Commanders to build up a squad of four of them
  • The Force Unleashed Box Sets (want three of each) - ended up getting five of each thanks to the BOGO sale
  • The Legacy EU wave

Since I wrote the original list, I've decided that I want to get openers of the Birth of Vader, Tatooine Ambush, Jedi vs. Sith, and Holocron Heist Battlepacks. I'm thinking about just ordering them from Hasbro Toy Shop to be done with them.

I guess I'm just not ready to "let go" for three months yet...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 3, 2010, 10:09 AM »
I guess I'm just not ready to "let go" for three months yet...

I am.  That was a big push with the comic packs and the TRU stuff, not to mention the LEGO sets I caved on during the sale. 

Time for a vacation.   8)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 3, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Time for a vacation.   8)

Yeah - I hear ya!

Which is why I just ordered them from HTS to be done with it.

Now I'm on vacation.  8)
« Last Edit: May 3, 2010, 11:27 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 7, 2010, 12:01 PM »

They are well aware that this will happen...  this is not the first year they've done this - same thing happened in 2008 and 2009.

I know being Canadian makes me an oddball, so there's that.  But Hasbro has had those of us interested in OT stuff on hiatus for nearing nine months now.  A smattering of US carded stuff has trickled in but since there's no point in being in stores regularly, I've missed most of it.  With another several months to go I find I really don't give a crap anymore.  I've got a garage sale coming in a week or two and originally it was going to be mostly titaniums, PT figures and ships.  Now the OT stuff is being thinned fairly dramatically as well. 

I just don't care anymore about this stuff.  The hunt was a big part of the fun.  I could always buy at higher prices from online dealers if I wanted to but that was never the point.  Now with a massive break in time and really crappy distribution over the past year plus what I consider questionable decisions from Hasbro on what is in particular lines, I'm just out.  I completely agree with Hasbro's push on Clone Wars and what I've seen of the cartoon has been enjoyable so marketing wise from that perspective, they're right on target.  The old guard has been told to screw off and I'm getting the message loud and clear.  Unlike the gaps we saw in the old days that lasted for the last two series' out of a particular line I'm not coming back in this time.  POTJ did a fine job of luring me back in with some really cool stuff and I suspect I'll buy an occasional figure or upgrade but one of everything and army building are done.  Dioramas are done.  Side lines are done. 

I'm sad but I'm happy too.  Weird. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 8, 2010, 09:20 AM »

They are well aware that this will happen...  this is not the first year they've done this - same thing happened in 2008 and 2009.

I know being Canadian makes me an oddball, so there's that.  ...I suspect I'll buy an occasional figure or upgrade but one of everything and army building are done.  Dioramas are done.  Side lines are done.  

I'm sad but I'm happy too.  Weird.  

Right there with ya, but I'm in the states (still an oddball enough I suppose). Part of it for me is that I'm not sure what more they could offer that I could get truly excited about. I know they are upgrading figures, but it actually ticks me off to think of dropping the price of a new figure for a slight upgrade of something I have (plus they will do it again in 2-3 years). I think I'm just at the saturation point with the product line period. Regardless of what cardback they put it on.
I totally agree regarding the clone wars line. It looks good, is supported by a pretty good show, and they should milk it for all it is worth. I'm just not interested in collecting it. If this were 1995, I might have the room and the desire to do it. But 15 years later I have quite a lack of both space and desire for new lines. I'm ready to let Star Wars be a kids line again. It was adult focused for a good long time, and I enjoyed it tremendously. And the items we sell don't vanish, they go to someone else who appreciates them and enjoys them too. It keeps the line alive in a different way.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2010, 09:21 AM by Dan »

Offline STARKILLER

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 8, 2010, 09:37 AM »
being i found the eu wave,the fu 5 packs and the final wave of cp's,the only 2 things left i want to find are the birth of darth vader battle pack and cold weather rex and magnaguard,i have yet to see any of either at retail,are they out in force anywhere else yet?

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 04:27 AM »
For want of anything new to buy, I seem to have ended up collecting Bespin guards and performing head and hand swaps. Has anybody else been doing this?

The alien has yet to hit the Uk so I've just been buying up the first version.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 04:29 AM »
I swapped a Captain Needa noggin' onto one of the alien Bespin Guards...  Worked well.

It's a little tall so I'm reluctant to go gaga buying Bespin Guards, but god knows I could.  There's a ton at WM still.  It's the ESB Wave figure lingering around.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 10:48 AM »
I've picked up three so far, I don't want to go too crazy in case they release some new onscreen head sculpts.

I found the Commander Faie from the legacy's head works pretty good, seeing as I only picked it up for a BAD piece it's nice to get some use out of him.