Author Topic: Chewbacca  (Read 22392 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Chewbacca
« on: March 31, 2010, 01:08 PM »
A large contingent of collectors have been buying Star Wars figures since the 70's.  Kenner was able to crank out close to 100 Vintage figures for the Original Trilogy.  Since the Modern Line made a comeback in 1995, Hasbro has slowly and surely been revisiting each of the Vintage figures to give their take.  With the upcoming retro Vintage Collection and many debates on who or what still needs to be updated, we are going to be running a forum feature detailing each Vintage Figure and their Modern counterpart.  So join us on a walk down memory lane in the weeks and months ahead.  First up is the hairy beast himself, Chewbacca!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:09 PM by Scott »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Chewbacca
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage
Released in 1977 as part of the Early Bird Kit, released carded several times

Modern
Released in 2005 as part of Revenge of the Sith Early Bird Kit at Wal-Mart

« Last Edit: April 9, 2010, 08:49 PM by Scott »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:19 PM »
This one as is the case with most of the Original 12 is a no brainer...I'd say this one is way done.  Although, the exact Modern counterpart has not been released on a card.  The VOTC version was ROTJ style Chewie while the Vintage and the Modern EB version have the more slicked back hair he sported through most of ANH and ESB.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:27 PM by Scott »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 03:25 PM »
Can we also include a blurb about any vintage variants?  ;D

Green Crossbow Chewbacca comes to mind immediately, but there is also "Green Pouch" Chewbacca and "Green Legs" Chewbacca, if you consider those true variants.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:39 PM »
Chewbacca is, to me, at least one of the top 3 action figures in Hasbro's modern line...  I consider the two head variants more or less the same figure, so I don't count them separately of each other.  Chewie's just super detailed though, and when I reviewed his VOTC figure I couldn't get over the innovative way they designed him for maximum articulation.

He's really not been rivaled by many other figures.  Honestly off the top of my head I can only think of one that comes close.

This one's a great way to kick off your feature, Scott.  I'd love to see the EB version put out on a basic card, since that's Chewbacca's look for two films.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 04:41 PM »
I have to concur with Jesse, the 2004 Chewbacca is truly one of the best SW figures ever! I honestly cannot foresee how they can improve him outside of new heads/hands he is darn near perfect. One version not mentioned was the 30th Tin version with the snow deco. The yelling expresion on him is great and has the Bespin ambush yelp look. I hope to see that version re-released with no snow deco to recreate that scene.

Another improvement to this figure was this years great Co-Pilot Chewbacca. What stood out for me was the weathered upgrade on his Bowcaster, I bought two just to arm my main Chewies with that Bowcaster.

I have a lot of great memories with the Vintage Chewie. I lost one in my backyard and found him 10 years later. He turned green as he must have absorbed the color from the grass. Great way to start this series of threads.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:50 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 06:44 PM »
First off, this is a great feature Scott...I look forward to reading each update.  I agree with what has already been said, this Chewie (actually, both the EB and VOTC versions) is one of the best figures Hasbro has ever done.  I also consider this one "finished", and don't see how it can be improved on.  Just keep carding this Chewie until the end of the line, and I'd be just fine with that.  I'd also like to see the EB version get released on a vintage card, perhaps to finish out one of the upcoming waves.  Other than that, I think with the various paint variations (Hoth, etc.) on this one already, there isn't much more to do with Chewie than continue to get this figure out there on a somewhat regular basis.  Definitely a "definitive" figure in my book.

Chewbacca was one of my favorite action figures as a kid, and continues to be today.  I say just keep using this definitive wookiee sculpt just as they did in the original line, it doesn't get much better, as Jesse said.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:11 PM »
I´ve got sandstorm Chewie (rotj) and millennium falcon Chewie (BMF) both variations desirable to configure this character
Something I keep in mind for future re uses is the need of a detailed paint job on fingers and nails. This mold would need to be extremeley accurate to profit its sculpt.

In what Chewie evolved was in shape, the application of shades in the paintjob and realistic bandolier.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 08:43 PM »
I'll echo what others have already stated; this is a great feature. (It's actually dragging me back into a Star Wars message board for the first time in a long while.)

This is particularly interesting to me since my very first Star Wars figure was Chewbacca. He was all alone on a peg at Fay's Drugs in February 1978. My mother and I were shopping for Valentines and when I showed him to her, she had to buy it for me. She'd been terribly disappointed she couldn't find any Star Wars toys for Christmas. ("All they had was this piece of cardboard so I got you Micronauts instead.")

I've been slowly replacing older incarnations of certain figures with what I consider to be "definitive" versions. I've been retiring quite a few figures lately as more and more get upgraded. Chewie is a great example. Nothing could ever replace my Vintage Chewbacca but it's fun to see him succeeded so well. Now if only he had slicked back hair and an open mouth.  ;)
Post sober.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 10:07 PM »
I would love to see the EB Chewie on a neo-vintage card.  That figure is like others have said, one of the top 5 figures, if not the top figure, in the entire modern line.  I still have my childhood Chewie, and he remains my brother's favorite (he stopped caring about SW in 1983). 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Chewie was definitely a favorite of mine growing up.  He dwarfed the other figures and kind of reminded me of a faithful dog for some reason.  His unique blaster, while not very faithful to the movie, was also a favorite.  I recall wondering why all the guns didn't have a little bar to help them stay in the hand. 

The new version is very nice.  I love the added articulation and they got the paint down pat.  My only complaint here is the crossbow.  I just think it seems too big and a bit flimsy.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Can we also include a blurb about any vintage variants?  ;D

Green Crossbow Chewbacca comes to mind immediately, but there is also "Green Pouch" Chewbacca and "Green Legs" Chewbacca, if you consider those true variants.

Probably not, as it wasn't the point of this feature.  That, and I don't personally own any of said variants :P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: April 1, 2010, 12:00 AM »
I have a lot of great memories with the Vintage Chewie. I lost one in my backyard and found him 10 years later. He turned green as he must have absorbed the color from the grass. Great way to start this series of threads.

I too lost my vintage Chewie in the yard.  The whole thing didn't turn green but his arms and legs sure did.  He was in the grass for at least 2 years.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: April 1, 2010, 12:39 AM »
I lost my Chewie but never found him again...  Green limbs seem to be a combination of the dye and the plastic (vinyl) for the limb of the vintage figure.  Similar to why the styrene of a Stormtrooper Yellowed differently than the arms/legs and things.

This is a very cool feature, so hat's off to Scott on handling this.  It's a fun trip down memory lane to look at the old vs. the new.  I love vintage, always have and was into that long before there was a modern line to nitpick.  Then modern came and my focus has been here since...  I've dropped vintage almost completely till modern's done and I decide to go back and start filling holes and updating loose figures that I feel aren't 100% mint.

Looking back though, and then to today's "standards", is a very interesting contrast.

Chewbacca's kind of a shock almost...  I'm curious about other figures.  Han(s) will be interesting, as well as my favorites (army builders) like the Death Squad Commander or Hoth Rebel Soldier, neither of which have a modern counterpart that truly reflects said figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: April 1, 2010, 01:05 AM »
I agree, this is a great feature. Great Idea! I also agree that Chewbacca is one of the best figures Hasbro has released.

This may spark the old argument about who is considered a figure but i hope this is done for more than the "92" figures.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"