Author Topic: Antique Finish Detail  (Read 15395 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Antique Finish Detail
« on: March 30, 2010, 02:56 PM »
A friend of mine just contacted me and noticed a strange/new addition to RS's checklist for the TVC line: "Antique Force Detail" Collection figures. Like the exclusive 4-LOM and Zuckuss, it sounds like these are simple Kenner based repaints of the new vintage figures and serve as this year's UGH gimmick. Interesting. I guess that is why there are 11 "new" figures in the previously released list as the 12th figure in the case will probably be the chase figure.

"Antique Force Detail" Collection
AFD##: Boba Fett
AFD##: Death Squad Commander
AFD##: Han Solo
AFD##: Han Solo (Hoth Outfit)
AFD##: Imperial Officer
AFD##: Jawa
AFD##: Leia Organa (Hoth Outfit)
AFD##: Luke Skywalker
AFD##: Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues)
AFD##: Power Droid
AFD##: Twin Pod Cloud Car Pilot
AFD##: Ugnaught
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:03 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 03:46 PM »
Sounds interesting...

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:54 PM »
Now this is something I am very excited about, chase figures that are physically different and worthwhile adding to the collection. While some are easy guesses others are very intriguing and finally give us some meat in this starvation period of news and product.....

I will take a cheap stab of what I think these could be:
Boba Fett (I was hoping the mail away Fett would have been this, a modern Fett in vintage colors.)
Death Squad Commander (This is awesome! Nice homage and one everyone has requested.)
Han Solo (My guess is the Legacy Han DS Head on the 2004 vintage body with black pants. This can be the The "Big Head Version".)
Han Solo (Hoth Outfit) (How many times will we get this figure? He is becoming the new sae see tin of OTC. Really blue with Tan legs.)
Imperial Officer (Will this be the Battlepack version or a Needa repaint? I hope it's a Needa repaint.)
Jawa (Cloth robe/coat? If so this is a toy dream come true!)
Leia Organa (Hoth Outfit) (Not sure about this one will tan colors really stand out? It would be great if it's a Bespin Escape version but would require another head so it's doubtful.)
Luke Skywalker (I am assuming Resurgence Luke with a yellow saber and tan legs/pants)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues) (Hmmm, Yellow Lightsaber & darker brown colors or will they go astray with bloody battle damage? I prefer the latter but still cool)
Power Droid (Finally we will get him in blue!!! Love it!)
Twin Pod Cloud Car Pilot (Non mustache?)
Ugnaught (The questions is will it be purple cloth apron or a purple molded apron? My guess is the 2nd uggy head on the first version's body.)
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:05 PM »
Some of it's interesting, some of it not so much...  For instance I'm very interested in a Death Squad Commander and Power Droid...  Not so much on Hoth Leia or Bespin Luke though.

I can't say I'm a fan of chase anything...  They add an element to the line I can't stand, and it's inevitable that that element makes other aspects of the line difficult to find beyond the chase stuff.  Some of the UGH in the past haven't been too hard to track down (2007's stuff wasn't horrible to find), but complete figure changes I think are going to be a bigger headache than gold coins.

Like I said, some of that I'm geeked about, but other stuff I don't really care...  Will the stuff I'm geeked about be something that can be tracked down then?  Ugh...  Ugh indeed. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 05:10 PM »
I'm keen on the idea. I do hope they go the brown/yellow hair with yellow lightsaber route for the Farmboy and Bespin Lukes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:13 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 05:13 PM »
I can't say I'm a fan of chase anything...  They add an element to the line I can't stand, and it's inevitable that that element makes other aspects of the line difficult to find beyond the chase stuff.  Some of the UGH in the past haven't been too hard to track down (2007's stuff wasn't horrible to find), but complete figure changes I think are going to be a bigger headache than gold coins.

Like I said, some of that I'm geeked about, but other stuff I don't really care...  Will the stuff I'm geeked about be something that can be tracked down then?  Ugh...  Ugh indeed. 

I agree with the part about how it will suck if these end up being rare... if they're very hard to get, then it make is more of a chore than a hobby.  And that ruins a lot of the fun.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 05:14 PM »
I love the idea if it weren't for the fact I think they will be a struggle to find.

I think Chewie hit it on the nose.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:14 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 05:27 PM »
In the theoretical words of Roadblock  "If you order by the case you will have no need for the chase!"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 05:27 PM »
None of the last few UGHs have been hard to get.  This huge for knocking a lot of the figures off the Vintage update list.  I have some pictures of Power Droids that look nothing like the GNK versions and are what the vintage one was based on...I doubt they will do it because it would require sculpting as opposed to these which seem to be easy repaints.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 05:38 PM »
I agree, I came across every UGH at retail. The only difference this year is the quantities will be less that previous as the line as a whole has shrunk production wise.

Seriously, I really do not understand those that still enjoy hunting in stores for this stuff. It's too much of a chore, brings too many disappointments and often times too much competition. If you order online they are delivered right to your door, guaranteed to have every figure in the wave plus the more elusive chase figures. You will also get cards that have zero shelf wear as some are afraid of.

I am really happy these repacks will actually be different instead of straight repacks. I hope the card art is different too!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 05:40 PM »

I hope the card art is different too!

You know better than that!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 06:19 PM »
I never found TSC UGH Scorch or TAC UGH Vader at retail and I was really hunting for those suckers when they were released, but given time - they were all easy to track down wherever so I'm not too worried, but I could do without chase type stuff with Hasbro.

Seriously, I really do not understand those that still enjoy hunting in stores for this stuff. It's too much of a chore, brings too many disappointments and often times too much competition. If you order online they are delivered right to your door, guaranteed to have every figure in the wave plus the more elusive chase figures. You will also get cards that have zero shelf wear as some are afraid of.

Ya it's easier ordering online, but it's the thrill of the hunt!  Most of the only competition (if any) I have in my area are fellow collectors who are there to help.  9/10 I find minty mint cards at retail so I just use that extra cash to waste gas.  As archaic as it may sound - I still enjoy retail finds (if possible) after all these years.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 06:38 PM »

I hope the card art is different too!

You know better than that!

Your right. I will expect the same crappy Luke Bespin picture once again.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 07:26 PM »
The Saga UGH silver figures were a bitch to find...  To the point I didn't even bother trying for a set of those (I dig having complete pack-in collections loose for some reason).  TAC's stuff was easy enough to find but some were easier than others for certain.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the idea Hasbro's got here, but I don't like things becoming difficult to track down that I may want.  For instance, Death Squad COmmander...  I'd like more than one of him since he's an army builder.  Same with some of the other items.  Some I have almost no interest in (Hoth Leia, Hoth Han, etc.).  I hope they're relatively easy to find.

I like ordering by the case too, but for extras/army building that's not a practical strategy...  I can swing one case per wave, but not more than that.  :-\

My other point was that UGH tends to attract the scalper crowd too...  Legacy I didn't notice them that much, but I recall seeing many more of them in the toy aisles during Saga, 30AC, and so on.  Chase stuff tends to have that unfortunate by-product.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Antique Finish Detail
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 08:47 PM »
This sounds like it could be pretty cool, as long as they aren't impossible to find.  I like the idea of "new" figures, and the nods to the vintage line.  That being said, like Jesse mentioned, stuff like this attracts scalpers and hoarding in some cases.  In a perfect world, where toy lines weren't such secondary money makers for some, it would just be a fun thing to do while you are collecting (finding the chase figures, that is).  Unfortunately, it doesn't usually work that way.

I think in the entirety of the TSC line, I only saw one silver "foil" figure at retail.  I didn't really care to have any, so it wasn't a big deal, but those were definitely scalper fodder around here.  For the TAC collection, the gold coin stuff was a little bit easier to find - but still not in abundance.  Like others have said, as long as they aren't super rare and impossible to find, it could be neat.  Or, it could be a tremendous headache that drives more people away.  Things like this make me think more and more it might be time to cut back to just the Star Wars line starting this fall (at least for the most part), because it is going to take more money and time than I thought with this nifty vintage collection.  A lot of neat stuff, but I have a feeling we're going to have to be on our toes to find it all.  I'm one that usually just orders a set/case of the "realistic" style stuff anymore, and try my luck at any extras I need at retail or online.  That has especially been the case the past couple years, as there really hasn't been a lot of Legacy stuff hitting the pegs here with any regularity.