Author Topic: R2-D2  (Read 15127 times)

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: R2-D2
« Reply #15 on: April 8, 2010, 05:32 AM »
I've come to the sorry conclusion that I may never stop buying R2's. I swore I wouldn't buy the latest release with the restraining bolt and the electrical effect and yet somehow it's rolling around Mos eisley in my room.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 8, 2010, 08:32 AM »
I always liked the Bartoo-Detoo from Saga '04.  The sculpt is really dated these days, but that was pretty much my go-to plain Artoo until the Resurgence one came along:

Unless I happen onto a Resurgence R2 for cheap, this one is my default R2 in my astro droid collection.  However, like you said, it's definitely dated compared to the other R2's that have the Resurgence mold (especially since R2 is front and center in my display).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 9, 2010, 01:21 AM »
R2 D2 was my first Star Wars figure back in '78. I owned him before I ever saw the movie.

I had that one, who was quickly replaced by the Droid Factory version (with 3rd leg!) as my favorite. Later I moved onto the ESB sensorscope version (had two of that one since the sticker peeled due to heavy play). Even had the POTF Lightsaber popping one from '85, even though he got played with very little.

Then came the POTF2 version 10 years later, and WOW what a difference. For what it was, with the sculpted body panels, retractable 3rd leg, and light-up eye, he was a real fantastic improvement. Loved the POTF2 electronic version when it first came out...the mini-diorama it came with is one of my favorite environmental pieces.When the POTF2 sensorscope version came out, I ate that one up too (actually due to the clearances of figures in '98 a wound up with a lot of those that I practiced customizing on.) I bought a Flashback / lightsaber launching version even though it was mostly a dud.

Bought the Episode I version for the cut scene rockets.

Spent two years tracking down an affordable commtech version, and really really liked that one (and the gummi Leia). I got the Saga electronic R2 update and had fun with the new sound chip. Got a green paint splattered version with the Saga X-Wing, and was disappointed...but not as much as when I got the "flying" Saga version, one of the worst Star Wars figures of all time bar none. I mean, really really bad. Bootleg-quality bad. Then came BaR2, and I thought we had reached the pinacle.

By the time we got to 2004, my R2 thirst was largely sated. I skipped the OTC Dagobah version, as well as the VOTC version. ROTS figures barely existed to me. Then I skipped the Saga2 version, and by the time the 30AC version rolled out, passing up R2 had become the standard for me.

I did wind up with a ROTS Early Bird R2 when I found the set at a great price. I basically got him as a bonus.

I did buy the WM '08 Droid Factory version, even if he came with a rehashed Luke Pilot...that battle-damaged version is now my favorite alternate.

I passed up the Legacy / Jawa Attack version (didn't everyone already make that when we got the accessory with the AOTC Preview droid?) but only after careful scrutiny.

And, of course, I've passed on all the Battle Pack versions, though the Endor Raid version was intriguing, and the Resurgence version is the "new" pinnacle. I haven't bit on that set yet in the hopes that the two figures I want from there will find other ways out.

But I still have such fond memories of that original vintage R2, who got my collecting ball rolling.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 11:54 PM »
the vintage R2D2 was thinner, this is perhaps a reason for the use of a decal instead of an sculpted torso; the same topic for his legs.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 02:17 AM »
I actually like the VOTC sculpt and actually prefer it to the R4-G9 sculpt. I never really cared for the whole "turn the head to retract the third leg" gimmick and the legs are always made from really soft/cheap plastic which leads to warping.

That being said, I really like the Resurgence R2 and recently bumped it to "#1" of all of my R2s. However I still have the Bar2 version on display as it's still a great figure.

Also nowadays I basically only buy the R2 figures if the accessories are cool enough. Probably shouldn't have bought the 30AC version, but the cargo net and "Ewok log transport" you could tie him to were pretty sweet.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Desipte the inaccuracy I actually like that shiny domed VOTC R2. I have no experience with the panels though, since I only have one, and he's firmly carded and clam shelled  ;)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 07:22 PM »
I prefer the Sneak Preview body, but I think the most recent Jawa Capture version takes the cake in terms of deco.