Vintage
Released in 1977 as part of the Early Bird Kit, released carded several times

Modern
Resurgence of the Jedi Battle Pack R2-D2

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: R2-D2
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2010, 11:38 PM »
Excellent choice!  I also liked the Commtech R2-D2, but the resurgence BP R2-D2 is awesome.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 5, 2010, 12:07 AM »
I still really like the original (vintage) R2-D2 quite a bit.  I got a pretty decent 12 back. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2010, 12:08 AM »
It is pretty unfathomable why it took over 5 years to finally get this R2.  They should have been cranking them out left and right the whole time.  Instead they hitched their horse to the Electronic version.  That one is neat and all but this one is beyond great

All that said...Hasbro pointed out recently that the head could still use some tweaking to reflect the smooth finish and not have recessed panels.  Also the Body panels are a little too pronounced.

Vintage R2 was keen too for what it was.  I used to pretend his gaping ass was a cannon and he could shoot down the Imperial Forces coming to attack.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2010, 12:09 AM »
One other piece of trivia...Kenner didn't do a very good job of airbrushing off 3PO's hand from R2's noggin :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2010, 02:45 AM »
Interesting, I don't think I ever noticed the hand there.

I like the Resurgeance R2...  From a collecting POV I'd be ok if they didn't ever upgrade the "definitive" R2 beyond this, and all we got is a Clone Wars styled R2 in terms of opening panels/gadgetry.  I wouldn't turn my nose up on one with smoothed out panels though.

I agree the Commtech figure's good for the brief period R2's sporting the droid restraining bolt...  I keep mine on the shelf with the Jawas for just that reason, along with a PotD 3PO.

If we got a really good Swiss Army R2, I would probably take it as my "ultimate", but they'd really have to do well on it for me to abandon the Resurgence figure.  That's just some good astromechin' there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2010, 12:46 PM »
I got to admit too. I like the commtech version still. Remember how we chased down the circular peg "ankle" articulation version verses the half circle peg version? Boy, were we dumb back then!

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2010, 01:02 PM »
I think R2 - vintage or modern - is always one of everyone's favorites to have.  The character itself is probably one of the most instantly recognized in all of pop culture, and always says "Star Wars" to just about anyone.  Anyways, I'm pretty much in the same boat as everyone else with the R2-D2 figures.  I really liked my vintage one (it was the sensorscope version), and thought the commtech version was amazing when it first came out (I also keep it on display still).  I think the "Resurgence" R2-D2 is pretty much definitive as well, and I'd be fine with them re-carding and re-releasing that figure until the end of the line.  Like Jesse, I wouldn't turn down the "swiss army" version with the minor tweaks mentioned here - but as a standard, good looking R2-D2, the Resurgence BP version is pretty nice.  Like the already mentioned EB/VOTC Chewie and Resurgence Luke, I think they could just keep repacking these figures to get their "version of character x" out there for new collectors/kiddos/etc.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: April 6, 2010, 12:16 PM »
Commtech R2 is pretty sweet too...both of them could use some work on their light pipes.  They never seem to be true to square in the head.  I think the Resurgence retractable leg and the lack of the restraining bolt win out for vintage update.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: April 6, 2010, 03:55 PM »
I got to admit too. I like the commtech version still. Remember how we chased down the circular peg "ankle" articulation version verses the half circle peg version? Boy, were we dumb back then!

I remember how people were chasing down any version of that figure.  It was a bitch to find.  It took months of looking before I finally gave up and bought one from some scalping website for $30 or something.  Then a couple months after that I found them at TRU for like $2 each during one of their epic clearance sales.  (Anyone still need a Swimming Jar-Jar?)

Anyway, the CommTech version was great for the time but it's been greatly surpassed in the ten years since.  The light pipe's weird, the paint job on the dome is sloppy, the "eye" is too small, and the hoses on the feet aren't "real".  Worst of all, it's way undersized.  I do like the restraining bolt, though.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: April 7, 2010, 10:04 AM »
I still have a soft spot for the Commtech R2, but he's definitely been surpassed by the Resurgence R2 and the newer restraining bolt R2 (last year).

And I still like the vintage version - I love it actually - it's quintessential vintage SW.  I remember buying it at Ben Franklin's to this day.   :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: April 7, 2010, 10:38 AM »
One that nobody has mention is VOTC and EB R2s.  I hate those things.  The panels will not stay attached to the body...the head is shiny, it just sucks
« Last Edit: April 7, 2010, 10:39 AM by Scott »

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #12 on: April 7, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Despite the lack of a swivel dome and middle leg/foot, I really like the Dagobah R2 from OTC. The deco and terrain base goes a long way, for me at least, in improving that particular sculpt.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #13 on: April 7, 2010, 12:52 PM »
I always liked the Bartoo-Detoo from Saga '04.  The sculpt is really dated these days, but that was pretty much my go-to plain Artoo until the Resurgence one came along:

(Kudos to Jayson for having a pic of him without all the gear.)
« Last Edit: April 7, 2010, 03:59 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: April 7, 2010, 03:43 PM »
Bar2-D2 is one of my favorites too.  Besides the hole in the top of his head, he's pretty near perfect as well.

I didn't MIND VOTC R2-D2, mine's panels stayed on fine, but the shiney dome's meh, and it's just not a favorite of mine either.  Kind of in-between.  I like it for the "gadgets" R2 update that it is, basically.  It's better than the POTF2 one anyhow.  But I'd like a new one with brushed metal/aluminum dome.  The Clone Wars design is nice, so that on a realistic figure would be my ideal version of R2 with tools.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77