Author Topic: Star Wars: Detours  (Read 15963 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Star Wars: Detours
« on: April 5, 2010, 04:09 PM »
New Star Wars Animated Series in the Works

"Untitled Animated Star Wars Project Will Explore the Universe from a New Perspective, Blending Wry Comedy and Irreverent Fun"

So... is this series just more "Star Wars / Robot Chicken" mash-ups or is there actually a point to it?

If it wasn't for the fact it was posted today, I would have thought it was an April Fool's joke.   ???  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: New Animated SW Series from the Robot Chicken Guys
« Reply #1 on: April 5, 2010, 04:56 PM »
I saw info about this first on that otheR Site and when I clicked over to StarWars.com I was expecting to see the story dated 4/1, but it was dated today.

You almost have to wonder if it was meant for 4/1 and there was a snafu on the article getting published to the site today.

You have to ask yourself when you read the premise of this series - "what's the point?"

Sure it might be humorous, but beyond that, I don't think it will last that long.

Maybe Lucasfilm is looking for something else to air with the Clone Wars so they can make it a solid hour of programming.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: April 5, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Those were my same thoughts... this is a few days late.  Funny takes on SW are funny, every once in a while.  Every week, it would get kind of old, and I'd think it would start to point out the silliness of it all.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2010, 08:33 PM »
I don't really care for Robot Chicken for the most part, but I still dig the Aluminum Falcon line.  Maybe the animated aspect will spice it up some (more) ?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2010, 11:48 PM »
Make it a solid half hour of "Dr. Ball, M.D." and I'M SO THERE!

"I said Good Day, sir!"

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2010, 11:54 PM »
I really can't stand Seth Green.  That said, the Robot Chicken episodes are pretty funny.  That also said, I'm with Darby.  Continually making fun of the thing has to potential to backfire.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: April 6, 2010, 12:24 AM »
Pretty much the same thoughts from me... 

For me, the "fun" of Star Wars is largely rooted in its military story that most of it centers around...  It's the Civil War happening around the characters of Gone with the Wind, and that central event draws me in more just from my own personal circle of interest(s), and so the "humor" side of Star Wars is fun to me but it can get old fast to me too.

I'm interested though...  The perspective sounds the most interesting, coming from the mundane...  The farmer, the factory worker, the office worker...  ICMG's perspective (if you take the "he's a rebel" backstory out, and just assume he's a miner carrying mining equipment).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #7 on: April 6, 2010, 01:11 AM »
The impression that I got from another article, was that this show would skew a little younger than Clone Wars.  I think that while TCW is a fantastic show, it's appealing to older veiwers.  In fact, my boys, who are 5 1/2 and 4, aren't that into it.  And it's pretty violent, so I don't let them see every episode.  I think that this new show will be more along the lines of Super Hero Squad, which uses the Marvel universe as a jumping off point for humor.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline chap

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 6, 2010, 03:25 PM »
The impression that I got from another article, was that this show would skew a little younger than Clone Wars.  I think that while TCW is a fantastic show, it's appealing to older veiwers.  In fact, my boys, who are 5 1/2 and 4, aren't that into it.  And it's pretty violent, so I don't let them see every episode.  I think that this new show will be more along the lines of Super Hero Squad, which uses the Marvel universe as a jumping off point for humor.

I think I would be okay with something like that.  But if its anything like family guy I'll be mad.  Family guy is funny, until you figure out that every episode is the same...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: April 6, 2010, 03:30 PM »
I think that this new show will be more along the lines of Super Hero Squad, which uses the Marvel universe as a jumping off point for humor.

It's my understanding that this show and the rumored "Galactic Hereos" inspired show are two separate things.  That could be wrong though and they could be the same, but most rumor reports say they are two separate shows.  I guess we have to wait and see...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 7, 2010, 11:55 AM »
I'm with the majority here as well, not so sure about this.  If it is indeed the same as the "Galactic Heroes" show, I could see that being ok.  Our daughter loves the Marvel Super Hero Squad show, and although I'm sure it doesn't appeal to older fans - it is a nice way to introduce little ones to that "universe".  If it is a seperate thing, I'm not so sure.  I really enjoyed both of the Robot Chicken specials, and I'm ok with Star Wars humor in that way - a couple of specials every year (or even one a year) like Robot Chicken and Family Guy have been doing.  If it was a regular series, I'm not so sure.  It has the potential to make Star Wars a joke, and not just show the humor from Star Wars if you know what I mean.  If they want to keep expanding the Star Wars animated/television universe, I'd rather see a CW-styled toon set in the Original Trilogy time period or something.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Star Wars: Detours
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 02:13 PM »
Just watched the trailer for this (and I think some other footage was shown at CVI).  From the Robot Chicken team:

http://blog.newsarama.com/2012/08/24/star-wars-celebration-vi-star-wars-detours-new-from-robot-chicken-team/

Looks kind of funny, I'm looking forward to it.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Detours
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 04:28 PM »
Is this the long-rumored kid's show Seth Green was supposed to be doing?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Yeah, it is Seth Green (and team Robot Chicken)'s show, but I'm not sure if it is so much a kid's show as an "all ages" sort of things.  I thought the trailer and clips released looked kind of good, and it was nice to see some OT characters in animated form as well.  Something fun anyways.  The trailer and some clips shown here, I sort of liked the Han/Chewie one:

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/First_Look_Star_Wars_Detours_147679.asp

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 11:22 PM »
I'm gonna pass - I love the Robot Chicken stuff, but this looks like Robot Chicken, minus the stop-motion animation and the humor...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!