Author Topic: Jabba's Throne w/Oola  (Read 209632 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Jabba w/Oola
« Reply #15 on: April 9, 2010, 02:47 AM »
I just can't get myself to find a 27 year old throne to be a reasonable stand-in for anything.  Nor can I get myself to get behind the idea that they can just pretty-up that 27 year old throne and have something that is anywhere near the quality level of the work they do now.

The vintage one is certainly a helluva lot better than the cardboard one that came out in the POTF2 pop-up Jabba's palace.  Otherwise, what are the alternatives?  There's vintage, then cardboard, then custom, and then nothing.

Daigo-Bah's work is amazing, but not exactly available on a mass scale.  Although you could start up a booming little cottage industry making Jabba's thrones...provided Uncle George doesn't slap you with a cease and desist order!  ;D
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 9, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Why not just make this set a Deluxe Battlepack a la the Target exclusives with the AT-ST's?  They should be able to throw in a few pillows and a jawa with a fan (c'mon, just repack a jawa with a new accessory).  Then they are at the $50 price point and could put in a few extras for us.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 9, 2010, 09:52 AM »
I wasn't sure how to read Hasbro's answer on the Oola question either when it comes to the accessories comment.  Unfortunately, we dissect every answer Hasbro gives us and any ambiguity leads to days worth of speculation.

When I read that answer the first time the first thought that popped into my head was "there goes the dais" as well as possibly anything else like his pipe and food bowl.  But after reading it again, I think (maybe it's wishful thinking) that Hasbro may have just been addressing the extra accessories in the context of the question asked; no swapable legs for Oola, no Jabba denizens, etc.  

However, has Hasbro actually confirmed the dais or was that always one of those "if we can afford it" type of prospects?  

Edit -> On February 3rd, Jedi Insider asked for details about Jabba and Hasbro had this response: "We can confirm that there is a new Jabba and Dais coming this Fall, and that it will have a pack-in figure." 

So I'm thinking that maybe the dais is still in, and the answer on this question may have been within the context of the question about those specific accessories. Hopefully.  If they drop the dais we may have a problem.

E...
« Last Edit: April 9, 2010, 10:11 AM by efranks »
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #18 on: April 9, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Yeah, Hasbro's wording on that answer was difficult to decipher.  Reminded me of an SAT question.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 9, 2010, 11:15 AM »
The vintage one is certainly a helluva lot better than the cardboard one that came out in the POTF2 pop-up Jabba's palace.  Otherwise, what are the alternatives?  There's vintage, then cardboard, then custom, and then nothing.

The alternative is the hypothetical one that Hasbro is working on right now.  I'm not saying that the other ones suck and we should all make our own.  I'm making the case that a new one is something Hasbro would be able to sell quite handily and that it would be pretty easy for them to improve on the old ones in a pretty substantial way.

« Last Edit: April 9, 2010, 11:16 AM by Rob »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 9, 2010, 03:25 PM »
I totally hear you on that Rob.  This is an instance where it looks like Hasbro may be cutting corners in order to get something out to market.  I definitely want to see a new throne. 

But the way Hasbro answered this particular question?  They did that VERY carefully.  And to me it looks like Hasbro *MAY* be setting us up for the disappointment that while we're getting a new Jabba, the throne may have been too expensive of an accessory to fit in a Battle Pack that might even go for $30.

Feedback

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 9, 2010, 03:30 PM »
I would hope someone asks about that in the next qna (if it's not too late)  They've already confirmed the new Jabba and Oola, so would they really want to keep the throne/dias a secret?  maybe...maybe not.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #22 on: April 9, 2010, 03:33 PM »
I love the blow job Jabba from EP1. That one definitely belongs in the hall of shame.

Agreed with Rob. I painted and added other details to the classic dais, it actually does looks good as the sculpt was very well done back in the day. However I do want a modern one as the level of sculpting is on a new level. I am currently building a new palace shelf display and I am anticipating this to be a little bigger already compensating for so it better be there:

Current display (Second shelf, sorry it's small):

Work in progress (yes  am so excited for this item as display and I am showing off):

FYI - I am not building this to be 100% accurate in the layout of the Palace but want a very detailed environment to compliment my collection and one of my favorite locations of the trilogy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:46 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #23 on: April 9, 2010, 03:38 PM »
I would hope someone asks about that in the next qna (if it's not too late)  They've already confirmed the new Jabba and Oola, so would they really want to keep the throne/dias a secret?  maybe...maybe not.

Back in Feb. 2010, JediInsider's QnA revealed that the Jabba, Dais and a pack-in figure were in the works for this set. Hopefully those plans pan out.

Hasbro: We can confirm that there is a new Jabba and Dais coming this Fall, and that it will have a pack-in figure. Beyond that, we do not have more details.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 9, 2010, 03:51 PM »
Nice work JACK!  Is the black material foamcore?

Feedback

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 9, 2010, 03:51 PM »
Oopps...Saw that post up there from E.  Guess I'm still hoping we get the dias...and a throne.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #26 on: April 9, 2010, 05:05 PM »
This is one of the few aspects of the vintage era that has yet to be improved upon by the modern line - Rob's photo selections prove that. Here's hoping they go all out. It's been a long time....

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #27 on: April 9, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Nice work JACK!  Is the black material foamcore?

Thanks, got a ways to go. Yes on the foam core. I am going to coat it in plaster after some more structure details are added. I will place shots in the custom section once it's done in 2-3 weeks. I made the dais section wider to accommodate this (hopefully) new one.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 11:21 AM »
I don't see how Hasbro can't do the throne, yet one hasn't been done in 27 years. I'll certainly be in the annoyed camp if one isn't done.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 04:08 PM »
If we dont get a dias then there really is no point to this.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"