Author Topic: Scoop JediMAC at Comic Con...Hasbro Q&A  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Scoop JediMAC at Comic Con...Hasbro Q&A
« on: July 18, 2003, 04:05 PM »
More news

Reporter on the Street Matt Colman (he works for us at JediDefender you may know him as Bulky Blocky) just got out of the Hasbro Q&A at Comic Con this is what he has new to say!

No More Clone Wars after this year...These are not going to be sold at Wal-Mart!  eBay will be where Jedi Master Points are Redeemed, details still be worked on. 1 Collection and 1 Line of figures next year, 1 Wave Per Month 3-4 figures (Includes Deluxe) And as reported earlier...

Wave 1 Hoth Wampa, Hoth Luke
Wave 2 Tatooine (Jedi Luke)
Wave 3 Jabba's Palace w/ Jabba (In Insider #71)
Wave 4 Battle of Yavin (Antilles, Dodonna)
Wave 5 Star Destroyer (Dengar w/ Backpack)

All Original Trilogy Figures in the first 5 Waves
Imperial Dignitary 2 will be shown at Wizard World
Brown Coat Hoth Han will be out later this year
Silver Clone Trooper not finalized for release yet
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 04:26 PM by OCB »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Scoop JediMAC at Comic Con...Hasbro Q&A
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 04:51 PM »
One other thing

Steve Sansweet told Matt that Volume 2 of the Action Figure Archive is being kicked around

And here again are the full details on the Jedi Points

Just got off the phone with JediMAC, here is what Hasbro had to say at Comic Con about these

The auctions will be held on eBay
Jedi Master points will somehow be converted to a $$$ amount
Only 3 months
Maybe only One time Deal
Auctions will be 1 week long
Need to be a registered starwars.hasbro.com member
Shipping and Handling is Included
US Citizens only

Sorry non-USers  :(

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 04:57 PM »
Keep it locked on JediDefender for continuing coverage. There are quite a few nice write ups on the main news page. Comic Con coverage is being archived as well.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 09:14 PM »
US Citizens only

Sorry non-USers  :(

Gee, where's the stunning shock in that.  Yo, 30 odd million Canadians?  You're irrelevant.  Nice Hasbro, real nice.  I am sorely tempted to use a 7 letter word right now. >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 12:32 AM »
Goes to show you how Hasbro thinks. I think this auction deal is pretty lame.

They could of come up with something better than that. They only had YEARS to figure it out.
I remember my dream now.

Offline E.Z.

• Jedi Initiate
  • Montreal, Quebec
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 10:37 AM »
I'm a carded collector and therefore don't have any points. However the news that it's only for the US sickens me.

Do we not buy the figures? Yes.

Are the points on Canadian figures as well? Yes.

Same crap as the Siver R2-D2. Lousy company.  >:(
Shawn

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 10:58 AM »
Guys,this is only a test,america is only a test market ::),I feel sorry for you canuks.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 02:10 PM »
Sorry sounds like a very poor idea for the Points thing.  Oh well congrats go to the person that has the most points saved up since you'll undoubtedly win whatever is auctioned.   Yeah, that's disappointing to me.  I have a lot of points but I'm sure someone has more of them.  I think I may as well toss them in the neighbor's hamster cage.  

The initial waves of OT figures sound kind of neat.  Especially Riekaan.  

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 05:26 PM »
Anyone, know if the silver Fett's are still available.  I am planning on driving down tomorrow morning "Sunday."

Thanks.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2003, 12:49 AM »
I find the Jedi Points deal to be disturbing...  My opinion is known.  It's an answer for a financially dying franchise really.  Check the cutbacks to product in a non-movie year...  Wal-Mart is NOT gonna carry Clone Wars product...  These are signs of the Star Wars Toy apocolyps...  Retail interest is low because retail sales were poor.  

Some of the new product is intriguing, and some of the accompanying pictures were great I think, but a lot of this smacks of "too little too late", and the Jedi Points deal is downright offensive to many.

Why release JMP's on Canadian and European packaging if you're going to exclude them immediately?  Not that the idea is good to begin with.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2003, 03:52 AM »
I only pray that Jesse's apocalyptic predictions are alarmist, but he's probably right.  Either the CW stuff is so successful elsewhere and Wal Mart realizes the error of its ways, or it tanks, and we're all instant internet shoppers.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2003, 04:07 AM »
Well Walmart got the shaft on alot of their exclusives. I think the ones that sold really well were the Max Rebo Band Pairs.

This could be different in other areas but I know here the 12" Dagobah Luke, Cantina Sets, Tie Bombers all pretty much sat until they got marked down to clearance.

If I was a major retailer I would be cautious as well.

I know they keep stocking Star Wars they just won't carry the Clone Wars stuff.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2003, 06:30 PM »
Actually, I think WalMart's case with exclusives was a mixed bag.  Just think about what they got in the past year or so...

-POTJ TIE Bomber & Snowspeeder
-SAGA TIE Bomber
-SAGA 12" Luke w/ Yoda
-SAGA Cantina Scenes
-C-3PO & R2-D2 Holiday 2-Pack
-2 x Trash Compactor Screen Scenes

The only ones I saw sit at all for any ammount of time were the Cantina Sets.  The SAGA TIE Bombers only stuck around for a little while in some places.  Same with the 12" Luke.  I didn't see clearance prices on much of any of this stuff.

I think WalMart's new position is more attributable to the SAGA line not selling as well as they would've liked during the movie year.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2003, 04:27 PM »
well vehicles always seem to do better than figures, especially when they are exclusives.

Offline Jasim

• Youngling
  • Do or Do Not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2003, 03:48 AM »
I was interested in hearing the announcement about the on-line auctions with eBay. However I am already cautious about them. The other day I saw that some enterprising soul has already started auctioning off the Jedi Master Points at the last time I checked the bid was at $20.50. I will bid to try to win something but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think that having the auctions World wide or at least regionally such as all of N. America or Europe or Asia and Australia would have been really interesting. Hopefully, since the first one is a trial Hasbro will expand the opportunity to our fellow collectors around the world.

I am excited about the new figures that will be released this year and then next year also. I think that the deluxe figures will be pretty cool.  I'm looking forward to the Bail Organa figure, Tatooine Padme and the Concept Stormtrooper. As for next year's figures I think the Tatooine Jedi Luke will be the ultimate. Wouldn't it be cool if the Luke figure came with two or three right hands: one flesh, one battle damaged, and one gloved. That would be so awesome.

I have been thinking about Wal-Mart and its lack of support for the Star Wars Saga line this year. Who cares! It means I won't have to hit 16 stores on a fruitless run twice a week.  However, they could be pretty market savvy in the notion that maybe people will keep them in their run rotation. Each time that Wal-Mart stores have put new merchandise out on the shelves so far this year, it has been snatched up and picked clean within hours to as much as two days max even those with incredibly damaged packaging (ie Trash Compactor Sets with utility knife cuts in the bubble and on the cards and dented bubbles).  I'm not talking about last year's leavin's or the Cantina Cinema Scenes which continue to darken the pegs but the new waves of '03. Perhaps they are just keeping us hanging on for the chance at seeing the new items and then they are not stuck with yearlong pegwarmers.  While I would like to eliminate them from my frequent haunts while looking for the ever elusive new figures I will probably keep going and going. Personally, I hope the Clone Wars Line goes big and Wal-Mart shoots itself in the foot just so that they might find that they do not determine what drives the retail market.
Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.  - (unknown)