Author Topic: Han Solo  (Read 25299 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Han Solo
« on: April 9, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage
"Big Head" Han (sorry I don't have little head  :P)

Modern
VOTC Han Solo

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Han Solo
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Doubt there's much to debate on this one.  Although honorable mention does go to the POTF CommTech Han.  I do use that Han Solo in my BMF Falcon display...sitting at the console near the Dejarik table.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:35 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline evilanimation

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 9, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Amazing!! I still wonder in 30 Years what will be different in 1/18th toys.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Random Thoughts:

- You used that as a source image but failed to give an honorable mention to this guy?  ;)

- Han Solo on a "Revenge of the Sith" stand?  :P

- Yeah, not a lot of debate about this choice. For the moment, this figure sets the bar for ALL figures in this scale. Any company looking to get into the 3 3/4" arena would do well to study this guy. (Playmates, I'm looking at you.)
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2010, 11:08 PM »
Yeah...I must have run out of ANH stands or something :P  I think I start running out of matching stands in about 12 figures or so :)

Chewbacca and Han are the two greatest action figures of the modern line so choosing them was easy.  Of the two, Han is my favorite.  What is unfathomable is the fact that this Han has not been released ad naseum...along with Early Bird Chewbacca

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2010, 11:12 PM »
BTW...I am much more a Luke guy these days than I was in 1979.  But Han Solo was my first ever action figure.  My mom bought it for me after I got my 4 year old vaccinations at Target in Crystal, MN.  I can still remember to this day picking several figures off of the pegs and my mom lining them up on the shelf and me picking Han.  When I was rebuying my vintage set, this Han was the first one I tracked down.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 01:23 AM »
I can't believe they don't release the VOTC one in greatest hits assortments all the time.  They ran the death out of that commtech chip version and abruptly stopped.  I would buy a few more VOTC versions for certain scenes.  Oh well.   

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 11:24 AM »
The little head version was my first ever SW figure. I loved it dearly until some kid broke his head off.  >:(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 02:04 PM »
My little head Han went into carbon freeze. Can't believe I ruined him in one of my earliest attempts at customizing. Big Head Han is such a goober.
Post sober.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 03:24 PM »
Which reminds me, I still need to find me a decent pair of vinty Solos, both versions. A figure with a dubious left arm, if you get my drift  :-\

I agree, the VOTC Solo gets 10 out of 10. Awesome figure of out favourite swashbuckling space buccaneer! Or something like that :p

PS, do I see white paint smudges on vinty Solo's shirt?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Chewbacca and Han are the two greatest action figures of the modern line so choosing them was easy.  Of the two, Han is my favorite.  What is unfathomable is the fact that this Han has not been released ad naseum...along with Early Bird Chewbacca

Agreed.  I've said it a number of times on here I know, but I really don't understand why this Han hasn't been re-released.  To me, figures like this (and EB Chewie, etc.) could be cycled in the line every year and it would be fine with me.  Or, they could put these into the Legends line, and make that line full of...actual "legends".

Back to the topic.  Agreed with what pretty much everyone else has said.  The VOTC Han Solo is my favorite figure of all time, and I think one of the best ones Hasbro has ever made (like Scott said, right along with Chewie).  Hopefully we'll see him re-released in the future, as I'd like to pick up a couple more.  I might be in the minority, but I was always a bigger fan of the "small head" Han from the vintage line - the big head Han always looked goofy to me too (but, I would still like to add one to my collection eventually).   As far as the modern incarnation though, I think it is probably perfection as far as action figures go.  Just like EB Chewie, Resurgence Luke, and Resurgence R2, they could keep releasing these throughout the life of the line and I'd be just fine with that.

Although the VOTC one blows it away now, I have to say that I really thought the Commtech Han Solo was nifty at the time.  It still doesn't look horrible by today's standards (although articulation has improved), but it just isn't up to par with the VOTC version.  Really nice figure for the time though.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:01 PM by Brian »

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 12:07 AM »
I agree w/ the VOTC Han. I have yet to score him, but the closest I have is the VTSC Endor Han w/ trench coat. Close enough.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 01:00 AM »
I like Han, but he's not without "flaw" to me...  So I have to disagree on him being up there with Chewbacca.  I'd put the new IG-88 and probably many other figures above him.

That's not to say he isn't great.  I still love my ANH Han if I never got another, I'd be just as content with what I have.  My beefs are lik ethis though:

-Non-removable vest...  Minor perhaps, but I think it's acheivable these days without adding bulk, and it's a nice feature.

-Holster Thigh Strap Separate...  This is more important to me, honestly.  Bespin Luke, and many other figures, have since sported the thigh-strap as a sculpted part of their separately sculpted holsters, and I think any Han that has the thigh-strap sculpted to his leg and leaves the holster hanging is in need of upgrade (Endor Han, ANH Han, etc.). 

That's honestly it, but it's an "it" that bothers me too, especially the holster.  I think better Ford likenesses exist too, but they're few.  That battlepack Endor Han, or the last Carbonite Han I like better.  Even AT-ST disguise Han looked a little better too I think.  SO I think there is room for improvement.

Still, this is probably my favorite Han Solo...  He doesn't have the goofy chest of Endor Han, and he was pretty revolutionary at the time.  Like I said, if we never got a new one, I'd be ok.  But I'd not turn my nose up at a new one that fixed the above either, ya know?

Big Head Han?  Ugh...  I went to school with a guy that looked like Big Head Han.  Creepy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 11:52 PM »
they are both 2 version of molded vest, the com tech cantina Han depicted a separate vest, like a  second layer of plastic.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 04:45 PM »

-Non-removable vest...  Minor perhaps, but I think it's acheivable these days without adding bulk, and it's a nice feature.

-Holster Thigh Strap Separate...  This is more important to me, honestly.  Bespin Luke, and many other figures, have since sported the thigh-strap as a sculpted part of their separately sculpted holsters, and I think any Han that has the thigh-strap sculpted to his leg and leaves the holster hanging is in need of upgrade (Endor Han, ANH Han, etc.). 

Interesting, I find these things not disturbing (excuse the strong word here  ;) )at all. A sculpted thigh strap looks too bulky imho and I don't recall seeing Han in ANH without his vest. Just my thoughts on this  :) A gunner's comm could've been added at the time though.