Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249383 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #180 on: April 2, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Just got back from the exhibit.  I got there early, before 9:30, and there was already a decent line.  The good thing was that they are letting people in early too, so I got in around 10 (when they say they are open).  It's definitely worth it (it's free, right?).  I actually won some swag waiting in line by answering a trivia question right.  And I got to sit on the Iron Throne.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 3, 2013, 01:51 PM »
I rewatched all of Season 2 on blu-ray before this season started.  So I was a few days late getting to the opener.  All in all, I really liked it.  Just enough of each story (except the Stark kids as Nicklab points out) to move along.  There definitely seems to be a different take on Margery in the show too but this was already developping to be different last season.

I'm also a little puzzled by the developments in Astapor with Dany.  I recall that Ser Barristan Selmy had disguised himself for some time as "Arstan Whitebeard" in the book, and had been accompanied by Strong Belwas.  However, I think the disguised Ser Barristan worked far better in the book than it does on screen.  A beard and a cloak don't really serve as much of a disguise for the viewing audience.

It definitely felt like they fast forwarded this whole part.  I seem to recall that Arstan Whitebeard didn't reveal his identity until late in this book.  I wasn't surprised when Ser Barristan announced himself given the "Previously on..." snippet showing his exile from Joffrey's court.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #182 on: April 3, 2013, 02:10 PM »
The show-runners probably realized it'd be silly or confusing to have him be anonymous for any extended period with viewers having IMDB at their disposal and with him being fairly recognizable.

"Where have I seen him before"  "Oh yeah!"  "But wait... why are they calling him??"  "Is he a new character or the same character?"

Plus, giving Daenerys a "Look, my Westerosi subjects really do long for my return" moment was AWESOME.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 3, 2013, 03:24 PM »
I was pretty much expecting to see Ser Barristan as soon as they showed the recaps of Season 1 & 2 at the top of the show.  They very deliberately showed the scene where Ser Barristan quit the King's Guard in Season 1.  The whole Dany storyline was very compressed, as well.  But all in all, it worked.

The scene between Tywin and Tyrion was easily the best acted scene of the episode.  Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance play these roles amazingly well!  And I definitely appreciated when Cersei said that she had heard that Tyrion had lost part of his nose in the Battle of the Blackwater.  It was a good nod to fans of the books who may have taken umbrage to Tyrion's wounds not being more severe.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 3, 2013, 03:37 PM »
I was pretty much expecting to see Ser Barristan as soon as they showed the recaps of Season 1 & 2 at the top of the show.  They very deliberately showed the scene where Ser Barristan quit the King's Guard in Season 1.  The whole Dany storyline was very compressed, as well.  But all in all, it worked.

The scene between Tywin and Tyrion was easily the best acted scene of the episode.  Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance play these roles amazingly well!  And I definitely appreciated when Cersei said that she had heard that Tyrion had lost part of his nose in the Battle of the Blackwater.  It was a good nod to fans of the books who may have taken umbrage to Tyrion's wounds not being more severe.

I agree completely on this...  I too liked the "nod" to the book with Tyrion's nose injury. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 3, 2013, 04:39 PM »
And I definitely appreciated when Cersei said that she had heard that Tyrion had lost part of his nose in the Battle of the Blackwater.  It was a good nod to fans of the books who may have taken umbrage to Tyrion's wounds not being more severe.

I was wondering about that.  I have yet to watch S2 or 3, but have read the books and have seen the ads.  So it's nice they addressed that.  I suppose it would be hard on the budget to keep Tyrion without a nose since he's a major part of the show.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #186 on: April 4, 2013, 08:01 AM »
That type of CG would be exorbitantly expensive.  It was indeed a nice nod.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #187 on: April 6, 2013, 03:40 AM »
Totally aside point that's probably been made, but holy hell does the theme song to GoT get me jacked for every episode.

Looked it up on Youtube just to listen and there's actually some interesting covers of it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #188 on: April 6, 2013, 08:56 AM »
I have that tune in my head all the time.  Brilliant music.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 6, 2013, 09:13 AM »
When I was rewatching Season 2, I skipped over the intro/music each episode (trying to conserve a minute (lol). I had to fight myself each time I did it though. I just love the opening sequence and theme.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 6, 2013, 09:29 AM »
Try being in the exhibit where it was continuously played...I got pumped up wanting to be in Westeros.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 7, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Bummed that I missed the NY Game of Thrones exhibit.  From the pics I saw online it looked very cool!

And look who wound up hanging out with Drunk Uncle last night?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 8, 2013, 07:51 AM »
Queen of Thorns, Reeds, Brotherhood without Banners.  Another quality episode.

What a nice guy willing to help Theon escape. 

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #193 on: April 8, 2013, 09:46 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OWQXQgHgq8

I liked this one, and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esDuge1iK4w

This one.

Just watched this week's sode...  Another well done series of events.

I really need to get off the pot on reading the books.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 9, 2013, 02:25 PM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/game-of-thrones-actors-doing-normal-stuff-is-so-weird

Strange...and cool.  Especially interesting to see Samwell Tarley all cleaned up, and Dany wearing clothing.

I think it speaks very well of the world that HBO has created that it feels weird to see Jamie Lannister interacting with people he's not supposed to have met yet.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.