Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249417 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #300 on: June 6, 2013, 06:18 PM »
I'm totally confused - why are there two different threads about Game of Thrones?   ???
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 6, 2013, 06:29 PM »
I'm totally confused - why are there two different threads about Game of Thrones?   ???

This one is exclusively about the HBO series.  The other is about the books, with some comments about comparisons with the show... so as not to spoil it for those who haven't read the books.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #302 on: June 7, 2013, 12:45 AM »

This one is exclusively about the HBO series.  The other is about the books, with some comments about comparisons with the show... so as not to spoil it for those who haven't read the books.
Yeah there a lot of people who have not read the books but have watched the show...we need to keep those discussions separate for spoiler reasons

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #303 on: June 7, 2013, 04:06 PM »
Thanks guys, i'll consider it and try to figure out where to start.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 8, 2013, 02:01 PM »
Hmmm.  I think that if you want to pick up where season 3 of the TV series is leaving off, you may just want to read all of Book 3.  Picking up in the middle of the book would probably make for an odd reading experience. 

I actually started readying the books following season 1 of the show, and the first book I read was A Clash of Kings.  After that, I read the rest of the series in order.  Since finishing book 5, I've actually gone back to read the first book.  There are some serious differences between the books and the series, but the overall direction seems to line up.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 10, 2013, 07:54 AM »
After last week's shocker, last night took a breather and set up the second half of aSoS for next season.  I didn't get Lady Stoneheart like I thought we would, but at least they had the balls to show GreyRobb.  Everyone now knows who Theon's torturer is (but the clues have been there since last season), but they only scratched the surface on what a sick bastard he is.

And any scene with Tywin and Tyrion is gold.

Now starts the casting rumors for new characters in season 4, mainly the Martells, specifically the Red Viper.  Going to be a long wait until March.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #306 on: June 10, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Wish the red wedding episode was th season finale, still think it was just incredible. I am sure last night set stuff up, more than i know, but was just ok.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #307 on: June 10, 2013, 11:05 AM »
It was sort of an unfocused finale after everything that happened the week before.  The Daenerys scene at the end seemed really tacked-on... seemingly to add a "wow" moment to wrap up the season.  I remembered reading something about how novel readers might be upset by a big departure in the finale from the books, which had me on-edge thinking "maybe there's an assassin among the slaves and Daenerys gets stabbed in a cliff-hanger!"  Which would have been more interesting than the crowd-surfing...

I did like when Arya got all stabby.  Sucks that Theon joins Varys and the Unsullied... I don't recall that being explicitly spelled out in the books.  Seemed like a lot was packed in for one episode.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 10, 2013, 11:16 AM »
I wondered about Theon as well.  I think that in the book that other things were sent to his father than what was sent on the show.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 10, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Without a doubt, my favorite scene from the finale was Tywin dressing down Joffrey.  Sending the King to bed without supper, and having Pycelle give him a sleeping potion?  Tywin has really stepped up to handle his monster of a grandson!  But then to follow that up with Tyrion & Tywin's exchange?  That was fantastic.

The intersection of Sam & Bran's journeys was great.  It was great just to see a little of one of the other castles on The Wall, first and foremost.  Even if it was a ruin.  And the stories of treachery at the Nightfort added to the sense of lore.  I will admit:  I was a little disappointed in one respect with these scenes, and the fact that one character wasn't included.

Jon Snow's return to The Wall was something I was waiting to see.  And Ygritte didn't disappoint in lighting him up before he got there.  I was missing that in last week's episode.  Maester Aemon's message to Stannis and the other lords of Westeros following Sam's return did appear to be something of a game changer.  Especially with regard to Stannis, Davos and Melisandre.  Clearly, Stannis's focus will be shifting elsewhere.

I have to agree that the final scene was not something that I found interesting.  But it does move forward Dany's story arc as a liberator.  Still, I thought that a closing scene with Jon Snow and what's to come in his storyline might have made for a stronger closing scene to the season.

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #310 on: June 10, 2013, 10:00 PM »
My hope that John Snow would be the eventual and final victor is fading after the last episode. I get the sense that things dont go as well for him as I hoped for. He didn't look to good.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #311 on: June 10, 2013, 11:35 PM »
Think in the downtime I need to start reading some of the books...  Time to get off the chamber pot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 11, 2013, 09:39 AM »
Time to get off the chamber pot.

You might laugh at that one in hindsight once your done reading the books.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 11, 2013, 10:03 AM »

Well played, sir.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 11, 2013, 10:23 AM »

Well played, sir.

+1

Too clever by half!

Feedback