Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249370 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2011, 01:48 PM »
I'm trying to decide myself right now on the books, it has been at least 5 years since I read them and that long since Crows came out...I may try and reread before Dance bought I may not.  Its only 3-4 weeks away!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2011, 09:54 AM »
I'm about 4 episodes behind on Game of Thrones right now.  Looking forward to finding a free evening and buzzing through them all.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2011, 11:03 PM »
Finally had a chance to watch Ep. 9 tonight.  It was the best one by far.  The final few minutes were stunning.  Glad I haven't read the books yet - I am enjoying being spoiler-free.  I kinda wish I hadn't ruined HBO's True Blood by reading all of the Sookie Stackhouse novels. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2011, 04:27 AM »
Just caught last episode tonight...  Oofah.  Genius.  Shocking.

I loved it, and can't wait for the next episode.  I wasn't sure on this series, but I'm absolutely hooked.  Makes me wanna play with Lego Knights.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2011, 11:30 AM »
How ironic, they got rid of the one actor anyone had ever heard of on that series.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2011, 12:50 PM »
How ironic, they got rid of the one actor anyone had ever heard of on that series.

Not so!  Julian Glover plays Grand Maester Pycelle.  You might recall him as this guy:

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2011, 02:01 PM »

No doubt, seems like they have written themselves into a hole when the kill all the interesting Characters and decent actors.

As long as the Imp lives, I'll hang on, but my interest sank when they killed the King and dropped to an all time low Sunday.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2011, 03:09 PM »
Man, the books get far, FAR better as they go along.  It's like every time you think you have a handle on how things are SUPPOSED to be, the floor gets dropped out from under you.  Absolutely unconventional and daring.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2011, 04:35 PM »
I agree with Bill, I think the third book is my favorite of the 4 so far which is saying a lot because the first one is really well done.

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2011, 08:35 PM »
No doubt, seems like they have written themselves into a hole when the kill all the interesting Characters and decent actors.

Well they're following the book so GRRM is four books into this "hole" you speak of.
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2011, 12:24 AM »
The ending of last week's episode was about as dark as anything I've seen in this series thus far.  And there were definitely some more shades of that in the season finale.  Without getting into too much detail, I think the plot turns were fantastic.  And it definitely left me wanting to see what happens in season 2.  I may be hooked to the point where I'm going to start reading the novels.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:29 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2011, 08:15 AM »
I'm upto part 2 of book 3 and just had one of those big WTF just happened moments, I cant believe it just happened
The series has done the books justice I will say that
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2011, 03:54 AM »
Caught up with this tonight watching the last episode...

Outstanding!  And freaky.  And the dragon is beyond smoking hot (no pun).  I'd watch every week even if the show's plot sucked, so long as they promised her nude at least once every episode.

It's a very weird set-up though...  So many problems, so much complexity...  Wars, supernatural **** in every direction...  It's really interesting with all these different "fronts" if you will.

I think I'll keep watching the show before I maybe pick up the books...  I'm not sure I want to get into watching it after I've read something, so I'll maybe just wait to read the books once the series runs its course.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Granted, I went into this show with low expectations not having read any of the books but, boy, was I pleasantly surprised. Great ending to a strong first season!
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2011, 07:52 PM »

Well they're following the book so GRRM is four books into this "hole" you speak of.

Well you know what they say about digging a hole, the more you dig the deeper and wider it gets. 

As long as the Imp lives to the end, I will keep watching.